Age limit for engineering trades in the navy?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by matt443, Apr 16, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi what is the age limit for engineering trades in the navy? Have heard it has gone up?
  2. It's very recently been increased to 34
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Can any CA confirm or deny this 34 upper age limit? (sorry if TheCommunicator is one). Royal Navy website still showing age limit as 29.
    I originally applied for AET then was told that I was too old as they had just lowered the age limit to 29, so if it is 34 it would means I could just get in although I guess waiting times might stop me in my tracks!
    So, is 34 definitely the upper age limit for all engineering trades, and what are the waiting times for Marine Engineers and Air Engineering Technicians?
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm a careers adviser.

You must join the service & commence initial Naval training before age 35.

From test to entry, the current average wait is around 12 months assuming there are no delays.
  5. I'm not a careers adviser.

I read it in a RNTM recently. Must admit I can't remember if it was applicable to all ME, WE and AE but pretty sure ME and WE will be included, most definitely submariners. I don't expect we're short of AE candidates!

As I've said on here previously, I can't understand why, in a Service which struggles to recruit and retain engineers, we had a maximum entry age for engineers which was significantly lower than the vast majority of other branches.

Glad it's been amended!
  6. Thanks for the info NJ and TC.
    Based on the 12 month start-to-start it looks like it's not meant to be for me then!
  7. Ninja_Stoker

WE & ME branches are between 3-6 month waits. Ish.
  8. Why is there retention issues for engineering?
  9. Possibility of more money on offer outside of the RN in engineering and the RN gives you the training to land you a job in civvy street - plenty of employers will take ex military due to their standards and discipline.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ninja_Stoker

The other issue within the service is that there was a very poor management issue over 14 years back whereby technicians are still paid on a lower payscale at various ranks/rates than clerks, storemen and a variety of other unskilled branches. Furthermore pay was capped for technicians due to the fact an additional, unnecessary rank was introduced.

Prior to that everyone was paid the same money at the same rate/rank.

It's taken senior management a very long time to realise or even begin to accept the errors of their predecessors.

Bizarrely, technicians are still age-capped two years below their unskilled service counterparts despite the fact the manning shortfall has required recruitment from Nationalities ineligible to join the Royal Navy (France & USA).

In short, it's a complete cluster and it remains so, but things are supposedly improving. The advantage for those joining is you'll receive superb training & then be able to leave after about five years & substatially increase (double or treble) your earnings potential in the private sector.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. So I guess avoid engineers what would you say is the best 3 ratings jobs in the navy? And why?
  12. Ninja_Stoker

I wouldn't advise you avoid engineering, quite the reverse - it offers more transferable skills than any other branches.

Most popular ratings branches after engineering (and least achieved) are Aircrewman & Diver (Age restricted to 26 & 32 respectively).

The reasons? Aircrewman involves flying day to day, Diver involves diving from time to time but includes EOD - earnings potential for commercial diving is good.

Comms Tech is popular, but few score high enough in the recruit test.
    • Like Like x 1