After shore training...

Something that passed through my mind this morning, when joining a ship is it a case of you go to where your told? Or is there a degree of choice as in rather be on a type 45 than a mine sweeper.

Not that it matters either way and I'm currently waiting on a lantern test to decider wether I can see enough colours to even start, but I was a little bit curious.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You can express a preference and in the majority of cases, those preferences are met, but.... The needs of the service may override the preference of the individual.

Minehunters were traditionally only available as a second draft and only for those expressly recommended (except WS(MW) and Diver, who are pretty much exclusively drafted to these vessels).

Thanks. The type 45 vs mine hunter thing was more for example purposes more than anything else.

As long as I can get a lantern test soon my CA is hoping I'll be starting in may but we'll have to wait and see. Still a long way to go yet.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The lantern test is only required for CP1 or CP3. CP4 can be determined by the Ishihara Test, Colour Expanse Test or Wire Trade Test.

The lantern test is only required for CP1 or CP3. CP4 can be determined by the Ishihara Test, Colour Expanse Test or Wire Trade Test.
Iirc I need cp4 (et me) but what I've been told is I need to do the lantern test next and if I can't pass that it'll go from there. Fingers crossed I'll get a date sometime over the next few weeks.