After training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mushroom, Sep 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi we are new to this site but it seems to be a good place to ask the following question.
    My son is currently at HMS Drake he has passed all his initial and technical training after a period of leave he has gone to Drake to be allocated a ship. Out of all his group he is the only one not allocated so far so is a bit down about it and seems to be left to do his own thing. He has been shadowing an engineer and doing some odd jobs but could anybody explain the process to me on how allocations are made and how long he can expect to wait for a ship?
  2. Sounds like he's on a dream draft at the moment, I'd keep my head down if I was him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Is he under 17?

Same shit happened to me. My whole class got their sea drafts except me.

"Er er didn't call my name out."

"Ummmm let me see. Oh yes, AB 2 Deck, you're too young to go on a ship, you'll be spending the next 3 months at Collingwood until your 17th birthday."

At the time I was gutted but it worked out really well for me in the end.

I spent 12 weeks chilling out, doing loads of AT (Adventurous Training) and sport, getting some of the technical aspects of my task book weighed off on the training sections at Collingwood and I was allowed to choose my ship at the end of it all.

If your lad isn't 17 yet that's why he's not got a ship. If he is 17 it's possible he's failed an exam and been back classed but not told you, or it could be something as simple as the fact that there aren't enough ships.
  4. As a DO, make sure he gets an employment plan from Waterfront manning. Just being told to "shadow" or whatever isn't good enough. I've lost count of the number of times we've had demoralised and threaders JRs turn up from the waterfront who've had their lives wasted for 3 or 4 months.
  5. Your concern for your son's career is understandable. However, has he asked why he has not been assigned to a ship. There may be something that he is not telling you and it may not be as clear cut as it seems.
  6. I'll be honest, it's not uncommon. Nothing nefarious unless told otherwise.
  7. Thanks for all the replies. My son is 19 so shouldn't be an age thing, and he wasn't back classed at any point in his training. His trade is ETME and he finished his training back in May but they held them back to take part in the ww1 ceremonies in Glasgow and Edinburgh. After a period of leave he reported back last Monday expecting to be assigned to a ship, all of his group apart from him and another lad had assignments waiting for them, the other lad received his later in the week just leaving my son. I suppose it is one of those things so I will pass on the advice about reporting to Waterfront manning.

Thanks once again for the advice.
  8. Alternatively he could just go home for 7 months and wait until someone notices he's missing, claiming ignorance when he gets caught.

I actually knew a lad who did just that. He left one ship (Manchester) with vague orders that his next ship (Newcastle) would contact him with joining instructions.

The message must've got lost in the post and he never got the joining instructions. Newcastle assumed he was still onboard Manchester and Manchester assumed he'd joined Newcastle with no snags.

It was only because his Mum eventually phoned up to see what was going on that he got caught.

Potentially he could've blagged 22 years of chilling out at his mum's playing Xbox and getting paid.
  9. We had a TOPMAST situation like that as well.
  10. Was that the 90 day one? Or event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. I best not pass that tip on or he will be turning up on my doorstep at the weekend :)
  13. I take it they are allocated onto ships if they pass out of their training when they are 17? Curious!