AIB. All about Admiralty Interview Board - Officer Selection

RabC

MIA
I mean the qualifications to become am officer in the RN are far far lower than what it takes to get into Oxford. Seems a strange comparison to make. Unless you're suggesting the very best and brightest acedmically that the country has are the ones that are attempting the AIB

I know in my university the medicine and engineering courses had a really high failure rate (some of the engineering courses had a 40%+ initial failure rate) whereas my nice little arts course was more or less impossible to fail. The only ones who failed where the ones that didn't even bother to sit the exam

I suppise ultimately I don't know how good a tool the AIB is for accessing candidates. And I never will definitively know. So no point arguing about it. But to my civilian eyes I don't really see how it does
1. Whatever qualifications are required for Oxford have no relevance to what’s required to enter BRNC. ANYONE can pass a written exam with enough practice, the whole point of the AIB is to assess the person not their qualifications.
2. You sum it up perfectly, you are a civilian and as such will never understand the military or what it is looking for in people.

TomMarley

I started my application and have been told no medical, no eye test, no Psychometric test thy will just assess qualifications. not sure what happens next but I ave submitted everything they wanted to apply as a logistics officer.

1. Whatever qualifications are required for Oxford have no relevance to what’s required to enter BRNC. ANYONE can pass a written exam with enough practice, the whole point of the AIB is to assess the person not their qualifications.
2. You sum it up perfectly, you are a civilian and as such will never understand the military or what it is looking for in people.
And one with such an impeccable academic track record.

"... my nice little arts course was more or less impossible to fail. The only ones who failed where the ones that didn't even bother to sit the exam..."

The envy of every aspiring piss artist twixt Netley & Nagasaki :ROLL EYES:

Wightsparker

War Hero

"... my nice little arts course was more or less impossible to fail. The only ones who failed where the ones that didn't even bother to sit the exam..."

But you left out Niton, Ningwood, Newchurch, Nettlestone and Newport......

:)

Lovablesnowman

Midshipman

I mean I also do have a level 9 post grad in law.....

But by all means snipe away if it makes you feel better

Yeah. Mine was originally in may and I have yet to hear but I guess they are just going through the list and notifying
I was due to go on the Wednesday of the first week they stopped doing face to face AIB's and haven't heard anything yet. I guess they must be scheduling interviews based on the branches they require not the order they were booked in.

Lawlark

I was due to go on the Wednesday of the first week they stopped doing face to face AIB's and haven't heard anything yet. I guess they must be scheduling interviews based on the branches they require not the order they were booked in.
Not sure about that ... my BOP is Submarines which is supposedly super high demand but still haven't heard anything. Ray do you have any more info about the people who have had interviews already?

I mean I also do have a level 9 post grad in law.....

But by all means snipe away if it makes you feel better
It sounds as though you might be over-qualified. This is part of what the Admiral presiding over the AIB says to the other board members at the start of proceedings in John Winton's highly recommended book, 'We Joined the Navy':

..."As this is the first day," he said, "I may as well refresh your memories on one or two items of policy."
The board slumped to their seats.
"Remember we are not looking for normal boys. We are looking for boys who will make naval officers. There's a difference. We are looking for half-wits. The service will add the other half in its own way and in its own time."
The board nodded.
"None of these boys will be very intelligent. If they had any intelligence they wouldn't be here. They'd be applying for jobs outside which carry more pay and less work, like most of their contemporaries. But lack of intelligence need not concern us. An intelligent man never makes a good naval officer. He embarrasses everybody..."
Q. What’s the difference between a lawyer and a jellyfish?
A. One is a spineless, poisonous blob. The other is a form of sea life.

Zoidberg

War Hero
I mean the qualifications to become am officer in the RN are far far lower than what it takes to get into Oxford. Seems a strange comparison to make. Unless you're suggesting the very best and brightest acedmically that the country has are the ones that are attempting the AIB
My point was more to point out that after an amount of time, in Oxford University's case 900+ years, an organisation will know what makes a candidate successful. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with somebody's level of intelligence, but rather their non-cognitive skills.

It takes different skills to be successful in different areas. For instance, I'd never pass a fine arts degree because I can't draw but I'd never get through the selection process for the course. The selection process works.

The AIB are also not looking for an established leader, they're looking for the potential for candidates to develop leadership skills aligned with what the RN requires from its officers at BRNC and beyond.

So I just got a call from AIB.
They asked me if i was free on friday the 24th of april i said yes then they said you're a UY candidate right i said no SUY at which point they said oh you'll have to wait for AIB to return to normal then.
But what he told me the new format before dropping the SUY bomb. It's basically an all day skype event with a long interview followed by a presentation. He said there would be an email covering everything sent out to me.
Good luck UY and direct entry candidates.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Royal Marines Admiralty Interview Board (AIB) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
NavyStuff2020 Passed the virtual AIB during corona virus pandemic with competitive score (Early May) Joining the Royal Navy 20
SeaBiscuit RFA Officer Cadet Interview and AIB RFA 1
T Officer Inreview Questions Pre-AIB Joining the Royal Navy 2
C AIB revision Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Selection after AIB Joining the Royal Navy 2
D Warfare Officer AIB Feb 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
S AIB fail - join RNR? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
A AIB waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 66
O Aircrew AIB - February 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 1
J How soon after AIB (FAA) is the Aircrew Medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
C AIB study books - current and good Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C June AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Aircrew Officer Pilot - Upcoming AIB Prep. Joining the Royal Navy 1
C AIB swimming test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C AIB pass rate Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Upcoming AIB for TMO Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Y AIB Layout Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
L AIB and aircrew medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
H AIB Prep - What are the keys to success? Joining the Royal Navy 4
G How often do the AIB interviews take place? Joining the Royal Navy 5
C AIB - no return Joining the Royal Navy 3
G AIB 21st may 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
woody28 AIB score?? Joining the Royal Navy 4
H PANDORA / T Score - FATS/AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Does anyone have experience with the JobTestPrep guide for AIB? RFA 4
C AIB - 2018 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A AIB Joining the Royal Navy 3
Kelvin AIB Diary - 2018 Format Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
W AIB Current Royal Navy Operations Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
W AIB Questionnaire and Final Prep Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
W Passed AIB however told selection unlikely Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
J Passed AIB with a near Perfect Score, what can I do while I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
photface New AIB format fitness Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
W AIB Interview Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
M Commissioned without going to AIB? Submariners 12
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
D Planning Exercises - AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M AIB date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
WannabeAdmiral Yet another AIB experience Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
WannabeAdmiral The temple of the almighty AIB soup The Gash Barge 26
TechFin Can you delay an AIB? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Numeracy for AIB. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
photface Current affairs for AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
B Will my AIB score get me into Dartmouth for Observer Joining the Royal Navy 5