AET

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by shawaddy_waddy, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello!

I am currently waiting for my start date (damn postal strike is not helping matters!) at HMS Raleigh and recently found this site. Ive had a scan through the forums but I just had a question (sorry if this has been answered before but i've just finished work and all the words are now blurring into one!)

I was just wondering what promotion/career progression is like for AET's and how long it would realistically take to become a leading rate (assuming you are not selected for fast track).

Many thanks

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The last AET Branch Managers brief I attended (November 2008) it was stated that Leading Rate for non-fast-track AETs was realistically achievable within 4 years for those prepared to "pull their fingers out".

3. There lies the problem.

Introduce normal people to an alcohol induced environment with the odd visit to exotic parts of the globe and even the most dedicated fall by the way side. :? :lol:

But seriously, if anyone wants promotion, go for it but don't expect mates to understand why your not going ashore on the piss.

Lifes all about what you want and not the flock.

AET can be a good career.

4. I joined up in 2004 and have had my leading rate since summer last year, it is true you will get promoted if you pull your finger out.

5. I am a current serving AET, and this sounds about right...