Age limit for engineering trades

howfen_lad

War Hero
Weyhey!! excallant news mate, Bet your flying high as a kite...All the best for phase 1, 'Age is nothing but a number', you got that right.

Sicknote

With the age cut off being 29 does this mean upto your 30th birthday or the day you hit 29? The AFCO's I've spoke to since passing my RT cant seem to make their minds up. Im going in on Monday to have a word.

In the same boat myself. The afco called the other day to tell me they had lowered the age limit for Aircraft Controller to 26 when i asked about other branches he said the engineering branches had also been lowered. Now thinking of Medical assistant have a re-interview on monday.

EarlyChop

War Hero
Its funny that even though many people are now unsuitable for the engineering trades because of their age, there has been no revised waiting times?

I smell bullshit. Though, that might be me...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
With the age cut off being 29 does this mean upto your 30th birthday or the day you hit 29? The AFCO's I've spoke to since passing my RT cant seem to make their minds up. Im going in on Monday to have a word.

For all Engineering branches: Applicants must commence Initial Naval Training before their 30th birthday, regardless of when you apply.

There is no ambiguity regarding the new parameters. however there is no official statement explaining why. For want of an official reason, the best guess is that the newer 18 year contract for those aged over 21 could create a shortage of experienced seagoing SNCOs/WO's in future due to "pull through"/promotion timescales. Then again, it's pure speculation.

Sicknote

Thanks for the clarification Ninja. Im going down later today to pick up my medical paperwork but will sit down and confirm all the details with the AFCO. The wait time for my chosen branch is 14 months and it's 23 months until my 30th so hopefully im still good to go.