African welcome 2007

hobbit

War Hero
Probably one of the most spectacular continents on the planet Africa does not have the same image on the social scene, sad,

Welcome to South Africa ... f*** you
Friday Dec 14 20:00 AEDT
International visitors arriving at South Africa's OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg earlier this week were given the proverbial two fingers by welcome boards that read "f*** you".

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=337034

Daktari

Banned
Was there last year - flew into Cape Town and it couldn't be a more friendlier place but they are trying to make a show-case city out of it. "Look at us - we're being good boys now".

Then went up to Jo'burg and the place is the pits! First place I ever saw luggage being clingwrapped to stop the baggage handlers pilfering - mind think they just nicked the luggage if anything they thought was worth having showed up on x ray. We got told - stay in the hotel - do not go into the centre of Jo'burg at night. Also went into Pretoria - equally as bad.

When the world cup goes there next year me thinks that there will be trouble.

Football followers aren't famed as raucous Martini drinkers but maybe they should become proficient Martini users; if you get my drift Henry.

PINCH

War Hero
Daktari said:
Was there last year - flew into Cape Town and it couldn't be a more friendlier place but they are trying to make a show-case city out of it. "Look at us - we're being good boys now".

Then went up to Jo'burg and the place is the pits! First place I ever saw luggage being clingwrapped to stop the baggage handlers pilfering - mind think they just nicked the luggage if anything they thought was worth having showed up on x ray. We got told - stay in the hotel - do not go into the centre of Jo'burg at night. Also went into Pretoria - equally as bad.

Same experiance.. Football supporters will get a fecking shock if they try any tom foolery.

I would not go back there for a gold clock. Run by a bunch of non hopers who think that if you shower after unprotected sex you will not get AIDS.

Its a shame, Simonstown WAS a good run ashore.. How things change eh! :pukel:

Cutaway

Midshipman
hobbit said:
South Africa's OR Tambo International Airport
Jan Smuts was a man that stood up for his rights & his people.

He helped lead a guerilla army to victory over the mightiest army on the face of the earth in the First Boer War, and when he could see that the superior forces ranged against them in the Second, sued for a very advantageous peace.

On joining the Empire he held true to his word and supported the 'new' alliance, even managing to bring Denys Reitz into the fold ! Smuts was one of the most popular and respected generals in WWI, becoming one of five members of the War Cabinet and helping to create the RAF.

In WWII he became a Field Marshal and was again in the Imperial War Cabinet, this time led by Churchill.

He started the League of Nations and the UN, and later led his country through difficult times.

He was, in contrast to clowns like Bliar/Brown, a statesman in the true sense of the word, and fittingly JHB international airport was named after him.

Then the ANC rename it after a garden boy...

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
There was a story about Pretoria in the old days, that a lion got into the Parliament building and started eating the members, and nobody did anything, and then the lion ate the tea-boy and all hell broke loose.

Cutaway

Midshipman
janner said:
"helping to create the RAF." T*at :pukel: :pukel: :thumright:
Don't knock it 'moi luvver,' (non-queg,) Jannie kept the crimplene-clad shirkers away from both the Army and the Senior Service.

By the way, I've never understood why youse haven't abbreviated that moniker...
:wink:

wurz

Lantern Swinger
PINCH said:
Daktari said:

Same experiance.. Football supporters will get a fecking shock if they try any tom foolery.

I would not go back there for a gold clock. Run by a bunch of non hopers who think that if you shower after unprotected sex you will not get AIDS.

Its a shame, Simonstown WAS a good run ashore.. How things change eh! :pukel:
Simonstown is ok, I was there in May (at the time of the riots). I was talking to a few yarpies saying how I thought it was a joke that they were holding the world cup, they just havn't got the infrastructure for it, no hotels, public transport based on 30 people hanging off a minivan, then there is the friendly welcome, most of em rudgingly agreed but hope it will be ok!

9inchesofheaven

Midshipman
Cutaway, Oliver Tambo was anything but a garden boy!! He played an integral part in the struggle against Apartheid (along with Nelson Mandela) and his actions went along way in putting international pressure on South Africa and it's government at the time!

He was given refuge by the Britain and lived in Muswell Hill during his 30 year exile which should suggest to you the U.K's attitude towards him and what he stood for. He was a true fighter for the cause and an ANC hero. Therefore it is fitting that he be honoured by them.

This is not to say that Smuts wasn't a great man and doesn't deserve to be honoured as well. But as you can imagine (or if you're not actually South African you probably can't) symbols of the old regime stir up powerful and painful images for South Africans.

Stop being such a rascist **** and think before you make comments about men who accomplished more than you ever will.

Cutaway

Midshipman
Cutaway, Oliver Tambo was anything but a garden boy!! He played an integral part in the struggle against Apartheid (along with Nelson Mandela) and his actions went along way in putting international pressure on South Africa and it's government at the time!

He was given refuge by the Britain and lived in Muswell Hill during his 30 year exile which should suggest to you the U.K's attitude towards him and what he stood for. He was a true fighter for the cause and an ANC hero. Therefore it is fitting that he be honoured by them.

This is not to say that Smuts wasn't a great man and doesn't deserve to be honoured as well. But as you can imagine (or if you're not actually South African you probably can't) symbols of the old regime stir up powerful and painful images for South Africans.

Stop being such a rascist **** and think before you make comments about men who accomplished more than you ever will.
Eight years ago & only just spotted this.
He never made it to Lympstone, maybe because they wouldn't let him bring his own shooter.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UK to work with African Union to slow spread of coronavirus in Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Australia join forces in simulated African swine fever exercise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS African tech firms invited to join UK-led growth project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid boosts support for African women entrepreneurs to expand businesses into global markets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Liverpool engineers help African nations shift towards clean energy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sniffer dogs at the border join fight against African swine fever MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42: Interactive Dialogue on Central African Republic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK agreed trade continuity with six African nations MoD News 0
T South African Applicant Help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS New UK border campaign warns of threat of African swine fever MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 41: Central African Republic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Jeremy Hunt: Time for the world to see African nations as partners for investment and trade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: African tech talent touches down in London to participate in Go Global Africa programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK to invest up to £30m through partnership with African Union MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: South Sudan: Harassment of East African Monitoring Group MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: DFID Country Director's speech at the 2nd African Girls Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: DFID Ghana Social Sector Team Leader's speech at Adolescent and Youth Pre-Summit to African Union Second Girl Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Alun Cairns calls on Welsh schools to sign up to new UK aid backed programme to connect schools with African, Asian and Middle Eastern MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Protecting Civilians in Central African Republic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: First ever memorial to African and Caribbean Service Personnel unveiled in Brixton. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Mordaunt Cohen: A Jewish officer commanding African Muslims in Burma MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: British aircraft supports African mission to Mali MoD News 0
S African Civil War? Current Affairs 3
NZ_Bootneck South African Rugby Star dishes out some Justice Diamond Lil's 6
G Are these Lentils South African? Diamond Lil's 71
W African nations Sports and Adventure Training 6
N Another African Leader with his hands in the till. Current Affairs 7
C south african assault vest The Corps 3
P US Propose New African Command Current Affairs 9
MoD_RSS Environment Agency and Angling Trust welcome lifting of restrictions on recreational fishing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Simplified processes provide welcome boost for UK researchers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Strategic Command welcome new Deputy Commander MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Somalia: international partners welcome agreement between the Federal government and ASWJ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welcome new MHRA senior appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welcome interim Chief Executive Dr June Raine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK and Egypt welcome progress on trade talks MoD News 0
Sugar_Rush Interview- Advice and Tips very welcome Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
DontDrown TMU "Old War Story" Usual Boring Queries; but any advice most welcome! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Simon - Quest Magazine A WARM WELCOME (weather permitting) to the March issue of QUEST! The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Mail: "Welcome Home Daddy: Emotional Scenes Caught On Camera As Frigate Returns Home" Current Affairs 3
S Push-ups, sit-ups, sprints and burpees... welcome to the Royal Marines' gym Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T 40 Commando Royal Marines welcome home parade details The Corps 2
soleil North-West Evening Mail: "Barrow Crowds Welcome William And Kate To BAE Shipyard" Submariners 0
trelawney126 Liverpool gets ready to welcome new Carriers The Fleet 1
trelawney126 Foreign Student Welcome says Camoron Current Affairs 17
R i have my rt tuesday.. any tips are very welcome!! Diamond Lil's 10
trelawney126 Welcome Home. Dad The Fleet 14
soleil Defence Management Journal: "Wales 'Would Welcome UK Nuclear Fleet'" Submariners 2
MoD_RSS RNAS Culdrose to welcome Olympic Flame into UK Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Royal Marines return from Afghanistan to heroes' welcome Current Affairs 1