Age Waiver - how to get one

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by HonkeyLips, Nov 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I, at 3*, am a stupid b-star-d who is now too old by the published entry requirements for the RN.

Age waivers exist - how do I go about getting one?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

No they don't unfortunately, not since the entry age was raised from 32 to 37.

3. now that's really depressing news...
    no such thing huh? Nothing like a letter from a CO or anything?
    What about if people are needed to fill gaps in recruiting because of others dropping out or not taking places etc...? High demand quotas not being filled...? anything? a glimmer of hope?
    I just need to be 100% sure that the ship has sailed (excuse the pun)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

5. thank you for your replies - it seems pretty definitive.

It is a shame that there is no reference on exceptions to the reference.

'Tis such a shame to to be able bodied, super fit, keen and reasonably intelligent but have your age stand in the way of even a chance of becoming an Able Bodied (again excuse the pun). So it must be...

6. On the upside. I like your username.

• Like Like x 1
  7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Are you trying to rejoin having served a number of years before?

8. Age Waiver - how to get one?

Lie about it. That angle worked in both WW1 & WW2.

9. no - never served before. looks probably like never will...

does anyone think there is any chance apart from lying? I am pretty sure the first thing they would do is look at my birth certificate or passport and notice the discrepancy (a typo that I happened to perpetuate numerous times...?)

I mean the last thing I want to be is a fantasist. but I also don't want to just say, oh well, so much for that...

aren't there branches that need more recruits of the right caliber and a little over age is not an issue? difficult stuff that no-one else wants to do? dunno...

I am assuming that there are always exceptions to rules, and age limits are not legislative they are simply policy issued from within the RN itself which means that appropriate signatures must work? I realise that saying yes to this on a public forum would be perhaps less than appropriate... but I myself don't have anywhere else to start.

PM me if you think you can help me get a shot... enjoy my lament if not.

10. What about Ninja's suggestions of the RFA or the RNR?

11. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I have to say they are your only options.

12. yes, thanks - I will have to give that some serious consideration. My hope is (was?) for a full time career...

13. Edit to add that (whilst preparing the above ) the last few replies, echo the earlier replies.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  14. "harping on"... that's a bit harsh and exaggerated.

that could be the very right course of action if the outcome weren't already known in advance.

More generally:

The RFA appears as though it may well be the last chance I was looking for.

Royal Fleet Auxiliary Seaman Grade Two|Royal Navy

This does indeed look good. Thanks to those with the patience and help.

15. --------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

Go for it & the best of luck with the RFA. Try this for more Links: Related Sites

Oh, and don't forget to return and let us know what transpires.

16. thanks - I will be sure to -
    thanks again everyone for the help

17. The RFA is currently only recruiting for Deck Officer Cadets and Engineering Officer Cadets. It looks like they won't need any deck ratings for at least another 18 months or so.