Discussion in 'The Corps' started by tornado, Oct 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I know before you apply you can have an `informal chat` at the AFCO with a careers advisor. Just wondering will they ask for my address or phone number?

I dont really want to tell them, I have not told my parents yet and don't want them finding out till I tell them, not the AFCO giving it away!

2. They ask you you to fill out some sort of interest form. I haven't had any info from them though...
  3. More quaility advise form Tim (KNOB)' :knob:

Just go to your AFCO and talk to the nice man in there, ask whatever questions you may have and explain your situation. Joining is a long process whats a few more weeks until you tell your parents.

4. What? They DO ask you to fill in a form that was called something like "sign of interest" :roll: . I presume they use it to bombard you with information if you don't take the application any further within x amount of time.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The obvious solution is to talk to your parents first. They may have a very valid reason why you should not join, one you hadn't considered.

If you're under 18, you cannot join without their consent or even start the selection process.

If you're over 18, you are legally free to do as you choose, however discretion would suggest that in either eventuality you bring them with you to the AFCO so everyone gets their questions answered - after which you can make a choice, with your parents, whether you join & when you join.
  6. Mate the AFCO are there to help, before i started the process i just phoned them up arranged a date and time and that was it, Just an informal chat, Pros and cons etc, what the job involved.
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Is it alright to come by yourself if you don't have any parents, or do you have to get someone to adopt you?
  8. Thanks for replies. Do you have to book it or can you go any time?

I dont want to tell my parents until I have talked to the AFCO first, i just want to make sure every things good before i tell them to avoid any unnecessary upsetting them. Also I don't want to apply till after Christmas, i'm still working on my fitness.

By the way is there any advantages/disadvantages of joining before your 18 or after? I turn 18 in April.
  9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yep. You get less kickings if you're under 18 because of the childrens act. :D

Seriously, i would wait until you are 18. Work on your fitness until then. It's only a few months away and what's a few months if you intend to make a career of it? Don't join up semi fit. Go in fit as a butchers dog.
  10. Thanks, other than fitness and less kicking which sounds good, any other reasons for/against?

I joined the gym about 2 months ago and I have been following the RM Fitness Training tool for 4 weeks now. I think if I keep this up till Christmas I should be in pretty good shape by then, its also the best time to leave my current job.
  11. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Think about it very carefully mate. Remember, you will need your parents permission to join before you are 18 in any event. Waiting the extra months will benefit you no end. The military is 9 parts waiting and 1 part fighting in any event.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Call-in anytime mon-fri 09:00 - 16:00 for the bigger offices, ring first (AFCO link below) to check, in the smaller cities as there maybe only one Careers Adviser. The tip is to ring or call-in first thing as it gets rather busy from 12:00 onwards in the inner city AFCOs.

You can ring the helpline (virtual AFCO) 09:00-21:00 7 days per week, excluding Bank holidays.

With regard age upon joining, you cannot deploy operationally until 18, but then again you can earn £205 per week (after all stoppages) from the age of 16 or claim £30 per week EMA if you go to college.

Waiting times from passing the Recruiting Test to entry for Royal Marines, assuming you're 100% fit & ready, takes about 6 months on average. To give an idea, one of my candidates passed the Potential Royal Marines Course last week- his entry date is February- the wait is getting longer.
  13. Thanks, how long is the wait for PRMC?

And I guess London AFCO will be very busy then?
  14. Oh the PRMC, i still remember mine, its the only time you get thrashed as a civie.
    Have fun.