Afghan president's brother denies links to heroin trade

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by AfterSSE, Oct 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is this not really surprising?

While our lads are dying in this God forsaken country, the local politicians are keeping the status quo....maybe it's time to remove ourselves from this quagmire... :hockey:
  2. Opium is the only "cash" crop in Afghanistan it is no suprise that there is involvement at every level of Afghan society both in and out of Government.But supposedly that is not what our Armed forces are there to sort out so it is no more than a distraction from the main event.
  3. Except, proceeds from the sale of the Heroin is going to funding the Taleban and other terrorist groups through the war lords who control great swaths of Afghanistan, so indirectly this does involve our troops..
  4. I have no doubt some of the drug money finds its way into the coffers of the Taliban,but I understand that to wipe out or even try to wipe out the trade is a non-starter as we would end up fighting all of the Afghans as well.
  5. Can't walk away as we'd lose credibility completely and it is just possible that we will make a difference there unlike some other parts of the [nearby] world.

Can't attack the crops because we're not there to do that and it would result in most of the locals being off-side and prolonging the problem.

Can't implement alternative methods of making a living as too many bad guys getting in the way.

Can't stop the fact that there is corruption at all levels as this is generally considered a normal, almost acceptable, method of doing business in those parts.

Can't for the life of me thing of a way forward but Gaw'd bless our boys and girls and the excellent job they're doing out there.

6. Trust me I am all for supporting our troops there, but for the life of me, the only difference here then in Iraq is that here it's opium and there it's oil, so again why should our troops be doing this.

I heard awhile back that the pharmaceutical companies could more then take care of buying these crops for the safe use of the drugs and then you would wipe out the middleman (the war lords) until this is corrected, we will be there as long as we were in Cyprus or as you lot are still long has that been?

I also believe we are making a difference there as opposed to Iraq, but you have to wonder if maybe we are going about it the wrong way...
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Although I'm fearful of sounding like Ninja, do you have any references or any means of supporting your comment:
    "I heard awhile back that the pharmaceutical companies could more then take care of buying these crops for the safe use of the drugs"
    Not being picky, just interested.

8. It's actually an old idea, but has had little press, for reasons I'm sure the US would like to keep under the table..