AIB. All about Admiralty Interview Board - Officer Selection

Due to popular demand, have a load of stuff:

Remember, these may not be what you actually get, they were given to me as 'an idea of the type of task you may be set'.

Attachments

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks Ninja. Presumably the other branches would allow this also?
Not heard of anyone other than surgeons/anaesthetists working in private healthcare during their core working week. I imagine most other medical branch personnel, such as Nurses, Physios, Radiologists, etc., would do agency work in their own time, having first sought permission and invested in their own insurance, etc.

Not heard of anyone other than surgeons/anaesthetists working in private healthcare during their core working week. I imagine most other medical branch personnel, such as Nurses, Physios, Radiologists, etc., would do agency work in their own time, having first sought permission and invested in their own insurance, etc.
Apologies, by branches I meant doctors in the army and RAF.

The changes for the 2018 AIB are out:
  1. The fitness test is now conducted on arrival and the result not told to you until the final debrief on day 2.
  2. The essay has been removed and replaced: “the written assessment will be undertaken as part of the Planning Exercise, when you will be required to produce a brief for the Board on your final course of action. You will be provided with a template”
  3. The marking framework is stated to have changed to the following competencies: Adaptability and Initiative, Leadership, Communications and Influence, Teamwork and Collaboration, Values and Standards, and Awareness and Understanding.
Does this now mean the planning exercise has lost a component and is now a written assessment or is it the same but now an even bigger component of the AIB with the addition of a written element?

Last edited:

photface

Lantern Swinger
  1. The fitness test is now conducted on arrival and the result not told to you until the final debrief on day 2.
  2. The essay has been removed and replaced: “the written assessment will be undertaken as part of the Planning Exercise, when you will be required to produce a brief for the Board on your final course of action. You will be provided with a template”
  3. The marking framework is stated to have changed to the following competencies: Adaptability and Initiative, Leadership, Communications and Influence, Teamwork and Collaboration, Values and Standards, and Awareness and Understanding.
Does this now mean the planning exercise has lost a component and is now a written assessment or is it the same but now an even bigger component of the AIB with the addition of a written element?
Kelvin,

Where did this come from? Would they have released this to AFCOs yet?

R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ACLO/Officer Careers Centre sent through an email from Commander AIB with the alterations, yours is probably on the way too. If you're wanting to chase it up I'd contact someone from the liaison centre, the letter is quite vague so you'll probably want to speak to someone about it anyway.

This, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAF76S9fa0E ,might help explain.

To quote from the RNTM " The content of the individual elements of the assessment process remains largely unchanged with the exception of the Essay, which has been removed. A written assessment will now form part of the Planning Exercise, along with an individual presentation (verbal briefing), as before. During the interview, candidates must be able to demonstrate an understanding of the role of the Armed Forces, the Naval Service’s part in this and how candidates might be expected to contribute as an officer. Candidates will also be asked to reflect on their own experiences, both whilst at the AIB and more generally."

Apologies if this has been previously covered, I just had a question about how you should address the officers conducting the AIB interview and other components. If you learn the rank insignia, should you say eg "yes Lieutenant Commander", or is this incomplete without knowing their surname? How do you say 'you', as in "as you said earlier" for example.

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
Apologies if this has been previously covered, I just had a question about how you should address the officers conducting the AIB interview and other components. If you learn the rank insignia, should you say eg "yes Lieutenant Commander", or is this incomplete without knowing their surname? How do you say 'you', as in "as you said earlier" for example.
I’d stick to ‘Sir’ or ‘Ma’am’ - it’s not common to say ‘yes (insert rank)’. And ‘you’ is fine in the sentence you used - but if you’re talking to another officer than the one you’re referring to, then you could use their rank eg ‘as the Lt Cdr said earlier’. I hope this makes sense. And I think you might be overthinking things; the board won’t judge you on this as long as you’re polite!

Remember that you're not in the navy yet - so you won't be expected to say all the formalities. Just get basic politeness down, and you'll be fine. That's how it was when I was at AIB, at least.