Afghanistan

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Lt_Gen_Me, Jun 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Chaps and Chapesses,

Just a quickie, how likely is it for a junior Warfare Officer to volunteer – and be sent – to Afghanistan? Obviously we’re hoping to withdraw in the near future but as the current situation stands….?

Thanks.

Lt_Gen

2. If you want to be certain of an Afghan trip, look to the Army. You may go out as a Warfarey but unlikely (depending on what stage you're at now - if you haven't joined yet then by the time you do Warfare Training and a couple of jobs you're talking 3-5 years away).

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Unlikely unless you have specific skills. There are some CAPPS jobs out there, but I saw few junior RN officers while I was out there - most were senior Lts and above unless present in a specific branch role.

RNR has plenty of ground opportunities though ;-)

4. Yep, working for supreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. There's an opportunity after your 2nd job, but that's about 6 years away from the day you arrive at BRNC.

If you're in, speak to your DO and CO about it.

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Yep, working for supreme."

That would go a long way to explaining why the food is so universally shite there. Thanks MLP, you've just kick started my PTSD with the mention of the phrase 'supreme'. [email protected] ....

7. In the Warfare branch very limited opportunities unless you are (Sea King) aircrew. You are more likely to go as a Logistics Officer or, in signifcantly smaller quantities, engineers.