Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After(Or Before)They Were Famous!!!

Saw BAD MANNERS at Culdrose and RAF Wyton. Buster looked a bit slimmer at Wyton (Must be the introduction of the RNFT).

Do Mechanical Horse-trough Count?

Saw Steve Wright and Gary Davies at Culdrose (Radio 1), Gary Davies got a glass thrown at him on stage. Thanked everyone at RAF Culdrose on the radio next day. "C*ck Knocker".

josiecats

War Hero
Scran_Bag said:
I saw the Bay City Rollers ( with a very different line-up to the band that made it big ) up at HMS Fulmar in early 1971. This line-up could even play their instruments a bit.
OI dont dis the Bay City Rollers .... they were my fave group when i was young..........had all the stuff................. I LOVED THEM GUYS

noemis

Lantern Swinger
Frank Ifield(?) and the Ronnettes(?) at HMS Raleigh as part of the Royal wedding celerbrations in 1981ish! Interesting choice for a bunch of baby Matelots in the early eighties!!

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
dixie_gooner said:
chockhead819 said:
. Some bloke called Shep Wooley does he count?

Does he count????? :???: :???:

Yes he bloody does, ex-matelot with awesome dits and anecdotes. :wink:

Saw The Stranglers in the Falklands in 1997,although they were part of a CSE show, so probably doesn't count :sad: :sad:

Same here, although was about '99, was on the DC at the time.

Also saw Shep a couple of times, once in Drake and again in Collingrad.

Is Jumping Jimmy still doing the rounds? Saw him in Sherborne in '99 but it was a shadow of his former act in Weymouth.

Saw Pan's People (I think) on the track at Daedalus in '76, bizarre to say the least.

Lister

Lantern Swinger
Saw Katrina and the Waves at the 'Flying Fish Club' at Portland.
The only record anyone recognised was walking on sunshine.

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
G'day all.
This is a wee bit of the thread but I thought it worth mentioning.

One of the times I was in Vernon, two of the A/B's there at the same time, were the doubles of a couple of famous guys back in the dark days.

One guy was the double of "Dirk Bogart" an old film star.

The other was the double of "Tommy Sands",[not sure of the second name now] that was "Tommy Steel's" brother who acted and sang at this time as well. (See I said way back in the old days, most probably no-one will know them). lol.

These two guy though, they really acted the parts, dressed like "them , spoke like them, even to the regional accent for Tommy Sands, every where they went, the sheilas all thought that these were the real guys, of course they never went ashore with any matelots, otherwise it may have given the game away.

I think that they got everybody else's share as well :roll: :roll:

I was also in Guz Barrack Guard, with a guy who was a Hypnotist", "The great Barring-ton" [a famous Tele entertainer at this time] actually bought him out of the Andrew, to go on tour with him.He made a bomb doing this as he was so good.

Going on watch with him was a terrific time, as there were some of the guys that he only needed to snap his fingers, and they were under without him saying anything, one poor stoker [I've nothing against stokers OK] used to be sent round barracks riding an invisible postman's bike, at every road crossing he used to stop and ring his bell, during the middle watch they would have him thinking that Marylin Monroe was sitting next to him in the watch keepers beds, Well he started sitting :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll post some of the stories about him some time.

regards pingbosun :lol: :lol: :lol:

pingbosun said:
G'day all..................The other was the double of "Tommy Sands",[not sure of the second name now] that was "Tommy Steel's" brother who acted and sang at this time as well.............................

Colin Sands possibly ?

:)

I saw George McCrae at the Nelson bop once, singing that old
favourite "Rock me baby", well past his sell by date when I saw him.

pingbosun

Lantern Swinger
whitemouse said:
pingbosun said:
G'day all..................The other was the double of "Tommy Sands",[not sure of the second name now] that was "Tommy Steel's" brother who acted and sang at this time as well.............................

Colin Sands possibly ?

:)

Yes probably mate, I thought that the name sounded wrong, with two Tommy's in the family, I thought that it was only in the Beverly Hillbillies where the sons all had the same name :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:pingbosun

Hot Chocolate and Showaddywaddy (they were crap) at Collinwood in 73/74.Mud as well I think.Thursday night hop when all the local ladies would attend.Apparently they caught someone pogging them from the ceiling in the ladies loo,very naughtly!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Govt writes to Brits in Europe before transition period ends MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “Our fresh start means we can make all four corners of the United Kingdom stronger and more prosperous than ever before” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chilean Chevening scholars meet Ambassador before travelling to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS All possible measures to be taken before schools and colleges close MoD News 0
J Before I join Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
K PJFT I did mine before my interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS From the South West to Scotland - check before you travel this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “Events, Dear Boy”: managing incidents before they become crises MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The danger of unsecured loads – Highways England reminds drivers to check before setting off this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More Kuwaitis studying in the UK than ever before: op-ed by Michael Davenport MoD News 0
OC Stupid Material to read before entering Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS Homeowners need to check before starting work near flood defences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Check your vehicle for these five things before driving MoD News 0
O Buying Life Insurance before joining... Finance & Pensions 17
P Getting in after messing up before? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Regulator highlights areas increasing the risk of non-compliance before new Rent Standard is in force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Do your tax return before it drives you quackers, you’ve got one week to go! MoD News 0
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
Spiced Buoy Leadership oppertunities before joining as officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Student drivers urged to lighten up before taking to the road as Freshers’ season starts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If your charity last did an annual return before 12 November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Abstracting water? Think before you drill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tackling terrorism and extremism before it starts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England urging motorists to ‘check it before towing it’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Motorists urged to check rules on towing before summer holidays MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Motorists urged to check vehicles before heading off on holiday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Businesses are being urged to register for Making Tax Digital before August MoD News 0
A Can I apply before I'm 18 if from the Commonwealth? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Call for caravanners to "check it before towing it" this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: One month to go before introduction of Making Tax Digital for VAT MoD News 0
Ghost29 How long is wait after security clearance granted before i get a entry date Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Help please. Changing role before interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS Press release: Injury claims boss jailed after removing company funds before closure MoD News 0
M changing roles before recruitment test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
P feel ill just before joining! Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS Speech: Foreign Secretary's comments to media in Brussels before the May 2018 E3 meeting on Iran MoD News 0
N Joining RNR reserves before Navy-regular? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F Medical before interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Food and accommodation charges before or after tax? Joining the Royal Navy 11
E Starting a new relationship months before starting training. Joining the Royal Navy 17
K Eyesight Test before Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
G Have you ever passed Medical underweight? Gaining Weight before Recruiting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Ten years before the mast The Gash Barge 7
T Marine Engineer Officer - Questions before I fully commit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
AETButler Injured before Raleigh Health & Fitness 1
MoD_RSS News story: Rededication service held for serviceman who died 6 weeks before the end of... MoD News 0
3 Misplaced GCSE certificates before Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T5igger Involved in a motorcycle accident days before medical... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
S Injury before Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2