AET What aspects of math should I practice?

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Evening chaps, currently at the medical stage of my application to join the Navy as a AET .I left school a little while back now 20 now and didnt get a grade C in maths , for the Rt I revised like mad to pass it , but Im wondering what aspects I should be now looking at to get my self up to standard . Maths is not my talent but I can learn it but I don’t want to go in and struggle like f*** in phase two . I have had a look at some older posts on the forum and have allready started having a look at ohms law etc but still abit unsure about other area’s . I would be leaning to working on the engine and more mech side of it if that is an option or makes any difference ? Much apreciated cheers

slim

War Hero
If you are thinking of electrical then many of the calculations involve having a sound grounding in Algebra and more importantly Trigonometry.
As you progress calculus will rear its ugly head and you will need to get your head around j notation.
If you have just had the medical then it will probably be some time until you get an entry date.
Use this time to study to GCSE (or whatever it is today) at your local college of knowledge
Best of luck

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for the info ! I think the big bits of metal that make the noise and fire really get my interest (courtesy of having a dad that was what you’d call a crab of 17 years hehe) Im going to look into doing an evening class maybe in the mean time !

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Is there any specific mathematics methods or thoeries etc that I would need to learn for the mechanical aspects of the course?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I was crap and hated maths at school (and in the RN!). All the maths you do are a necessary evil to get you through the course at the time and you will be taught it progressively as you proceed through your career courses.

I did the old Mech's course and some of the maths was horrendous. You have to pass, but once in the field, you very seldom need to use any maths - any you do need at a high level will be in conjunction with books and peers!

I never needed the Calculus or j notation I sweated hours over in the classroom! Ever. I did use Ohms law type maths.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Cheers for the gen , I maybe worrying about it too much but fron previous threads people who fail the course fail it on the mathematics side of it so I thought I better start learning some of principles.

Sumo

War Hero
How do you differentiate between swearing and non-swearing. He'll need to bone up on his calculus if he's going to integrate well :)
I to use all that hard sums stuff, for my sin, I went onto study a Maths degree with the OU pure and applied sums, my only real need for that level of maths has been to help the family through school and university. @SONAR-BENDER is correct you will be instructed on what's required, but those that really breezed through were those that had studied to a A Level and were closer to school I.e. Not 10 years plus since last in a class room.
@Maxpowers doing some college courses will stand you in good stead, speak to the college, tell them what you intend to do and take there advice, good look.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
I to use all that hard sums stuff, for my sin, I went onto study a Maths degree with the OU pure and applied sums, my only real need for that level of maths has been to help the family through school and university. @SONAR-BENDER is correct you will be instructed on what's required, but those that really breezed through were those that had studied to a A Level and were closer to school I.e. Not 10 years plus since last in a class room.
@Maxpowers doing some college courses will stand you in good stead, speak to the college, tell them what you intend to do and take there advice, good look.
Im defiantly not at A level standard but would say gsce , I did functional skills at college up to what they said was equivalent to a grade c . I think I may find my nearest place of learning and see what I can do ! Thanks for the info.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Stop it - NOW.

YOU - ARE - OVER - WORRYING - ABOUT - THIS!

You've been told, if you feel that bad, just see a private maths tutor to see your weak points. But FFS stop worrying.

Speaking as a total maths waste of space.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Stop it - NOW.

YOU - ARE - OVER - WORRYING - ABOUT - THIS!

You've been told, if you feel that bad, just see a private maths tutor to see your weak points. But FFS stop worrying.

Speaking as a total maths waste of space.
point taken .... I don't feel that bad but had been working my self up for some reason .

Sumo

War Hero
point taken .... I don't feel that bad but had been working my self up for some reason .
@SONAR-BENDER told you he is shit and he transferred from dabber to weapons engineer and made chief submariner, so stop worrying, I would say I was less than GCSE I had CSE 4 in maths when I joined about a GCSE D/E namet 4 , stop worrying, stay fit and don't get injured

Waspie

War Hero
Seriously - Chill. Its aircraft engineers they want not atomic physicists!!!!!!!
You'll be throwing spanners at aircraft not walking around doing ONC mathematics.
Westlands have already done the maths to get the thing in the air. All you have to do is occasionally work out a few weight calculations involving torque and the like. They will train you on those aspects!
Again. Chill. Your reading way too much and looking too far ahead.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
@SONAR-BENDER told you he is shit and he transferred from dabber to weapons engineer and made chief submariner, so stop worrying, I would say I was less than GCSE I had CSE 4 in maths when I joined about a GCSE D/E namet 4 , stop worrying, stay fit and don't get injured
Aw shucks, I didn't know you'd been stalking me paying attention! ;)