AET Waiting times

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Tool Control is not a dirty word......

Just unheard of in other branches of the RN ;)
Old dit, told before.

When I joined Bulwark (the old rusty one) I was issued my tool-roll. Remember them, the grey PVC canvas jobbies. Anyway, that was it - an empty tool roll!!

It was down to you to 'creatively' fill the tool-roll. This was achieved fairly rapidly!

The kicker was that the EMR Chief mustered them every so often and took out all the stuff you 'weren't supposed to have'....... before giving it back!

As a Chief on boats, I always had one of those screwdriver sets in a roll, with a mini shifter in one pocket, and a tickler tin with fuses and other small tool stuff in the other. Saved loads of time.

Old dit, told before.

When I joined Bulwark (the old rusty one) I was issued my tool-roll. Remember them, the grey PVC canvas jobbies. Anyway, that was it - an empty tool roll!!

It was down to you to 'creatively' fill the tool-roll. This was achieved fairly rapidly!

The kicker was that the EMR Chief mustered them every so often and took out all the stuff you 'weren't supposed to have'....... before giving it back!

As a Chief on boats, I always had one of those screwdriver sets in a roll, with a mini shifter in one pocket, and a tickler tin with fuses and other small tool stuff in the other. Saved loads of time.

Just the thought of it makes me bilious :)

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Old dit, told before.

Deja Vu, exactly the same when I was on the Rusty b, but I ditched the toolroll for a tool bag as it was easier to carry stuff around in, especially for opportunist tool acquiring, same on boats though, smally screwy, a 6" shifter, a 10mm spanner, a multi-tool and a maglight torch was good for 90% of instant fixes.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
......... a multi-tool .........
The first time I saw one of them, the original Leatherman, was when we had 'THEM' onboard the boat - both lots, which is another dit! They all had little leather pouches with a shiny gadget inside.

Anyway, being a switched on Chief, I had a good look at one and got the NSN off it. I tried, Pliers, Folding NSN etc - and guess what? Pretty soon (allegedly) some arrived, and as the buzz spread, several more were ordered..... Until.....

A memo from on high demanding that ALL Pliers, Folding, or whatever were returned immediately, as they were SF issue only.

Sadly, my 4 (1 for each lad and me 2 for being smart) had been removed from my store cage (Faslane) before I got there..........

I've still got the number - wonder what it would get you these days!

The first time I saw one of them, the original Leatherman, was when we had 'THEM' onboard the boat - both lots, which is another dit! They all had little leather pouches with a shiny gadget inside.

Anyway, being a switched on Chief, I had a good look at one and got the NSN off it. I tried, Pliers, Folding NSN etc - and guess what? Pretty soon (allegedly) some arrived, and as the buzz spread, several more were ordered..... Until.....

A memo from on high demanding that ALL Pliers, Folding, or whatever were returned immediately, as they were SF issue only.

Sadly, my 4 (1 for each lad and me 2 for being smart) had been removed from my store cage (Faslane) before I got there..........

I've still got the number - wonder what it would get you these days!
Surprising what you are not allowed to have, we ordered some sticky backed tywrap mounts for a GPS Mod on Sea Harriers, we were told these were only to be used for Rapier Missile Systems.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
(Well off thread now!)

As above, diving gear - the very shiny expensive bit that attaches to the cylinder and the shiny bit that goes in your mouth were both consumable i ordered apart. If however you ordered a full set, with the cheap rubber hose connecting them, it then became accountable and permamnent!

WreckerL

War Hero
Even subtler, when the stores BR came out on CD, we had a browse through and ordered some of those flight deck marshall batons that light up, they wouldn't let us have them as no requirement on submarines!

That ended the 2 deck Light Sabre competition stone dead before it started :(

Even subtler, when the stores BR came out on CD, we had a browse through and ordered some of those flight deck marshall batons that light up, they wouldn't let us have them as no requirement on submarines!

That ended the 2 deck Light Sabre competition stone dead before it started :(
Batons!!!! Marshalling Wands :)