Afghan president's brother denies links to heroin trade

#1
Why is this not really surprising?

The brother of Afghan President Hamid Karzai has vehemently denied renewed allegations that he is involved with Afghanistan's drug trade, accusing Western governments of political meddling.

"These accusations are false," Ahmed Wali Karzai told reporters on Monday in response to an article published by the New York Times linking him to heroin trafficking in Afghanistan.

"All the accusations are politically motivated. I'm the victim of vicious politics," said Wali Karzai, chair of the provincial government council in southern Kandahar province.


'Lets hope that the truth is revealed, but I for one am not optimistic we will ever get the true facts.'

--Liz

Add your comment

His brother, President Karzai, has in recent weeks been increasingly vocal about Afghan civilian casualties, and has urged U.S. and NATO forces to exercise greater restraint in their military activities.

"Whenever the president of Afghanistan takes stands against international communities, then it is always followed by articles against me," he said from his family's compound in Kandahar City.

"So I am sort of like a punching bag for the president. Whenever someone is not happy with the president, they come to punch me."
Wali Karzai linked to trafficking

U.S. investigators spoke of two separate incidents in 2004 and 2006 linking Wali Karzai to trafficking, the New York Times reported.

In the 2004 incident, Wali Karzai allegedly ordered the release of large shipments of heroin seized by Afghan security officials. In 2006, following a seizure of a heroin-laden truck, U.S. investigators found links between a bodyguard believed to be Wali Karzai's subordinate and the shipment.

The Times report also says two senior U.S. officials in the White House believe the president's brother is still involved in trafficking, and that he is a political liability.

"We should also note, though, that these accusations have been circulating around Afghanistan for quite some time, and there never has been an investigation launched into Ahmed Wali Karzai's alleged drug connections," said the CBC's Melissa Fung from Kandahar on Monday.

U.S. intelligence officials have harboured suspicions about Wali Karzai's links to the heroin trade since 2006, reported the Times.

It's estimated Afghanistan is the source of 92 per cent of the world's supply of opium, the raw material used for making heroin.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/10/06/afghan-heroin.html

While our lads are dying in this God forsaken country, the local politicians are keeping the status quo....maybe it's time to remove ourselves from this quagmire... :hockey:
 
#2
Opium is the only "cash" crop in Afghanistan it is no suprise that there is involvement at every level of Afghan society both in and out of Government.But supposedly that is not what our Armed forces are there to sort out so it is no more than a distraction from the main event.
 
#3
fishhead said:
Opium is the only "cash" crop in Afghanistan it is no suprise that there is involvement at every level of Afghan society both in and out of Government.But supposedly that is not what our Armed forces are there to sort out so it is no more than a distraction from the main event.
Except, proceeds from the sale of the Heroin is going to funding the Taleban and other terrorist groups through the war lords who control great swaths of Afghanistan, so indirectly this does involve our troops..
 
#4
AfterSSE said:
fishhead said:
Opium is the only "cash" crop in Afghanistan it is no suprise that there is involvement at every level of Afghan society both in and out of Government.But supposedly that is not what our Armed forces are there to sort out so it is no more than a distraction from the main event.
Except, proceeds from the sale of the Heroin is going to funding the Taleban and other terrorist groups through the war lords who control great swaths of Afghanistan, so indirectly this does involve our troops..
I have no doubt some of the drug money finds its way into the coffers of the Taliban,but I understand that to wipe out or even try to wipe out the trade is a non-starter as we would end up fighting all of the Afghans as well.
 
#5
Can't walk away as we'd lose credibility completely and it is just possible that we will make a difference there unlike some other parts of the [nearby] world.

Can't attack the crops because we're not there to do that and it would result in most of the locals being off-side and prolonging the problem.

Can't implement alternative methods of making a living as too many bad guys getting in the way.

Can't stop the fact that there is corruption at all levels as this is generally considered a normal, almost acceptable, method of doing business in those parts.

Can't for the life of me thing of a way forward but Gaw'd bless our boys and girls and the excellent job they're doing out there.

SF
 
#6
Trust me I am all for supporting our troops there, but for the life of me, the only difference here then in Iraq is that here it's opium and there it's oil, so again why should our troops be doing this.

I heard awhile back that the pharmaceutical companies could more then take care of buying these crops for the safe use of the drugs and then you would wipe out the middleman (the war lords) until this is corrected, we will be there as long as we were in Cyprus or as you lot are still there...how long has that been?

I also believe we are making a difference there as opposed to Iraq, but you have to wonder if maybe we are going about it the wrong way...
 

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#7
ASSE,
Although I'm fearful of sounding like Ninja, do you have any references or any means of supporting your comment:
"I heard awhile back that the pharmaceutical companies could more then take care of buying these crops for the safe use of the drugs"
Not being picky, just interested.
 
#8
tiddlyoggy said:
ASSE,
Although I'm fearful of sounding like Ninja, do you have any references or any means of supporting your comment:
"I heard awhile back that the pharmaceutical companies could more then take care of buying these crops for the safe use of the drugs"
Not being picky, just interested.

It's actually an old idea, but has had little press, for reasons I'm sure the US would like to keep under the table..


http://justiceanddrugs.blogspot.com/2008/06/more-pain-relief-needed-use.html

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/09/09/africa/pain.php

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/health/10pain.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/61144/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/w...ionsnwr1-in-nwr-31-24.html?pagewanted=3&fta=y
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Current Affairs 13
Jenny_Dabber Current Affairs 1
Floppyjocky Current Affairs 6

Similar threads