after deployment...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by marmalizer, Sep 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I'm waiting to start at Raleigh... post May 2011...

I'm just wondering what sort of leave time (if any) you get after returning from a deployment; & also, how long are deployments in general?

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

How long is a piece of string? How deep is a hole? :roll:

Too factors to consider (i.e. the unit/ship you are embarked on, where you deploy and the nature of that particular deployment).

But generally if you are alongside/not deployed, you will work Mon-Fri with weekends off (unless you are required for duty). Main Leave Periods normally fall around April (Easter), mid- to late-August (Summer) and late December to early Jan (Christmas). However if you are overseas, your leave will be postponed until you return to Base Port, when you will have the opportunity to take it then (duty requirements notwithstanding).

But perhaps you should concentrate on joining up and Passing Out from basic training first, before you worry your little head with things like leave..?
  3. Deployments are the reason you join up aint they ?
  4. Ball-park figure is six to nine months for a deployment. If you are lucky, you might get a bit of time off in the middle. When you get back, not everyone will be able to go on leave immediately, for what I think are obvious reasons (i.e. we don't just park, take the keys out of the ignition, lock the doors and sod off). Whilst in a seagoing unit, you will accrue an extra days leave entitlement for every month you are in that unit. Add this to the normal annual leave allowance, and you'll easily see that it can be quite difficult to cram in approx nine weeks leave for everyone in a three month period (like you would want to if you've been deployed for nine months). This is especially true if you take into account maintenance periods (which require the presence of most of the engineering types).

That was the long answer. The short answer is you get plenty of leave, just not necessarily when you want it.
  5. sgtpepperband & joe_crow, thanks a lot... though I have to say I'm not "worried" about it, just curious. I've wanted to be in the navy for the past 11 years & finally have the chance, so I'm going to relish it no matter what.

The only reason I asked really was because if I've been away for 4/6/9 months or however long, I'd like to know whether I'd be able to spend a bit of time with my fiance once we return to port. :oops:

Daffy1 your response was a little pointless & didn't answer my question in any way... are you drunk or something? :roll:

Cheers again folks! :D
  6. Well, we do, and we should do much more often. The only reason we have people on ships over leave is to watch over the machinery that is running to make the ship habitable for the people living on it. A very circular argument....
  7. As always Winston we be looking after your other half.
  8. Yeah, forgot about indoor mineswipers. Submarines duty watches, on the other hand, are primarily there to look after the reactor and associated systems.

9. can you translate this please?! 8O 8O
  10. Как вÑегда УинÑтон мы будем заботитьÑÑ Ñвою вторую половину

Hope this helps
  11. No, your momma