AFPRB 2009

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by YouAreHavingALaugh, Mar 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tumble weed as we still wait.

Last minute micromanaging possibly?

2. Rumours of a pay freeze abound here, the cnuts.

3. Have also heard rumours of a pay freeze. Even though the CPI is still at 3%

4. You will still get your incremental rise but no actual pay increase for two years, that's the buzz.

5. Will there be a freeze on Civil Serpents bonus payments? :x

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Given that the rest of the public sector is getting payrises, and that the contents of the review are closely held, its unlikely in the extreme that the person saying "pay freeze" is correct. Also worth noting that the "bonus scheme" is as reviled by CS as everyone else - its a means of allowing the treasury to not have to give higher pay rises, and thus bigger pensions - no one in MOD wanted it, but HMT told the MOD that if it wasn't taken, then there would be no pay rise at all.

7. Anybody heard anything official about the pay rise/freeze yet?

Edit - other forums are claiming that we should hear on the 20th.

8. I've heard nowt mate, we've had a couple of visits by Senior bods this week, telling us how great we are, it seems like they are sugaring the pill and softening us up for something......

9. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Answer in hansard today says "announcement in due course as part of one pay rise announcement for the public sector".

10. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Funny that, when the economy is booming and the Unions are pressing for large pay rises the Armed Forces are treated as a seperate entity within the public sector but......... when the pressure is on unity in the public sector is the watchword.

"Public sector" have not faired too well in the last couple of years so I wouldn't be holding my breath for more than say 2% max if I were you. Apparently your pensions are unfair and out of balance with the private sector (who have of course quickly forgotten that they've been earning oodles of overtime and bonus payments for the last ten years) My private pension is considerably better than my armed forces pension when comparing time served against benefits - but then again I pay a wedge into it each month, as does my employer and the taxman of course treats me much better than when I was in, final salary too so I think that's just greed and envy speaking from those who didn't invest in their future.

I hope you all get a decent rise especially the more junior ranks, but I suspect not!

11. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Duty rumour has it that the most junior bods will be getting a pay rise of around 4% and that's from a reliable source. As for what the rest of us? Who knows!

12. Heard MP's are being questioned, and more importantly why are the banks, that the government now own, getting large pay rises, mortage discounts and other perks? Shouldn't these now stop until the banks have managed to pay their debt back, especially as we the military be getting the shaft as always.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I smell a journo... :oops: :?

14. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Maybe,,,but I smell a crap 38 th report for us.

15. Certainly appears that way...

16. Sod off, nearly 20 years done! Been there when we kept getting the crappy pay rises that were split over the year the first half in April and then the remainder in november, resulting in only a payrise worth 3/4 of what the offered depending on how they split it. Got seen off with pay2k, ONE PENCE PAYRISE I GOT!! I ain't a jorno!

17. Christ yeah!! Forgot about that!! Those rises were a load of old pants as I recall... :evil:

18. I had an argument with the 3 ringer who came to present the first one of those staged awards, in a crowded lecture theatre in Cale. He would not accept the simple fact that 1(in April)+1(in Oct)=1.5. I may have been a bit rude.

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Whatever they give in one hand they will take away with the other.

Dont want to p1ss off anyone serving but, I can also see a scenario of no pay rise at all for the armed forces, there wouldn't be much of a media outcry about it, so why not? Especially if some waffle was announced at the same time about "prioritising" limited funds to the frontline etc.

20. 3.7% According to The Times yesterday. No specific details though.

DBF 8)