African welcome 2007

Discussion in 'International' started by hobbit, Dec 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably one of the most spectacular continents on the planet Africa does not have the same image on the social scene, sad,

Welcome to South Africa ... f*** you
    Friday Dec 14 20:00 AEDT
    International visitors arriving at South Africa's OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg earlier this week were given the proverbial two fingers by welcome boards that read "f*** you".
  2. Well it just goes to show, doesn't it.
    As the song goes, "I've never met a nice South African!"
  3. Does the Airport employ many ex matelot/squaddies?
  4. Was there last year - flew into Cape Town and it couldn't be a more friendlier place but they are trying to make a show-case city out of it. "Look at us - we're being good boys now".

Then went up to Jo'burg and the place is the pits! First place I ever saw luggage being clingwrapped to stop the baggage handlers pilfering - mind think they just nicked the luggage if anything they thought was worth having showed up on x ray. We got told - stay in the hotel - do not go into the centre of Jo'burg at night. Also went into Pretoria - equally as bad.

When the world cup goes there next year me thinks that there will be trouble.
  5. Football followers aren't famed as raucous Martini drinkers but maybe they should become proficient Martini users; if you get my drift Henry.
  6. Same experiance.. Football supporters will get a fecking shock if they try any tom foolery.

I would not go back there for a gold clock. Run by a bunch of non hopers who think that if you shower after unprotected sex you will not get AIDS.

Its a shame, Simonstown WAS a good run ashore.. How things change eh! :pukel:
  7. Jan Smuts was a man that stood up for his rights & his people.

He helped lead a guerilla army to victory over the mightiest army on the face of the earth in the First Boer War, and when he could see that the superior forces ranged against them in the Second, sued for a very advantageous peace.

On joining the Empire he held true to his word and supported the 'new' alliance, even managing to bring Denys Reitz into the fold ! Smuts was one of the most popular and respected generals in WWI, becoming one of five members of the War Cabinet and helping to create the RAF.

In WWII he became a Field Marshal and was again in the Imperial War Cabinet, this time led by Churchill.

He started the League of Nations and the UN, and later led his country through difficult times.

He was, in contrast to clowns like Bliar/Brown, a statesman in the true sense of the word, and fittingly JHB international airport was named after him.

Then the ANC rename it after a garden boy...
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

"helping to create the RAF." T*at :pukel: :pukel: :thumright:
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

There was a story about Pretoria in the old days, that a lion got into the Parliament building and started eating the members, and nobody did anything, and then the lion ate the tea-boy and all hell broke loose.
  10. Don't knock it 'moi luvver,' (non-queg,) Jannie kept the crimplene-clad shirkers away from both the Army and the Senior Service.

By the way, I've never understood why youse haven't abbreviated that moniker...
  11. Simonstown is ok, I was there in May (at the time of the riots). I was talking to a few yarpies saying how I thought it was a joke that they were holding the world cup, they just havn't got the infrastructure for it, no hotels, public transport based on 30 people hanging off a minivan, then there is the friendly welcome, most of em rudgingly agreed but hope it will be ok!
  12. Cutaway, Oliver Tambo was anything but a garden boy!! He played an integral part in the struggle against Apartheid (along with Nelson Mandela) and his actions went along way in putting international pressure on South Africa and it's government at the time!

He was given refuge by the Britain and lived in Muswell Hill during his 30 year exile which should suggest to you the U.K's attitude towards him and what he stood for. He was a true fighter for the cause and an ANC hero. Therefore it is fitting that he be honoured by them.

This is not to say that Smuts wasn't a great man and doesn't deserve to be honoured as well. But as you can imagine (or if you're not actually South African you probably can't) symbols of the old regime stir up powerful and painful images for South Africans.

Stop being such a rascist **** and think before you make comments about men who accomplished more than you ever will.
  13. Eight years ago & only just spotted this.
    He never made it to Lympstone, maybe because they wouldn't let him bring his own shooter.