Age Waiver - how to get one

I, at 3*, am a stupid b-star-d who is now too old by the published entry requirements for the RN.

Age waivers exist - how do I go about getting one?

now that's really depressing news...
no such thing huh? Nothing like a letter from a CO or anything?
What about if people are needed to fill gaps in recruiting because of others dropping out or not taking places etc...? High demand quotas not being filled...? anything? a glimmer of hope?
I just need to be 100% sure that the ship has sailed (excuse the pun)

thank you for your replies - it seems pretty definitive.

It is a shame that there is no reference on exceptions to the reference.

'Tis such a shame to to be able bodied, super fit, keen and reasonably intelligent but have your age stand in the way of even a chance of becoming an Able Bodied (again excuse the pun). So it must be...

no - never served before. looks probably like never will...

does anyone think there is any chance apart from lying? I am pretty sure the first thing they would do is look at my birth certificate or passport and notice the discrepancy (a typo that I happened to perpetuate numerous times...?)

I mean the last thing I want to be is a fantasist. but I also don't want to just say, oh well, so much for that...

aren't there branches that need more recruits of the right caliber and a little over age is not an issue? difficult stuff that no-one else wants to do? dunno...

I am assuming that there are always exceptions to rules, and age limits are not legislative they are simply policy issued from within the RN itself which means that appropriate signatures must work? I realise that saying yes to this on a public forum would be perhaps less than appropriate... but I myself don't have anywhere else to start.

PM me if you think you can help me get a shot... enjoy my lament if not.

no - never served before. looks probably like never will...

does anyone think there is any chance apart from lying? I am pretty sure the first thing they would do is look at my birth certificate or passport and notice the discrepancy (a typo that I happened to perpetuate numerous times...?)

I mean the last thing I want to be is a fantasist. but I also don't want to just say, oh well, so much for that...

aren't there branches that need more recruits of the right caliber and a little over age is not an issue? difficult stuff that no-one else wants to do? dunno...

The waiting lists for most branches are chock-full of fully qualified applicants, up to 3 years wait for some branches.

I am assuming that there are always exceptions to rules, and age limits are not legislative they are simply policy issued from within the RN itself which means that appropriate signatures must work? I realise that saying yes to this on a public forum would be perhaps less than appropriate... but I myself don't have anywhere else to start.

Yes you do:

1. Re-read Post #4, above from our tame recruiting guru, Ninja_Stoker, and be absolutely clear on the age limits published at his Reference, BR3.

2. Visit your local AFCO and explain your compelling reasons to request an age waiver.

3. Inquire of him the likelihood of your waiver request being accepted.

4. Be prepared to accept that you have missed the boat for the RN.

5. To repeat Ninja at #4 - Re-direct your zealous inquiries towards the RFA or RNR.

PM me if you think you can help me get a shot... enjoy my lament if not.

Don't raise your hopes by expecting any PM's, it's very, very unlikely anyone here can or will help you, RR being an unofficial site.

I don't think its a case of 'enjoying your lament' but some banter/ridicule will undoubtedly result if you keep harping on about it here instead of returning after your AFCO interview and posting the Official response you received to your age waiver and whether the RFA would consider your application instead.
Edit to add that (whilst preparing the above ) the last few replies, echo the earlier replies.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Last edited:
... some banter/ridicule will undoubtedly result if you keep harping on about it here...
"harping on"... that's a bit harsh and exaggerated.

... returning after your AFCO interview and posting the Official response you received to your age waiver and whether the RFA would consider your application instead....
that could be the very right course of action if the outcome weren't already known in advance.

More generally:

The RFA appears as though it may well be the last chance I was looking for.

Royal Fleet Auxiliary Seaman Grade Two|Royal Navy

This does indeed look good. Thanks to those with the patience and help.

--------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

Go for it & the best of luck with the RFA. Try this for more Links: Related Sites

Oh, and don't forget to return and let us know what transpires.

The RFA is currently only recruiting for Deck Officer Cadets and Engineering Officer Cadets. It looks like they won't need any deck ratings for at least another 18 months or so.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A Miscellaneous 0
A Nautical Jokes 2