AIB Advice- The condensed version (Updated regularly)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
AE_Officer(Soon_to_be) said:
Silverfox - Iknow the brochure you are talking about, essential bedtime reading pre-AIB, if you want to add a little more then i highly recommend this book Royal Navy Handbook
Although there may be a new edition out now
AE_Officer(Soon_to_be) said:
One of my old school friends is preparing for an AIB and asked for some help I told him to look at this site.
I then decided I should put something back in (everything I told him over the phone)
So here it is:

PART 1 PREPARING FOR THE AIB
Tips for preparing (Apologies if you've already thought of this most of it is common sense)

1. Any Questions ask your ACLO

2. Buy the Navy News (or pick it up free from the AFCO when you are asking your ACLO those questions!). I know some of the puns are dreadful but the inside front page is great for knowing what the Navy is up to, and what ships are where.

3. Buy the bleep test cd Clicky Practice it.

4. Buy the Royal Navy Handbook excellent bedside reading Clicky

5. Try to arrange a visit to a relevant section on a Navy station/ship. I phoned up the PR Officer at Culdrose and got a visit to 750 Sqn and a free flight too!! This sounds good in the interview at AIB and will also help you to have a better idea of your training pipeline as you can talk to people that are doing it! Navy days are ALWAYS worth a visit I went to Plymouth and it was a fantastic day out! My girlfriend enjoyed it and she has no real Navy interest/experience so drag your family along too!

6. Read these forums, before you ask any questions hit the search button type in what you want to know (e.g., "AIB" read all the posts to see if your question has been answered, if it hasn’t ask. But please check your spelling and don’t ask stupid questions e.g. "will I get to do underwater knife fighting?" You'll only get the P1$$ taken out of you! Another AIB Thread here :Clicky

7. Learn what Ships/Aircraft the Navy has and what they do. Learn how to recognise them. I made crib sheets with each ships role, weapons systems and names of current ships. I also put several pictures of the ships on each sheet and labelled the clues I used to tell them apart (location of harpoon/radomes/shape of hull). I also donated a copy of them all to the CO of the local Sea Cadet unit, not only were they happy to have it, but they also had some tips on Ship recognition.

8. Memorise everything on the Q101 (the form you send of with your leadership/teamwork experience etc). Easiest way to do this is to photocopy it before you send it! Keep the photocopy post the original! Also have in mind 1 or 2 examples of teamwork/leadership etc so you can elaborate in the interview, write these down also.

9. You already have Crib sheets on the Ships/Aircraft. Now make one up on Current Operations. Don’t forget all the business as usual Navy affairs. The Navy doesn’t just live in Iraq/Afghanistan, learn about Drug Patrols, fishery protection (not too much just so when asked what else the navy do you have some idea!)

10. Research your chosen career path (in my case Aircrew) e.g., what happens once you pass AIB e.g.. BRNC, Basic Observer Course etc. Learn what each of these phases involves they will question you on it (they asked me anyway!) The info is on the handouts from AFCO, and easily found on the Royal Navy website Clicky

11. Practice writing short essays use any old english textbooks/bitesize revision to refresh on how to write essays (you get about 1.5 pages A4 at AIB). Standard questions are "Are I.D. Cards necessary?", "Should Britain maintain a Nuclear Deterrent"
12. Don't worry it isn’t that hard! If you would like a copy of my crib sheets send me a pm

PART 2 THE ADMIRALTY INTERVIEW BOARD
What happens and what to do when you're there!

DAY 1
Don't be late! Get there on time!

1700hrs - tour of AIB followed by briefing and issue of trainers and overalls as well as water bottle and kit bag

1830 - Dinner - must wear full suit for every meal everyday, order off menu, loads of choice mmmmmm (avoid the soup I spilt some on my suit which I had for my interview and looked a bit of a moppet!) Chat over dinner, don’t eat in silence be SOCIABLE IT WONT HURT! Everyone else is likely as nervous as you are. A Senior rating will eat with you chat to him too, he/she (for ease of typing I’m going to assume he, sexist I know but these forums aren't known for the PCness!) has been in the Navy, and he's probably seen lots of candidates, chat to him he can give types or at least spin some great dits!

After dinner free time - go to the pub! It’s a must unless u18.
Don’t forget to peg out! And don't forget your pass to get back in!
The Pub is a time where you can relax and get to know your syndicate, talk to everyone but focus on your particular team, I believe we were the best bonded team and we all passed bar one who was very young and told he needed a little more life experience (He said he'd definitely be back!)
DO NOT GET DRUNK!!

2300 - Shore leave expires, lights out

DAY 2

0615 - Wake up tune!

0645- 0715 breakfast

0725 - Muster in restroom

0745 - Testing begins
The pack you are sent has some excellent practice questions although somewhat easier then the real thing! Some of the questions are similar to I.Q test stuff. Once you get the pack you'll know what to practice

1145 - Practice planning exercise - Doesn’t really prepare you for the question barrage and the practice is far too simple. Gives you an idea though, just uses the imagination.

1345 - PLT practice - good fun, listen in because there are techniques you MUST use, you might get wet depending on if the staff want to make you all jump in! We were told to run through into the room and duck are heads into the pool as we all looked sleepy for the testing phase and the fact we'd just had a nice lunch! Revise your techniques in the evening before the pub (with team). The techniques are on posters in the candidate’s room and each cabin. Read them when you are bored/before you go to bed.

1530 - MSFT (bleep test) you have a short 5-10 min warm up by PTI. The hall is so slippery that you land on the line and slip about 6 inches on each turn, no exaggeration! The staff says you can expect to get a level lower than your usual (I guess they take it into account). I was told it is used to measure motivation and is not a pass or fail, best advice is give it your all run till you puke! We were told that they will be more impressed by someone fat who runs till they puke but only gets level 9.1 then some fit guy who stops at level 12 because he thinks he’s done enough, when he knows he could get to level 14.

1630 - Jog back to AIB (5mins)

1830 - Dinner

Go to the pub again have a wind down and really work on becoming a good team.
2300 - Leave expires, lights out

DAY 3 - THE BIG ONE

0615 - Call The Hands

0645 - 0715 Breakfast

0725 gather in restroom in overalls ad trainers boards 1 & 2 for PLTs. board 3 suits for planning ex

PLTs - right the time to shine, all the problems are really simple, you will easily make a solution in your 15min silent planning time. Leaderless task, each member try to say part of the plan, let each member have a crack. Speak up to maximum volume without shouting. Don’t take control but don’t say anything, be really CAMP! I mean it support everyone with encouraging comments! Follow the rules! Use the Techniques you were shown you've had nearly 24 hours ton learn them and they are for your own safety! Its one big game so play up to it. Leader task - same as above but really don’t get to involved get to a position where you can be in the middle of the team if possible. Group hugs at the end! No really!

Planning ex - by far the most pressured task. Get soo much bloody information, make notes quickly as possible. The officer will call you in and present a problem. You will have about 7mins to come up with a plan in front of the board. I was told that I started to chair the planning which was good, don’t try to take control though, and just try to get a group consensus on the plan/aims. One person presents the aims, one person presents the plan. Then the questioning begins, it is timed on each person, about 5-6mins I think but seems like weeks. The SDT are really easy figures but then they add them to times events happened, again easy, but a lot to remember. Keep switched on because at any time you could be questioned! If she presents a better plan take it! She might propose a worse one though!
Finally you will leave and be called back in one by one to present your final plan, 2mins with just the map. Deviate from the group plan if you wish, or not, we had both on our team and all passed.

0915 approx - boards 1 & 2 got to AIB to do Planning ex. board 3 to PLT

1030 approx - board 3 to AIB Boards 1 &2 complete planning ex

1100 approx - Interviews conducted - 25- 30 mins, each board member talks to you for about 8-10 mins. I mean talks, it is very relaxed. They focus on all the things that are in the Q101 application form, they touch on naval knowledge too.
The Interviews are actually quite good fun! When asked why I had chosen Observer over pilot I quoted what an observer in training at 750 had said he called pilots "Taxi Drivers" and said that the Observer was the one "in control of the aircraft the pilot steers it" to which the Lt Cdr who asked the question said "You do realise the Captain is a Pilot?". I look across and see the wings on his sleeve. "Yes sir, I do". Lt Cdr replies "That’s O.K. I'm an Observer lets carry on." Later on in the interview the Captain asks "We may offer pilot rather then Observer, how would you feel about being a taxi driver" Touché!
In my debrief report my ACLO said that in the notes about the interview it said "Appropriate use of humour", so I guess they saw the funny side!
(NOTE: I DO NOT RECOMMEND/ENDORSE CALLING THE CAPTAIN OF THE BOARD A TAXI DRIVER...DO NOT DO IT ON YOUR AIB!)

1330 approx - Results and debrief - only takes about 5 mins then you report straight to reception, if unsuccessful a taxi will be rang, if successful fill out some forms and go straight to medical. Yes all sweaty and smelly ha-ha!

Medicals – Can’t say too much on this as I failed my medical for Aircrew (eyesight let me down, so I'm joining as AEO (I have a degree in Aero Eng)

THATS ALL FOLKS

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Re: AIB Advice- The abridged version.

Potential_Officer said:
Potential_Officer’s Guide to the AIB, with help from the posts of AE_Officer(Soon_to_be) and Blimy, alot of theirs is copied and compiled here.
Before your AIB Preparation:
1) Buy the MOD Guide to the Royal Navy, it is much more in depth than the free version your ACLO will give you, however, it is well worth comparing it to the RN website as it will need a more upto date view on ships numbers.

2) Read a Broadsheet Newspaper regularly, at least buy one of the Sunday Broadsheets and have a look in their News Review section or similar. Also either buy or download the latest Navy News, great for finding out the latest news about the Navy. Also think about Current Affairs and see if you could write a short essay on it, remember having an Introduction, a Main Body, and a clear conclusion. The Trident debate comes up regularly, know about it and the issues around it.

3) Ask your ACLO any questions you may have, they are there to help and it is in their interest that you pass as well.

4) Get as much experience with the Navy as you can, anything from Navy Days and the Navy Air Shows to even going to Portsmouth Dockyard and learning about Naval History, every little helps! If you are in the Sea Cadets then make use of that opportunity, and candidates still under 18 in the Summer should pester their ACLO to get them loaded onto the CCF Summer Camp at BRNC, awesome week at the College and really will confirm if this is what you want to do or not. Ask your ACLO for anything else you can possibly get to see the Navy in Action as it were

5) Read these forums, but don’t ask any stupid questions! This thread should answer all the key ones so search through it first!

6) Practice doing the bleep test, and at the very least do some personal exercise, the Bleep Test offers relatively easy marks so don’t miss out on it, but do not panic! It is not a pass or fail test, what it is are EASY MARKS!

7) Be really sad and make Sheets outlying the major facts and figures of each ship and major RN Aircraft, learn to be able to describe the key features of the surface vessels (or if you are going for Aircrew or Subs for those) from for’d to aft. Learn what each ship looks like. As well as see what the Navy is building, and where the Navy (that includes the Royal Marines whether they like it or not!) is currently operating. Remember the Navy does exist outside of the Gulf Region, with Fisheries Protection and Drugs Patrols.

8 ) Know your career path! The Board need to see that you have looked at your future, from Militarisation Phase through to Fleet Board, and beyond.

9) Don’t Panic, bring a sense of humour and humility, the ability to laugh at yourself is very important, but at the same time don’t be the board jester.

10) Practice the Tests they give you in the AIB joining pack, more preparation you do now the more likely you are to pass the tests!

11) Photocopy the Completed Biographical questionnaire, Q101, before you send it off, and remember what answers you put for each category, the answers you put on the form are explored in the interview, so be able to further explain and back them up.

The Admiralty Interview Board

The Big few days have finally arrived, you are on a train to Portsmouth Harbour, and the nerves finally kick in, keep calm! Go through your revision notes, and sit back and watch the Hampshire countryside speed past...
On Arrival (if you can plan to arrive at Portsmouth for 1600, allowing you an hour to get from Portsmouth to HMS Sultan, and some leeway for trouble!), after getting a Taxi from Gosport ferry, (there are loads there don’t worry about having to phone one, but get and keep the receipt!), report to the Duty Rating in the AIB office, sign in and sign some disclosure forms, you are then shown to your cabin and around the AIB Building, after this go to the Candidates rest room and make yourself known to the other candidates, talk to each other play some pool, the more gelled you all are, and the more you support each other the more likely you are to pass. Also you will get to speak to the AIB Staff Ratings a fair bit, they are a gold-mine of information, use them!

After a Brief by the Senior Rating and one of the Board Officer’s you will be led to scran, the food there is brilliant, (by Navy Standards!) again talk to the other candidates, BUT focus on getting to know the other candidates in your board, these are the people you will be working with the most. The evening is then yours, I would STRONGLY advise all candidates over 18 to go to the pub, have a few drinks, but remember to pin in and out, and take your AIB date forms with you for use as ID to get back in. The pub is a good opportunity to relax outside of the fence of HMS Sultan. Have a few beers by all means but STAY SOBER!

The First Full Day
Call the Hands is at 0615 (if your lucky it is the A-Team!) although most wake up before to shower shave and be ready for breakfast on time.
You will sit:
* a 20-minute verbal reasoning test designed to demonstrate your general reasoning and ability with words
* a 13-minute non-verbal reasoning test, again measuring your reasoning power, but this time without the emphasis on verbal skills
* a 25-minute numerical test covering numerical fluency, reasoning and statistics
* a 15-minute speed and accuracy test, measuring your concentration and mental agility
* a 15-minute spatial orientation test, involving directions, relative positions and movement
* a short general service knowledge test to provide the Board with an indication of your research into the Royal Navy.
Essay: you will then be given 45 minutes to write about a subject chosen from a list of four topics so we can assess your written communication skills.
You will then get to sit a MUCH simplified practice Planning Exercise, however it does give you a good idea into the format and the time you have to do things. Then its lunchtime!

In the Afternoon, you will first be taken over to the PLT (Potential Leadership Tasks) gym to practice the methods used in the PLTs, you will also get stacks of advice from the Ratings on how to improve your technique and how to use your voice, ignore this at your peril! All in all this is a good laugh.
After this you bus over to HMS Sultan’s gym for the Multi-Stage Fitness Assessment, the Bleep Test, not a pass or fail test, but like I said earlier they are looking for “Motivation†and they are comparatively easy marks to pick up!
After a run back to the AIB, and hopefully you will shower the Afternoon is yours, so if you really want you can go into Gosport for a meal or just go down the pub after dinner. Get back from the pub a little early to run through the PLT techniques with your board, and run through potential tasks with them, all good practice!

The Real Testing Day
Depending on the Number of Boards it will probably run something like this:

After breakfast, Boards 1&2 to the Gym for PLTs, Board 3 Begin the Planning Ex. Either way you will do it all:
PLTs - right the time to shine, all the problems are really simple, you will easily make a solution in your 15 mins silent planning time. Leaderless task, each member try to say part of the plan, let each member have a crack. Speak up to maximum volume without shouting. Don’t take control but don’t say anything, be really CAMP! I mean it support everyone with encouraging comments! Follow the rules! Use the Techniques you were shown you've had nearly 24 hours to learn them and they are for your own safety! Its one big game so play up to it. Leader task - same as above but really don’t get too involved get to a position where you can be in the middle of the team if possible. If the take you are leading goes tits up, step back look at it again, and ask your team for advice! Group hugs at the end! No really!

Planning ex - by far the most pressurised task. Get soo much bloody information, make notes quickly as possible. The officer will call you in and present a problem. You will have about 7 mins to come up with a plan in front of the board. I was told that I started to chair the planning which was good, don’t try to take control though, and just try to get a group consensus on the plan/aims, ensure that if you have a stroke of genius you don’t just say that’s it we are going to do this, ask your fellow board members they might be able to improve it. One person presents the aims, one person presents the plan. Then the questioning begins, it is timed on each person, about 5-6 mins I think but seems like weeks. The SDT are really easy figures but then they add them to times events happened, again easy, but a lot to remember. Keep switched on because at any time you could be questioned, if the other candidate doesn’t know it, work out the answer for each and every question! If s/he presents a better plan take it! S/he might propose a worse one though!
Finally you will leave and be called back in one by one to present your final plan, 2 mins with just the map. Deviate from the group plan if you wish, or not, we had both on our Board and all passed. They are looking to see that you can work well under pressure and do not just break down in tears!

Finally the thing you have probably been dreading, the interview, which I felt was actually the most relaxed part of the past few days, well other than the Pub!
It lasts about 30 minutes with each officer of the Board asking you questions on different areas, I was quite lucky in that the Board President knew my uncle who had just left the Navy, so something like that immediately calms you! It is really easy, as after all you are just talking about yourself, and who knows you better than you, as my Board Senior Rate told me just before I went in. In the interview show every bit of leadership and teamwork you can think of, and always mention the ones on the Questionnaire they sent you first then add some more if you can. It really goes very quickly and before you know it you are sitting down for lunch!

After lunch, (nerves will really be building now, but don’t worry they do nice light omelettes!) you will be called in one by one for your results with just your Board President. If you are successful, you will be off for the weird experience of a medical, fun that is, if not homeward bound but you will have learnt something about yourself and had a good fun three days. Your AIB result will be confirmed in the post soon and then begins the wait for a place at BRNC.

Thanks to AE_Officer(Soon_to_be) and Blimy, as well as the RN AIB Webpage: www.royal-navy.mod.uk/...geNav/3533

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

shotty13 said:
Most of the advice already on here is fantastic so i wont repeat it but ill add some interesting and pointless facts. For example

1) You never have to open a door for yourself at AIB as it is SO polite and formal people literally trip over themselves to let you go first

2) Although the staff at AIB all feel they have been there too long and are getting a bit miffed with the routine, they are all fantastic. They will go out of their way to ensure you are as prepared and as calm as possible. They really care about you hate to see anyone fail.

3) The Captain explained on our first day that the success rate for AIB is around 50% which is actually quite reassuring!

4) You will waste your time if you learn about the range of every missile and torpedo with the relevant warheads and detection range ect. Just stick to learning what it is, what it does and where it is, keep it simple.

5) At interview, if (like me) you have no relevant flying experience or sea going ect and you are applying for a branch where it is highly relevant, be prepared to have it ripped out of you at interview.

"I notice you have no relevant experience"
"No unfortunately i don't"
"Then why have you applied for a career in aviation?"

Now although you can read every piece of advice available until you know the entire AIB process hit by hit, nothing will really prepare you for the emotional side of the 3-4 days. There will be boards with you who are 1 or 2 days ahead of you going for their PLT's ect and you will be worried that maybe you don't compare to them and shouldn't be there, or if you see them fail, that you cannot do any better because they were a cut above.

When i was there this happened with a group of Royal Marine officer candidates and a board of aircrew. The marines were all 6ft something AIB passing machines, funny, clever and motivated who were kicking my arse the entire way through the AIB (in terms of performance and preparation!) The aircrew were the same, just shorter!

I feel that there will be a group of people like this at every board, and its such a challenge to keep telling yourself that you deserve to be there and that you are among the best. Or to wake up in the morning and make sure that, like them, you give 110% effort to show the board just who you are and what you are about.

But if you can do this you will be more confident, speak louder and move faster and the board will pick up on this and KNOW YOU WANT TO BE THERE. There there is nothing better you can do for yourself and your marks.

Lastly, whatever happens be a team player, you all take the AIB together.

Whoever you are i wish you all the best, remember that the AIB is the result of all your hard work towards the navy, so go prove yourself!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Ninja_Stoker said:
Anyone applying for Officer RN after 1st July 07 will now sit the Ratings recruiting test, OCLO interview & pre AIB brief before they go on AIB. (Not all at the same time!!). Potential RM Officers will also undergo a medical examination, the POC before AIB.

For AIB itself:

On arrival at HMS Sultan you will be directed to the AIB complex where you will be introduced in the examining room and split into your boards which will probably place teams together in threes or fours. All tests are completed in these groups so get to know your team! The first night is free time- make use of it.

Day ONE:

Up at 6.15 and sat in examining room by 7.30 for psychometric tests, general Naval knowledge tests and an essay.

Examples of RN Knowledge Questions

1. What aircraft do the Royal Navy currently use?
2. What is the name of the aircraft replacing the FA2 Sea Harrier?
3. Which ships carry aircraft & what types do they carry?
4. Which insignia denotes a Lieutenant Commander
5. What does N.A.T.O stand for?
6. How much is the annual Royal Navy Budget?
7. What type of missile is the Sea Dart?
8. What is the range of the Side Winder missile?
9. What is the rank badge of a Chief Petty Officer?
10. What is the beam of a ship?
11. How many countries are in NATO?
12. Name the UK naval bases?
13. What is the name of the military operations in Afghanistan?
14. Which of the following pictures is a survey ship?
15. What is the displacement of an aircraft carrier?
16. How many are typical frigate crew?
17. Which of these are typical weapons of a submarine?
18. Which of these is a famous battle recently been celebrated?
19. Which of these pictures is a type 22 frigate?
20. How many naval personnel are there approximately?
21. Which is a CIWS?
22. What weapons are the new Type 45 destroyer going to carry?
23. How long is the initial commission as an officer?
24. What sized crew will the new destroyers have?
25. What was the name of Nelson’s ship at the battle of Trafalgar?
26. What is the displacement of the New Type 45 Destroyer?
27. What is the main weapon system fitted to the new Astute submarines?
28. What type of engines are fitted to the Type 22 and Type 23 Frigates?
29. HMS Endurance is what kind of Ship?
30. What does SSBN stand for? How any are there?
31. What is the crew complement of a Vanguard class submarine?

Examples of RM Knowledge Questions

This will be mainly RM knowledge with a couple of navy questions such as

1. What is the RN annual budget?
2. Who is the first sea lord?
3. What does NATO stand for?
4. What helicopters do the RM use?
5. Name a Landing platform helicopter and a Landing platform dock?
6. What is the rank slide of a regimental sergeant major?
7. Where are the three commando units based?
8. How many men can be carried in a LCVP?
9. How many men in a commando unit?
10. How many men in the RM?
11. Which ATV do the RM used?
12. What is the name of the new commando structure?
13. At what rank do you enter the RM as an officer?
14. How many men in a platoon?
15. What is the corps motto?
16. What is the highest rank in the RM?
17. In what year was the battle of Trafalgar?
18. What weapon does a RM rifleman carry?
19. Which anti tank weapons do the RM employ?
20. What happens to injured recruits during training?
21. What time is allowed for a RM officer to complete the 30 mile speed march?
22. What is the RM motto?
23. What happened at Walcheren?
24. What is the personal weapon & it’s calibre?
25. List 10 RM specialisations?
26. What are the Commando Tests?
27. Where are 40/42/45 Commando based?
28. How long is Recruit training?
29. What is the Corps birth date?
30. When were the Commandos founded?

Psychometric Tests

You are not expected to finish the tests, they get progressively harder, don’t panic! Just work through the ones you can do.

• Verbal booklet questions first.
Very limited time, synonym, antonym and jumbled sentences
• Non-verbal
Sequences and patterns of shapes etc
• Numerical
Estimation with large numbers, decimal numbers, equations and fractions, statistical interpretation. On the statistical front, there are two tests. One in a tabular form and one in a graph form. It may be wise to try the graph form first then try and then do the tabular form.
• Spatial awareness.
Directions, distances, in relation to each other. Can’t make notes but can use your fingers on the table to make patterns and help to keep track.
• Speed accuracy
Copying exam, labelling and categorising, not hard but mustn’t panic, work methodically and quickly.

Essay.

The emphasis is on structure and an ability to present an argument rather than depth of knowledge. Also only two pages of A4 allowed with big line spacing so don’t over estimate how much you need to write and make sure you plan it.

Typical topics.

1. Global Warming.
2. 24 Hour Licensing
3. Terrorism and ID Cards
4. How can we improve the Navy face in media?
5. How responsible are parents for their kid’s behavior in schools?
6. How serious can we take stories in newspapers?
7. How can we effectively deal with worldwide disasters?
8. Iraq and the coalition’s presence there
9. Gun crime
10. Do tabloid news papers have any credibility?
11. Is spending £xxxx on 2 new Aircraft Carriers justifiable?
12. Solutions to Hooliganism?

Finish tests at 11.30

Practice discussion exercise.
Look at the problem and take note of the model answer. There is often no singular right answer but look at how the problem is approached. A scenario is given. Problem follows. How would you deal with it? Good to put down distances and times relating to speed. Model answer is given.

Leadership practice.
Get involved! Get to know the equipment and your team mates, get used to the gym and its atmosphere. Ask any questions as you will be expected to work alone in the real task.

MSFA.
As a Royal Marine candidate the score does not matter as you have completed the POC however it is a test of motivation, so give your all. Also having been in suits and under pressure indoors for most of the day this is a great chance to let off steam. You will feel great after a shower and some food, much more relaxed. Although the MSFA is not a pass or fail test it is marked and is worth 10 marks (To all non RM candidates) so give it your best shot to gain maximum marks.

The day is finished after this so relax and chat with your team about the next morning; how are you going to approach the planning exercise and the leadership tasks? Make sure you are all of the same attitude as you need to help each other to pass.

It is really useful to be familiar with all the equipment, methods and orders used in the gym. Finally a walk to the pub could give you some fresh air and a chance to relax
DAY 3:

You will either do the gym task or the planning exercise first.

Planning exercise
Read through the situation provided
Try to pick out the key information and take notes
You will enter the room and sit opposite the N1 while the board watches on.
The N1 will introduce a problem to your scenario and ask you to discuss what you are going to do.
Get involved but listen to others too.
Explore all possibilities even far fetched ones then dismiss them if necessary, remember there is not always a right answer they just need to see you discussing and planning.
One of the group will then present the plan and the N1 will question you all in turn.
Don’t switch off during other peoples questions! If they get it wrong the question will come to you.
If you weren’t involved in the discussion then you may not understand the plan and will struggle to answer questions on it.
Simple speed distance time questions will become difficult under pressure, work out other people’s questions as they may get them wrong and they will come to you.
Listen to the N1’s questioning hints as they will often point you towards a solution.
Finally you are asked to leave the room and come in individually to present your final plan.
Here you can offer a completely different plan to the groups (the N1’s questioning may have given you some new ideas)
You will be stressed from the questioning so concentrate on speaking calmly as you present your plan.

Leadership task
You each have a task to lead and there is a leaderless task
Be loud and confident at all times whilst leading, anyone coming into the room should be able to pick out the leader very quickly.
The day before’s brief and any practice the night before should stand you in good stead.

FINAL INTERVIEW.
Split into 3 parts – values, RN/RM knowledge and leadership.
Based on competency and past experience rather than current affairs etc

Have experiences ready to give as well as those you have put on your AIB form!!
The interview is very friendly, the board are simply trying to find out what sort of person you are, relax!

Interview Questions.

N1 Questions (Lieutenant) which focus on Courage and Value

1. What do you do in your spare time?
2. Are you a member of any clubs?
3. If so what is your role?
4. Give an example in your life when something went wrong
5. Ever had a time in your life when you have had to deal with Racism
6. How did you find the ‘Bleep’ test?
7. What was your training for the MSFA?
8. Positions of responsibility?
9. Have you ever been in a dangerous situation?
10. Have you experienced or witnessed racism or bullying?
11. When have you set yourself a challenge?

N2 Questions (Commander / Lt Col) which focus on reasons for joining and RNK

1. Asked what Class of Ships and Submarines are in the pictures on the walls?
2. Name various weapons used by the Ships and Submarines
3. At the map of the world: Show current Operations
What are they there for?
What Ships are there?
(Use the fleet review on the first page of the Navy News for the navy information)

4. Why do you think you would be a good leader?
5. Why join the Royal Navy?
6. Would you be able to shoot someone?
7. Would you be able to drop a bomb on someone if civilians were nearby?
8. What is involved in the first two yrs of training as a young officer etc?
9. How do you feel about making decisions which may cost lives whether it is the enemy, your men, civilians or yourself?

Board President (Captain of Full Col) which focus on Leadership.

1. Why does the Royal Navy need Officers / Leaders?
2. Give an example in your life when you have had to lead a group of people
3. Give an example in your life when you have had to organise an event
4. Given an example in your life when you have been given a budget to stick to.
5. What is your current job?
6. What does that entail and what do you do?
7. When have you worked in a team to achieve a goal?
8. What was your role in the team?
9. Give an example when something went wrong in the team
10. What did you do when something went wrong?
11. How did you fix the problem?
12. What is a good leader?
13. Have you ever led a team?
14. Has leading a team ever gone wrong?
15. Have you ever lead a group who were deliberately difficult?
16. How did you deal with this?
17. Have you ever organised anything?
18. When have you worked as part of a team?
19. When have you experienced a set back and what did you do about it?

After the interview the AIB is over you will go for a nervous lunch while you wait for your results.

Hints and Tips:

There are five main areas of assessment: The Pass Mark is 180 out of a possible maximum 300

Effective intelligence (Worth 90 marks (actually marked out of 45 and then x2))
Leadership (Worth 90 marks (actually marked out of 45 and then x2))
Powers of communication (Worth 60 marks)
Courage and values (Worth 30 marks)
Motivation (Worth 30 marks)
A weighted emphasis goes onto effective intelligence and leadership.
Each part of the AIB tests some of these elements.

EFFECTIVE INTELLIGENCE.

Psychometric test results – good, above average, average, below average or poor.
Leadership Task – plan workable/complicated/incomplete etc; ability to think ahead and adapt as necessary; do they learn from mistakes, mechanical perception.
Planning Ex– aware of resources/events/constraints; provides and analyses solutions, considers alternatives. Qu/STDs – good, above average, average, below average or poor; flexible under Qu, attentive and responsive. Final presentation – clear prioritised aims; sensible plan using Q&A to adapt from group solution if necessary.

LEADERSHIP.

Leadership Task – motivates; has presence and authority; delegates effectively; use of equipment and/or team; positioning; listens to and incorporates others’ ideas as necessary. Support – works hard; offers advice.
Planning Ex– contribution to group solution; level of participation; interaction with other candidates; ability to listen to others’ ideas; chairs; develops group solutions, listening skills, assertiveness.
Interview – amount of evidence/quality of examples. Takes on the lead; mentors and encourages; works as team member; understands concept of leadership; plans and organizes, understanding of leadership.

POWERS OF COMMUNICATION.

Essay – good, above average, average, below average, poor. Comments on structure, sentences, spelling, punctuation, maturity, answers question as necessary.
Leadership Task – volume; confidence; style of directions; clarity of brief, confidence, style of leadership..
Planning Ex– clarity of contribution during discussion phase. Final presentation – structure and confidence.
Interview – articulation; development of answers; non-verbal gestures; diction; power of expression.

COURAGE AND VALUES.

Leadership Task – courage of convictions; enthusiasm; confidence on equipment; attitude; self confidence, ability to help and work under others leadership..
Interview – amount of evidence/quality of examples. Ability to take on challenge; commitment to activities; attitude to setbacks; ability to compromise with cultural/religious differences.

MOTIVATION.

Service Knowledge and Fitness assessment – good, above average, average, below average, poor.
Interview – reasons for joining; knowledge of career path/specialisation; ship recognition and RN knowledge;
Edited to update

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Rule of Sixes.

silverfox said:
what we tend to do in navigation is to operate in 6 or 3 minute time segments. This is because 6 mins is a tenth of an hour and dividing by 10 is the easiest way to do maths.

for example: you are proceeding at 24kts, how far will you travel in 27 minutes?

answer: 24kts = 6 mins for 2.4nm. therefore 27 mins=4.5 x 6 minute chunks = 10.8nm.

Handy when you are trying to work out how long it will take to reach the next exit or service station on the motorway.......or so someone once told me......

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

the_badger said:
Also, just for people's information:

The navy loves DCTs PLTs ABCs or whatever TLA they are called now. In my RNR unit we were taught something about a seven step plan as leader it went something along the lines of this:
1. Briefing
2. Appoint a Timekeeper
3. Come up with a plan
4. Delegate responsibility
5. Check everyone knows the plan
6. Carry it out
7. Debrief

Just remember when actually doing the plan, you leave enough time to improvise, adapt and overcome should the sh!t hit the fan. Can anyone confirm tht the above is correct, or put out the right version?

When doing PLTs, showing good teamwork and leadership is more important than actually completing the task.

Also, WRT briefings this is the format the navy teaches is this:

What has happened
What is going to happen
Hand over any documentation
Chenck understanding by question and answer policy
Confirm handover of responsibility

And another thing, when coming up with a plan, give YOUR IDEAS FIRST then ask for everyone elses. Even if you have no idea, come up with one however gash and allow others to point out it's a load of sh!t.

Lastly, if you are leader this does not mean you have to do everything. DELEGATE! Contribute as a team member but remember that you have a predefined role as leader and others do not.

Please, learn from my mistakes.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
my last minute tips would be as follows:

Look on the peg board (you will be shown it when you book in) and find out who is on your board - remember their names and find out who they are and start talking to them as soon as you can - they will be with you throughout - by all means mix with the others but the most important people to you will be those on your board as they will complete all exercises with you.

Learn some COMPLEX ALGEBRA, work out the speed = distance divided by time and the 6ths and 10ths rules as the planning exercise will involve s=d/t questions being thrown at you thick and fast. WHen you do the test battery in the morning of day 2, at the end you will fee skull fcuked ! Don't worry about it once it's all over - it's all behind you - move on and focus on what is to come.

In the planning exercise, before you start scribbling notes I would strongly advise you read all the information you are given first, then pick out the bits which you think are most important and write them down. Don't necessarily back down when your plan is challenged, unless you realise you have make a complete cock up - be prepared to stand up for yourself and your plan.

In the PLTs, remember to only use the methods you are taught - easier said than done when the pressure is on. If you get wet, suck it up and crack on - your skin is waterproof.

At the end of the shuttle run if you don't feel like throwing up you didn't try hard enough.

As much as you may think you know where places are on a map, make sure you know where places like Afghanistan, Iraq, Caribbean, etc are on a map where the only names shown are the seas and oceans - the one they use in interview has no country names or borders shown. There's one in the rest room so if you dont know where those places are, get someone to show you - and REMEMBER them. There is mention on this thread about the map being USA centred - it shouldn't worry you once you know where the main places are as stated above.

Most of all - ENJOY IT !! It's a fun three days. Food is free (although not great) and there's a pub just down the road - what more could you want?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Re: AIB Advice- The abridged version (Work in progress)

AndyRamage said:
I wouldn't worry about the bleep test or the psychometric tests too much.

The main marks are

60 for the PLTs
45 for the Planning Exercise
60 for the Interview

You also get 15 marks for the service knowledge test.

I got 10.5 on the bleep test on my first AIB and that gave me 8/10 marks and 11.12 on the second AIB which probably got me 9/10 so maybe that can give you a rough idea but as I've said the final day with all three exercises is where the big points are to be had.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

AndyRamage said:
Kelborn said:
I was just wondering something.

Thought this would be the place to ask as it's about officers/AIB

When you join as an officer, do you choose a branch? How exactly does it work?

If there's a thread that covers this, I'd appreciate being pointed in it's direction. Thanks a bunch.
When you go into a careers office and say I'd like to join the Royal Navy as an officer they'll give you all the information regarding the branches you can join the navy.

From the information they give you, you'll go away and think about it and pick out the branch you think is best for you.

You'll then have another interview with an ACLO who will give you an outline of what you need to do to get a place in Dartmouth.

He will give you some forms to fill in and then once you complete them you send them off to the AIB and from that they should give you a date.

Your ACLO will then give you an AIB brief in which he will explain all about the AIB and whats required to pass it.

You will then go to the AIB applying for your choosen branch.

Each branch has a different required pass mark to achieve to get forwarded for selection.

If for example you pass the AIB applying for Warfare and fail the eyesight medical like I did then provided your mark is good enough you can still apply for the other branches such as Logistics and Flight Deck Officer.

You will be put on a list of places in your rank of score for example if you have 200 points and someone has 201 they will be higher on the list and if there is only 14 places available the top 14 get the places.

Should you be in that list then you will be given an entry date.

Hope the above makes sense!

Andy

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

tuesdays said:
I'd like to add to this topic as well. I was an ACLO prior to leaving the RN after a fantastic career and having a baby, so I have some knowledge in this field!!!!!

So, a few more top tips...

Be the grey man. You are watched by the Senior Ratings all the time (not in your sleep unlike the rumours!) and any form of behaviour usually gets informed to the board. Have fun and keep the mood light, just don't start being the class jester.

Don't be too cocky although confidence is a must.

Before you go, think about why you will make a good Officer and explain to the board if asked how you can relate to previous experiences with regards to good leadership. That is, after all, what an Officer is - a leader.

A good ACLO will encourage you to get out in the world and get involved with things such as Sea Cadets, DofE, 10 Tors, charity work, etc etc etc. And they do it for good reason - it's a head start into the training of leadership.

Don't assume that everything is handed to you on a plate by the ACLO. Bug them, ask them questions and search out more reading material that will help you with the AIB. It's what they're paid to do. You need to learn not only ships, subs and aircraft (and this is regardless of spec - potential aircrew be warned!!!) but also the training pipeline for at least 3 years. BRNC is only the first of many steps.

Know where ships, sqns and Cdo units are around the world. The Navy News is great for this. And RN lot - don't skip the Royals either. I can almost guarantee you will be working with them at some stage in your career so you need to know about them.

Practise writing essays. I've seen too many people do so badly at this part which let them down and missed out on a place. There's no excuse for a bad essay. If you've made it this far, you're intelligent enough for perfect spelling, composition, not waffling, grammar and answering the [email protected]#king question!!

If you're not too good at maths, get out some GCSE books. You'll need to brush up to at least this standard.

At the gym, SHOUT!!!!!!! This is a communication exercise amongst other things, and if you can't be heard by the team, then you can bet your overalls and hard hat that you won't be heard by the staff. I can't stress how important this point is!

Look smart. Wearing a suit is one thing, but wearing a black shirt with any colour tie, trendy expensive loafers and novelty socks is quite another. This is a job interview for an Officer in the Royal Navy. You have to dress like one in order to be pictured as one. And I can guarantee that in all my years in the RN (and I'm not old - 27!!) none of my mates ever wore a black shirt with a suit. DON'T DO IT!!!! It's only for 3 days!!!!

Remember that you won't be told your pass mark. It's all done extremely fairly and subjectively, so you don't get extra marks if your Dad went to the same prep school as the board president and played rugby with him. You are in competition with other candidates for each entry date, so only the top marking candidates will get selected for those spots. That means that a pass at the AIB does not automatically qualify for an entry. If they tell you that you passed, but not convincingly, then prepare to grill your ACLO for as much feedback as possible so you can try again in 12mths, after you've gone home and got blindingly drunk in a snotty heap somewhere with your mates first of course. Bounce back and give it another go.

Finally, be yourself. They want to employ you. Only for craps' sake make sure that you show them the absolute best of you and no less.

Hope this all helps some of you!! Good Luck!!!!!!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

HopinMike said:
I just got back from AIB and all the advice I read on this thread prior to going was very, very useful and accurate but I'll try add a few of my personal thoughts tho,

After taking the psycho tests, its quite common to feel disappointed because you end up leaving so many questions unanswered. But this is the way the tests are designed, so do not dwell on it and just start focusing on what is coming next!

Regarding the naval knowledge test, Page 4 of this thread really nails it, just the right depth of knowledge, some people learn every pennant number and name of ships which you do not need, just know the classes of ships / boats. If a question pops up asking 'What type of ship is HMS Cornwall', it is usually the first of the batch and so if you know the classes, you can identify it, so obviously HMS Cornwall is Cornwall Class and is a 22 Frig.

Bleep test is usual stuff, bags of effort, only stop when told to (missing 3 beeps) or when you keel over, then motivate the rest.

as many people have said, get to know your board!!! I was very lucky and had a real good bunch. goto the pub have a drink or two, and try the best you can do discuss things not Navy related!!!

PLT's are Fun, i didnt believe any1 about this until we got cracking. If your board has gone over the techniques the night before, and discussed how best to support each other, then you will work together much better than if each person is trying to outperform the rest.

I think everyone agrees with Planning Task being the hardest part. Remember as much as you can when given the scenario, as when it comes to the quick fire Qs, the Lt will ask your board almost everything, as well as S=d/t questions whilst ripping your plan apart. Don't go into the planning task thinking you have to answer every question correctly and have a water tight plan in order to pass. However, dont guess, say 'i dont know' rather than guessing. Just stay focused, contribute to the Plan with worth while comments, not waffle, keep focused and dont flap. They are trying to see if you can handle the pressure here.

the interview is relaxed, again Page 4 is very useful for what Qs to expect, and make sure you have written down different topics you can talk about so as soon as they ask, you already know what to talk about.

After that its time to naw the ends of your fingers off as you wait for the good news.

If you have any Qs dont hesitate to ask,

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Seaweed said:
Might I add to this thread that in all forms of executive life the ability to communicate is enormously important, whether in making a case to one's superiors, selling an idea to your team, or explaining to one's subordinates what the goal and method for the next activity are. Sloppy writing, including ambiguous grammar, is taken as a sign that the writer hasn't got his thoughts properly in order and so is probably not worth listening to (it used to be said that a ship was known by her correspondence - often all the admiral had to go on when writing up a CO). Similarly sloppy speech, like, innit.

For clear, economical writing try Churchill (History of the English-Speaking Peoples) or FM Montgomery. For bad, muddled signalling with attendant disasters, try Beatty. Yes, it was his Flag Lt, but B should have sacked him and sent him to start again on the Torpoint Ferry.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
who_blue said:
Just a quick one, and hopefully of use...

Unfortunately at AIB we were told to remove all jewellery, including watches, before doing the command tasks. Therefore be prepared, if given the same brief, to be flexible in regards to a timekeeper.

It through me a little bit for a loop as I'd always been taught to assess and monitor your three limitations: - time, resources and space. Still it helps build that sense of urgency that helps people go for a swim!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Asst_Ed said:
Found the article wot I did a couple of years back. My colleague's swanning around in the fjords with Bulwark so I can't post hers till next week...

AFTER an accidental dunking in lukewarm water, a budding officer beams brightly as she struggles out of the pool and gives the thumbs up.
She’s still dripping on the bus back to the office as a seasoned petty officer offers a word of encouragement. “Put that behind you.â€
Then he adds: “Right, you’ve got 15 minutes to get changed, get your suits on and face the next challenge.â€
Ah, the pleasures of the Admiralty Interview Board.
The board – the place where today’s officer corps decides whether young people have the ‘right stuff’, those necessary qualities to become the leaders of the future – has undergone its biggest changes in more than three decades to ensure the current breed of candidates rises to the challenges of the 21st century.
The practical tests are fairer, interviews are better suited to the art of leadership, and a fitness ‘bleep test’ has been introduced as part of the transformation.
But there are many facets of the AIB which today’s officer corps will recognise: the negatives – nervousness, anxiety, pressure – and the positives – self-motivation, determination, personal courage.
Yes, there are still those excruciating physical challenges – move the jerry-cans or oil drum across water using planks, poles and ropes.
Yes, there is a gruelling mental challenge to be solved by a team, a grandiose chicken-fox-grain conundrum, where a previously-placid lieutenant barks rapid-fire questions and the candidates turn to jelly.
Yes, there is still an essay to write. Two pages on a subject, although the board is looking less for a Pulitzer Prize winner, than someone who can spell accurately, write clearly and formulate a cohesive argument.
And yes, there is still a formal interview: upwards of 30 minutes’ questioning by a captain, commander and lieutenant.
The interview is not the crunch part of the process, but it is where a candidate becomes a person.
There is no ‘good cop, bad cop’ redolent of so many interviews in civvy street. The board wants to know about candidates’ drive, motivation, their personal courage, what makes a good leader, their attitudes to different races and religions.
Schooling is most definitely not irrelevant, but school is. The board doesn’t care whether candidates went to Eton or Fenn Street Comp. In fact, it isn’t told.
Also irrelevant – and hence not made known to the board – is the occupation and background of a budding officer’s family; there can be no accusations of favouritism to the sons or daughters of Admiral So-and-So.
Applicants still “cram†on the Navy; they know the ship and submarine types, the weapons systems, even the dimensions and top speeds.
Of course, it shows motivation and desire, but it’s not exactly what the AIB board wants; as one commander puts it: “We’re not especially interested in what ship can do what speed – the anoraky stuff.†Of much greater importance is what the RN does with these assets, where in the world they patrol.
And naturally, there’s the $64,000 question. Are you prepared to put your life – and the lives of those under your command – on the line? “Well I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t…†one candidate rather coolly responded.
Despite the revamped AIB, it remains a huge challenge to score the requisite 180 out of 300 points needed to pass the AIB. Any score over 200 is regarded as particularly promising; such scores are not commonplace.
Marks out of five for most categories are given. But a ‘five’ is rare. Criticism (in discussions where the candidates are not present) is at times harsh – “This essay is a waste of paper,†was one especially scathing remark – but then you’re not picking people to stack shelves in a supermarket; in extremis, the RN is a matter of life and death.
And praise can be fulsome. “That’s exactly the sort of person we should be looking for.â€
What is encouraging is that in this PlayStation-MTV generation of today, where youngsters have no respect for their elders and munch fast food all day (so the media constantly bleats), candidates are fit – rowers, dancers, divers, rugby players; they are community-spirited – most are former Scouts, Girl Guides, members of the Boys or Girls Brigades; and they’re keen to get on.
They don’t want to sit behind a desk all day, or on a production line.
“I’ve always wanted to be part of a team where what you do matters, where it makes a difference,†one interviewee stressed.
Is there a danger that seeing 1,500 candidates a year you lose the ‘personal touch’, that the AIB becomes a production line for officers?
Not so says a veteran submariner and board member. “You get a big kick when you get a good candidate. People ask: ‘Is the AIB like a sausage machine?’ It’s not – there’s tremendous variety; one day you get a group of youngsters, the next senior upper yardmen.â€
It is a rare privilege to observe a process which is picking the next generation of Naval leaders; there can be few careers where a silent witness, a benign shadow, watches as a person is grilled and his or her career, ultimately their fate, is decided.
On today’s evidence the board got it right. One candidate passed, one near-miss, and two a good way off officer material.
Even passing does not guarantee a place at Dartmouth; there must be vacancies in their chosen branches – and if a candidate tomorrow scores substantially higher, today’s passerwill be bumped down the list.
Which would be a shame, for his desire was obvious. “I cannot think of anything better than being a member of the Royal Navy,†he told the board.
If every successful candidate feels like that, the officer corps should be in safe hands.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Change in Officer UCAS Requirement.

As well as 5 GCSE's A*-C (including Maths & English) the minimum standard for UCAS points is to be increased from the minimum level of 140 UCAS points to eliminate candidates who clearly struggle at AIB, and to better align RN recruiting standards with the other services. The minimum requirement for educational qualifications is to be raised to 180 UCAS points, subject to certain constraints.

The revised minimum standard for non-graduate Officer entry to the Royal Marines will be 180 UCAS points for all candidates from Fri 29 February 2008, subject to the constraints that:

a. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
b. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
c. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

4. The minimum for each subject will be increased from 40 to 45 UCAS points so the following will no longer acceptable:

a. A-Level Grade E;
b. AS-level Grade C;
c. Scottish Higher Grade D;
d. Scottish Intermediate – any grade.

5. The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at UCAS.com

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Bender said:
Passed my AIB last week. 3 out of the 4 Aircrew on my board passed. My Board President said due to me only being 18, and a few other things, my chances of selection are quite high. Didn't realise that being young was an advantage?

Was an awesome experience. Will give a few thoughts that may help future attendees (hopefully try not to overlap information already mentioned).

Don't be late for anything - we had one guy who turned up late on the first night, then turned up late for the psychometric tests after lunch.

In the Planning Ex don't get wound up - I found it amazing how the N2 (Lt.) can destroy your plan no matter how solid you may think it is. When you get asked the individual questions, you are bound to get a few wrong. Also, when presenting your individual plan, you will probably leave the room thinking "That was a stupid idea" (I made my team walk 19 miles at 1mph overnight through the jungle because I was running out of time to present my plan). Walk away from the PlanEx taking all the positives.

PLTs - Has been said many times before but it really DOES NOT matter if you complete the task or not. Remember what the brief the day before tells you because incorrect technique can waste away precious time. When leading the task, always try and re-use members instead of including yourself. A main quality as a leader is to be able to stand back and watch what's going on. Another thing; jog everywhere in the gym, when you get sent to the other end of the chasm to present your plan, jog over there - Shows your motivated and enjoying it.

Interview - Like everyone says, the most relaxed part, but don't relax too much. Preparation is the key for this. Know how to distinguish between a Type 23 & 22, a Mk 3/7/8 Lynx, Mk 4/5/7 Seaking. Also, the are quite keen on your knowledge of the new Type 45, New Carrier's and the Astute class Subs. Use the AIB post here to get the example interview questions. Type out answers to them and read them through thoroughly. Then you won't be surprised (much) at the interview.

Throughout the whole 2 days, try and keep a big smile and enjoy it, it is intense, and extremely demanding, but good fun when you look back on it. Whenever you see the Board, whether it be at the interview, the PLTs or planning ex, always have a smile on your face. The main moto you get to stick by is the famous: CHEERFULNESS IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY - and it does work!!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Lynx101 said:
I recently did my SIFT interview for officers. I have some advice for others who are getting a bit worried, or just need some advice.
1. RELAX, don't fidget at all. Sit perfectly still with your hands on the arms of the chair on on your lap. Don't ring your hands or fiddle with anything. Just keep still.
2. EYE CONTACT!!! Try to give eye contact the whole way through, my interviewer actually complimented me on this, so it shows that its very important.
3. Dress very smartly. I was wearing a suit with a tie, and I was complimented on that as well, that it all shows your attitude to the recruitment process and how seriously you are taking it.
4. Try to alter the pitch of your voice, if you are like me, when you are talking to a group or at something similiar, your voice tends to go a bit monotone, try to vary it if you can. Might not happen to all.
5. Depending on the interviewer, try and slip a light hearted joke in, but make sure you do it subtly.
Thats about it really, above all enjoy yourself, I really enjoyed mine, I got to talk to someone who actually cared about why I want to join etc, unlike my friends who are sick and tired of me going on and on about the navy every 5 seconds!
Good Luck,
Quote said:
The Sift interview covers 3 main areas, Communications, Leadership & Motivation. They are not expecting the "finished article" but the more preparation you do, the sooner you will attend AIB because you are a stunningly well versed individual, smartly dressed (jacket & tie or equivalent), shiny shoes, prompt, attentive, etc.

The areas covered break down as follows and the 100% "Ideal candidate" will posses all of the following qualities (very few tick all the boxes, rest assured):

COMMUNICATION
Positive body language
Good Power of expression
Appropriate language
Enthusiastic
Confident
Good eye contact
Able to articulate sentences clearly

LEADERSHIP
Demonstrates can lead team to success/achieve positive results
Capable of Planning ahead
Motivates team
Learnt from mistakes/experience
Good level of commitment to team
Good examples of leadership/taking charge/organisation skills and
likewise from school, university, part-time work, clubs, societies etc.
Teamplayer and team leader.
Trusted & responsible

MOTIVATION
Good level of Fitness.
Family/partner support.
Sound, logical reasons for joining RN/RM
Well thought out career choices
Good awareness of RN/RM; branch; terms and conditions; training pipeline
Realistic expectations
Reasons for joining RN/RM.
Length of interest.
Knowledge/Preparation for RN/RM.