Age limit for engineering trades

McSkimp

Badgeman
I was in the same boat after my RT as I did better than I expected. This led to the CA pushing me to be a ME as he hadn't realised I am 29 in April. Luckily he realised his mistake pretty quick and I was able to revert back to my original plan of going in as a CT.

It does seem a bit stupid that the folk that are applying with more experience are getting denied a place because of their age but not much we can do about it

soleil

War Hero
These posts are well over a month old now, can somebody please clarify if this stuff is up to date? I'm 31 and thought i was joining as a ETME(SM). My provisional joining date is the 22nd May and i haven't heard any different from my AFCO. My pre joining brief is tommorrow so i need to know if i should be reading up on the other jobs on Subs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ryan79

Ryan

I am assuming that your Pre-Joining Brief is not first thing in the morning and is actually later in the day.

On this assumption, I would suggest ringing the AFCO as soon as it opens tomorrow morning and just running this past your CA. CAs are generally available from 0830 onwards. If, for some reason, your position needs to be reviewed, speaking to them first thing allows them to verify the situation and, if necessary, book you in for a discussion as to how to proceed. I wouldn't want you to travel in to the AFCO, only to be disappointed and feel that your time going in had been wasted.

Ryan79

Midshipman
Thanks for the advice Soleil,

I have my final interview at 09:30 and pre-entry briefing at 10:30. I'm planning on leaving at 08:00 to allow for rush hour traffic. Bugger!
I've got the day off work so i think i'll just go down Redruth and if it is bad news then at least i'm in the right place to discuss what to do next.

I think most of the information leaflets i have are out of date now anyway so i'll get some new reading material!

soleil

War Hero
Ryan

If your CA has given you a card with his/her e-mail address on it, it might be worth e-mailing him/her this evening, just in case he/she comes in early, reads the message and wants to call you on your mobile about your going in.

If that isn't possible, I would suggest phoning the office when you get up in the morning and leaving them a message. I am only suggesting this as an idea, as, if they rebook you, it still gives you time to go to work and save your day off for another day.

By the way, I believe that these are the latest Info sheets (although the ages haven't been altered):

download-an-information-pack

Ryan79

Midshipman
Just got back from my pre-entry briefing. Good news. Because i had already been allocated a joining date at the time of the upper age limit changes, i am still going in as an ETME(SM), even though i am technically too old (31). Got my paperwork and train tickets and am like a kid waiting for christmas.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question yesterday.

Ryan79

Passed RT in July 09
Passed 2 medicals
Passed 2 PJFT's (most recent 10.32)
Had final interview/pre entry brief 28/03/11
Joining date: 22/05/11

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The reason for the introduction of a reduced upper age limit and higher recruiting test scores, applied to all engineering technician trades for those not yet allocated an entry date, is not explained in the instruction implementing the change unfortunately.

I'd guess the increase score and lowered age parameters were introduced to ensure sufficient numbers with high enough academic potential achieve promotion up to and beyond gaining a foundation degree at Petty Officer level. Since the demise of the Artificer, the academic prerequisite for technicians was removed and too few advance beyond Leading Rate, unlike Artificers, who are promoted upon academic attainment.

Similarly, with an 18 year contract replacing the 22 year contract, it's possible we could end-up with too few PO/CPO/WO filling a couple of sea-going billets at each rate prior to leaving the service.

At AFCO level it's not uncommon to witness an Engineering graduate, with many years engineering experience, not only fail to meet the score required for Officer, but also fail to meet the minimum mechanical comprehension score for ratings technician.

Until the Armed Forces are told otherwise they are currently exempt age discrimination legislation apparently. So rightly or wrongly, they can afford to call the shots when there is a surplus of applicants. Needless to say the entry criteria is governed by the branch requirements managers and market forces - it is equally likely it could change again in future.

silverfox64

Midshipman
Very well done in what must have been the weekend from hell! Get that Zimmer frame polished ready for Raleigh and make sure the stairlift is working!!! All the best

Ryan79

Midshipman
Very well done in what must have been the weekend from hell! Get that Zimmer frame polished ready for Raleigh and make sure the stairlift is working!!! All the best

I guess i will have to get used to comments like that! Oh well, it won't bother me. I haven't gone grey yet and my 2.4km time averages 10 minutes.

Age is just a number

adrift

Badgeman
Brill news. I've been popping back to keep an eye on this thread, hoping all would be well for you. Excellent. Good luck in basic. Don't go cutting up the fish fingers for the other recruits, and tucking in them in at night mind. xx