AFCO Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by officerlog, Dec 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thought i'd post my experience of the first medical in case anyone is concerned/ feels they need to practice touching their toes.

Started off with a few standard questions including family medical history and handed in my opticians report.

- hearing check involving putting on earphones and clicking a button when you hear a beep
    - blood pressure check
    - strip down to underwear (personally i was sporting a fine pair of white CKs)
    - measure height/weight
    - do 3 press ups
    - touch toes
    - squat and walk 5 steps
    - walk 5 steps on the side of your feet
    - listen to heart and various other points on my masculine torso
    - hernia check (somewhere around my stomach area)
    - strip down to your birthday suit
    - testis check including coughing 8O
    - get changed
    - ear/eye check
    - blow into a pipe thing check

and there you go. i've probably missed a couple of things out but i think that's the gist of it.

2. all i had was the hernia check never had the cough test or push ups all he did was check my breathing and a bit feel about must just depend on who does it lol

3. same as what i had

4. The hearing test was a barstard!

5. Don't swear, that should have read:

'The hearing test was a beep!'

:wink:

6. although i reckon if you pressed it every 3 seconds anyway you would still pass....

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, one sincerely hopes this was a peak flow meter you were invited to blow.

8. Luckily it was a woman. If a man had asked me to 'blow into his pipe' I would have most probably quit my application there and then. Although I do really want to be in the navy.....

9. What so only prospective Royals get the chocolate starfish check then?

Just me? :oops:

10. Haha good one :lol:

11. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, it's just to check that you don't shed an involuntary tear when interrogated internally.

12. I gritted my teeth and didn't enjoy it at all, honest. 8O :?

13. I had mine yesterday - possibly at the same place. While I didn't have to do any push-ups, I did have to do a quick Ishihara (spotted numbers) colourblindness test, as well as leaving a fine sample of brew in the measuring cup provided. Just thought Id add those on as aspects to expect :)

14. ah yes. forgot about them.

weird that they give you a colour blindness test depite having a thorough check up at the opticians....

15. Ninja_Stoker

The reason for this is that civilian opticians can only test to CP2.

They usually use the Ishihara Test (coloured dots) & if you get any of 14 plates wrong, you're below CP2. To test above CP2, you need to undergo the Lantern Test on half brightness, to test below, if you fail the Ishihara & Lantern on full brightness (CP3) they give you either a colour expanse test and/or a coloured wire trade test (CP4 or less).

16. I never had any of that! I'm a girl, but surely there shouldn't be that much of a difference?

17. CHF

CHF

are them tests still conducted now?

18. You may want to grammar check your post then try again.

19. It's OK AngryDoc, I spent my gap year on a charity expedition helping morons. You know the sort of thing, building wells, teaching them about contraception and what not. As such I speak a little of their language.

Them tests is conducted still.

20. CHF

CHF

Are you sure? I don't think any of you on here really know much about the medical...some say one thing and others say another!