Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Lt_Gen_Me, Jun 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Chaps and Chapesses,

Just a quickie, how likely is it for a junior Warfare Officer to volunteer – and be sent – to Afghanistan? Obviously we’re hoping to withdraw in the near future but as the current situation stands….?

2. If you want to be certain of an Afghan trip, look to the Army. You may go out as a Warfarey but unlikely (depending on what stage you're at now - if you haven't joined yet then by the time you do Warfare Training and a couple of jobs you're talking 3-5 years away).
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Unlikely unless you have specific skills. There are some CAPPS jobs out there, but I saw few junior RN officers while I was out there - most were senior Lts and above unless present in a specific branch role.

RNR has plenty of ground opportunities though ;-)
  4. Yep, working for supreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. There's an opportunity after your 2nd job, but that's about 6 years away from the day you arrive at BRNC.

If you're in, speak to your DO and CO about it.
  6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Yep, working for supreme."

That would go a long way to explaining why the food is so universally shite there. Thanks MLP, you've just kick started my PTSD with the mention of the phrase 'supreme'. [email protected] ....
  7. In the Warfare branch very limited opportunities unless you are (Sea King) aircrew. You are more likely to go as a Logistics Officer or, in signifcantly smaller quantities, engineers.