Afghan Casualties (Discussion not condolences).

Re: Afghan Casualties

finknottle said:
More tragic losses my sincere condolences to family and friends.

Article by Col Tim Collins in todays Mirror I for one think he puts it well:

By Col Tim Collins 11/07/2009

Our losses this week serve to remind the British public we are at war.

We have suffered high losses among our young servicemen. Precious lives were sacrificed to keep us safe.

If we lose this struggle then we can expect to pay a higher price in terms of civilian casualties here in the UK - and everywhere else in Europe and the free world for that matter.

The British Army are engaged in a battle in the very crucible of a death cult that seeks to drag civilisation backwards to the dark ages.

The people of Afghanistan have been the victims, abused and degraded by the Taliban for years. (The Taliban are not soldiers, they are criminals).
But our boys are better. We are beating them at a rate that is unsustainable. They know it too. .

First and foremost I continue to be dismayed and saddened by the losses we have sustained, and on more than one occasion have asked myself "what the f**k is this all about". Whilst the troops are doing a hard job very well, I cannot help but feel that it is all in vain.

To describe the Taleban as criminals is far too simplistic. They are not soldiers as we understand the term, but that is largely irrelevant. Their motives are many and varied, ranging from purely religious to simply wanting to have a go at the "infidels". The Wests behaviour has not always been immaculate, eg Gitmo and collateral damage.

As long as we use as many weapons as we have been doing, trying to convince the ordinary Afghani (always assuming there is such a thing) that we mean well is too much like shovelling sh1t uphill. Unfortunately now that we have started it will be difficult to stop. As for us beating them at a rate that is unsustainable, I would like to believe that, but find it very difficult to do so, therefore we can expect to spend a very long time out there with an ever lengthening casualty list.

Bergen

ADC
superpom said:
As a proportion of losses relative to numbers engaged in the 'Ghan', Canada has done it's duty at some cost. Canada is a large country with a small population in comparison, and an even smaller Armed forces. Politics aside, Canadian forces on the ground have done their duty, at considerable cost and as a Brit, and an ex serviceman now living Canada, they have my utmost admiration! To attempt to belittle any army at the sharp end so to speak, does no one any credit at all, and I say 'shame on you'!

As to the 'Mission'....I have mixed feelings....However, I am tempted to pull out the Brits and the Canadians (the US seem to be stuck with it I am afraid) UNLESS other countries at this time sending their troops to the rear for a 'jolly, get their finger out and provide the forces and logistics at the sharp end to assist the real operation at this time, squeezing the Taliban between the (fighting) coalition and the operations in Pakistan!

Good luck to you lads & lassies...with the politicians we have today in both Canada and the UK, you need all the freebie luck you can get!!!

Wasn't aware that anyone had "belittled" any of the troops at the sharp end. The Canadians have aquitted themselves as good as anyone and better than most. My comments were specifically aimed at the politicians who are responsible for this mess and the idiot who thinks that troop commitments can be stopped for 'a breather'. These decisions are not made by the military but by the politicians. They are not made for military reasons but for political expediency. The Canadians and the Brits both suffer from political lightweights.

Harper had his head so far up Bush's arse that [like The Bliar] he subborned Canada's interests to those of the USA. The one question that no-one seems prepared to answer is that how a rich [relatively] and populous country like Canada has not prepared [after many years] to maintain troops in the field. Valid question that I think is best answered by Canadians with an explanation of why there is so little public support for the mission in Ottawa.

It seems strange that on July 4th 2002 Bush minor announced the total defeat of the Taleban in Afghanistan before setting off on his Arabian adventure.

RM