AIB. All about Admiralty Interview Board - Officer Selection

JRA

Midshipman
Recently passed AIB. I was told ‘borderline’ - I suspect because my PLT didn’t go well. I’m applying for submarine warfare however, so does the lack of volunteers/understrength of the service put me in a good place for selection?

baldie

Midshipman
Recently passed AIB. I was told ‘borderline’ - I suspect because my PLT didn’t go well. I’m applying for submarine warfare however, so does the lack of volunteers/understrength of the service put me in a good place for selection?
Best people to speak to are your ACLO, they'll be able to give a rough guess... Bearing in mind I know people who were told to be confident who weren't selected and a couple (very lucky!) who were borderline but got in.

xDriscox

Hi all, I recently passed my AIB and this thread was very useful to me. IF anyone wants to ask any questions on format etc I'm happy to help.

cy213

Hi all, I recently passed my AIB and this thread was very useful to me. IF anyone wants to ask any questions on format etc I'm happy to help.
Hi xDriscox.

I have my AIB in a few weeks time. Doing everything I can to prepare. Wondered if you had any general advice for me? I'm reading up on a bit of leadership theory, practising answers to interview questions, brushing up on Naval knowledge and current affairs, doing practice runs for the psychometric tests and obviously attempting to keep fit!

I know for a fact I won't be able to cover everything and I'm sure during the assessments it will be a roll of the dice as to whether they go well or not. I'm particularly nervous about the planning and leadership exercises. Any general tips here?

Thanks!

Any general tips here?
Having just passed my AIB, some of the best advice I can give is to be the most confident version of yourself. Make sure you can ace the fitness test and then you've got a load off your mind for the next day. Try and bond with your syndicate as best you can, get to know their strengths and weaknesses, and when things don't go to plan in the PLTs (which they wont) keep positive and calm. The psychometric tests I found a lot harder than any practice ones, but honestly I would prioritise your fitness and service knowledge first. As for the PlanEx, information retention is critical.
Hope that helps some!

cy213

Having just passed my AIB, some of the best advice I can give is to be the most confident version of yourself. Make sure you can ace the fitness test and then you've got a load off your mind for the next day. Try and bond with your syndicate as best you can, get to know their strengths and weaknesses, and when things don't go to plan in the PLTs (which they wont) keep positive and calm. The psychometric tests I found a lot harder than any practice ones, but honestly I would prioritise your fitness and service knowledge first. As for the PlanEx, information retention is critical.
Hope that helps some!
Thanks for the advice here. Much appreciated! I'll just prep as much as I can and as you say be positive and confident during the 2 days, no matter what happens. I'll do a general debrief here after and pass on any helpful advice from my experience.

I was wondering does anyone have any experience of failing and what their next steps were? I'm just trying to formulate a contingency plan in case this doesn't work out for whatever reason. I think I would reapply straight away as a rating and hopefully build a career from there with the RN.

Thanks.

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
I was wondering does anyone have any experience of failing and what their next steps were? I'm just trying to formulate a contingency plan in case this doesn't work out for whatever reason. I think I would reapply straight away as a rating and hopefully build a career from there with the RN.

Thanks.
Hopefully it doesn't come to that, it will depend on how badly you do! You may be asked to re-apply, which used to have a min 12month wait (but that may have changed), you may be told to re-apply in a couple of years when you have more life experience (as happened to someone on my board), you may be recommended a Rating role, you may be told to try a different career (this is less likely as the AFCO probably won’t send someone completely unprepared or unlikely to have a chance).

Well done for asking the question and preparing an answer just in case, now go smash it out the park!

cy213

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, it will depend on how badly you do! You may be asked to re-apply, which used to have a min 12month wait (but that may have changed), you may be told to re-apply in a couple of years when you have more life experience (as happened to someone on my board), you may be recommended a Rating role, you may be told to try a different career (this is less likely as the AFCO probably won’t send someone completely unprepared or unlikely to have a chance).

Well done for asking the question and preparing an answer just in case, now go smash it out the park!
Thanks for the advice!

Maran?4

Midshipman
Thanks for the advice here. Much appreciated! I'll just prep as much as I can and as you say be positive and confident during the 2 days, no matter what happens. I'll do a general debrief here after and pass on any helpful advice from my experience.

Thanks.
I sat the AIB last October and failed it miserably. I was even told to look for a different career . But I now go to raleigh in 2 weeks in a completely different branch to what my officer one was.
I was heartbroken at the time but always said I would just go as a rating if AIB didn't work out for me, I just didn't want to regret not trying for it then 5 years down the line thinking 'what if'

For me the hardest part was the planex. Just try to absorb as much info as you can. My memory was like a sieve that day.

cy213

I sat the AIB last October and failed it miserably. I was even told to look for a different career . But I now go to raleigh in 2 weeks in a completely different branch to what my officer one was.
I was heartbroken at the time but always said I would just go as a rating if AIB didn't work out for me, I just didn't want to regret not trying for it then 5 years down the line thinking 'what if'

For me the hardest part was the planex. Just try to absorb as much info as you can. My memory was like a sieve that day.
That's the area that I'm most apprehensive about! I'm going to practice some memory puzzles, games etc. Retention on information under pressure is something I definitely need to work on!

I'm sorry the officer route didn't work out for you, but chuffed for you that you start Raleigh in a few weeks time! I'm sure with the setback you will be extra motivated to do well and I'm sure you'll build a great career so best of luck!

I'm 27 now and have went through exactly the same 'what if?' mindset. I'm absolutely gunning for a career in the RN. Whatever happens at the AIB, pass or fail, I'm sure it'll be an experience which will help me further down the line. Fingers crossed!

mattb

Midshipman
Hi xDriscox.

I have my AIB in a few weeks time. Doing everything I can to prepare. Wondered if you had any general advice for me? I'm reading up on a bit of leadership theory, practising answers to interview questions, brushing up on Naval knowledge and current affairs, doing practice runs for the psychometric tests and obviously attempting to keep fit!

I know for a fact I won't be able to cover everything and I'm sure during the assessments it will be a roll of the dice as to whether they go well or not. I'm particularly nervous about the planning and leadership exercises. Any general tips here?

Thanks!
Speak up - remember that they can only mark what they see! But at the same time balance that with letting others speak too; if you don't then you'll be marked down as not being a team player.

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
I used an app called "6min SDT trainer" to help prepare for those questions in the PlanEx. I also posted some practice PlanExs on here some time ago which you might be able to get off my profile or by going deep into this thread somewhere.

cy213

Hi all. So I said I would post my experiences of the AIB here. Unfortunately I did not pass. My preparation was completely wrong and the pressure just got to me! So here are some of my observations and tips:

Try and practice retention of information under pressure (timed environment). The plan-ex for me was difficult. The information that I picked up was quickly contributed by the other candidates and I had nothing left to offer and quickly fell behind in our plan.

TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF THE FIRST FULL DAY. They will run through the PLT in depth, albeit, at a very fast pace. Try your very best to pick up everything they are telling you. When it comes to the actual task, take your time to get the basics correct and everything else should fall into place.

The Psychometric tests are straight forward, although a bit more difficult.

The interview was actually a pleasant experience, where they genuinely just want to explore your background, motivations, qualifications and a bit of knowledge.

It will be one of the most difficult and high pressured days you will have ever experienced. But just remember, that is exactly the way they want it in order to test you. Remember why you are there, what you are capable of and try and see it as a way to show off your competency.

Unfortunately I was simply not good enough and to be honest I'm fine with that. I learned a lot about myself over the few days and also met a fantastic group of like-minded people who I'll be staying in touch with. I have my debrief next week and will be changing my application from Officer to Rating. Looking forward to starting Raleigh, hopefully inside the next 6 months!

Good luck to all attending the AIB, and if anyone has any more questions I will certainly give it a go answering for you.

jrwlynch

Lantern Swinger
Hi all. So I said I would post my experiences of the AIB here. Unfortunately I did not pass. My preparation was completely wrong and the pressure just got to me! So here are some of my observations and tips:
Good drills for trying, and the same again for having a good look at why you didn't make it and sharing it with others.

Very best of luck with your life in the Navy.

Panther

A sample of the type of planning ex used at AIB, given to me by a recently passed out middie. I have a few more I will upload on request but didn't want to spam the forum.
In this exercise, when they say,
"Ozwaldo tells you that the truck is using too much fuel and that its 4-wheel drive has to be engaged, consumption will drop by half from 8 kpg. Unfortunately there is not sufficient equipment in the garage to repair the consumption problem." (Page 2, line 2)

Does that mean the kpg goes to 16kpg?

Attachments

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
In this exercise, when they say,
"Ozwaldo tells you that the truck is using too much fuel and that its 4-wheel drive has to be engaged, consumption will drop by half from 8 kpg. Unfortunately there is not sufficient equipment in the garage to repair the consumption problem." (Page 2, line 2)

Does that mean the kpg goes to 16kpg?
Goes to half FROM 8kpg, implying it starts at 8kpg.

I am aware this looks like a ******** answer, it is intended to set your thought process in motion. The AIB wants to see your thought process.

Have just had my papers raised and was wondering if anyone can clarify something for me (preferably someone has completed AIB this year.)
Dits are that the current affairs essay has been scrapped, yet documentation does not state this. Could anyone give me a definitive answer?

Maran?4

Midshipman
Have just had my papers raised and was wondering if anyone can clarify something for me (preferably someone has completed AIB this year.)
Dits are that the current affairs essay has been scrapped, yet documentation does not state this. Could anyone give me a definitive answer?
I did it last October and the essay had been removed then, I'm sure someone else will come along who did it more recently can tell you aswell, but I assume they never put it back in.