AET - Whats it like

So, I've passed my physiometric test and I'm able to become an AET.

I have a few questions, does anyone know the rough waiting time currently for it, as I've been told I probably won't be going anywhere / basic training this side of easter what is pretty crappy. I'm currently Unemployed.

I have my interview mid next month, any tips on what I can prepare for. I had a run down of what some of the basics are going to be, anything they'll try and catch me out on?

Whats life like as an AET. It's something I've wanted to do for awhile, but I have really low self esteem and confidence, and the basic training doesn't phase me, its more being around a group of people for 10 weeks. I generally can't talk much anymore (I'm getting better) but I'm worried I'm just going to come across as rude because I don't have the confidence to talk

Did basic training build you up as a man?

From an old farts perspective. I joined as a NAM which is the equivalent of todays modern AET's.
No idea of waiting or the new training regime. But the job is well worth it. Most satisfying once you have passed a few basic trade specific points. You have to become Qualified to Maintain on aircraft type. QM then QS which is Qualified to sign. Meaning you will be able to sign for work you have carried out on the aircraft you have maintained. Obviously you start as a new boy knowing sod all other than basic routines. Once you have left the training environment. Learning will begin. Each aircraft you work on will mean you have to learn new systems and procedures. Then there is your professional progression. (Promotion = more money = more perks).
There are basically two types of draft/posting. Front line - on board a sea going squadron. Second line, shore based squadrons. That said, many second line sqdn's do deploy on board ships for training both ground crews and aircrew training, so don't think being draft ashore means home every night. (Although your shore time is vastly longer than that of the general service). By virtue of most aircraft are shore based.
But as Sumo said, use the search function - loads on there and many up to date information too. (All my experience was on aircraft you can now see in the FAA museum at Yeovilton!!!!!!!)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T The Fleet Air Arm 4
S Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
S The Fleet Air Arm 65