AET vs CT

the_matelot

War Hero
AET v CT?

Having done both (in excess of 5 years as an AET-killicks taskbook done in no time at all so wasn't slacking) and in excess of 7 years as a CT, I can safely say that you would probably have a more enjoyable career as a CT especially if you've got a degree in politics (like myself).

However, it is your choice. Just remember that the chances of you getting a branch change are minimal and those who have been successful sideways entries have had to wait years to get on course (I'm speaking from experience).

From entering Raleigh to getting your hooks will take (depending on satisfactory progress and completion of task books) about 2 1/2 years as a direct entry CT. I knew plenty of more than capable AETs/AEMs who were still AB's at the 9/10 year point.

Trust me, the maths on AET's course isn't that difficult-in fact, the course is very easy in comparison to what you will have to go through on CT's course where you will be challenged mentally (although most of us are 'challenged' in some way or another :wink: ).

I could tell you more but you're not cleared to know :D

masha35

Badgeman
the_matelot said:
AET v CT?
easy in comparison to what you will have to go through on CT's course where you will be challenged mentally (although most of us are 'challenged' in some way or another :wink: ).

Great reply and thanks....very lucky to have someone on here that is similar in background etc.......

When you say very challenging etc, do you mean in work load or that ,for example, its very very cryptic etc. I know you are constrained from divulging too much etc but......

I mean personally im good at thigs like covering large amounts of text and getting info from it quickly and accurately but im not really a very cryptic type person. I dont think brain teasers are my strongest suite. Im a good writer when i can be bothered, have good historical knowledge, geo politics, military affairs etc etc.....in other words good with hard facts, piecing them together and possibly seeing the bigger or real picture.(id be a very good politcal researcher perhaps)

As for crazy puzzles that invariably start with something like John knows mary but doesnt know mary's sister beth...........blah blah how would john meet mary's sister beth if mary's sister went ......that kind of brain twisting clap trap........

Its hard to call the CT stuff because of its spook like status.......

Ja5on

War Hero
masha35 said:
the_matelot said:
AET v CT?
easy in comparison to what you will have to go through on CT's course where you will be challenged mentally (although most of us are 'challenged' in some way or another :wink: ).

Great reply and thanks....very lucky to have someone on here that is similar in background etc.......

When you say very challenging etc, do you mean in work load or that ,for example, its very very cryptic etc. I know you are constrained from divulging too much etc but......

I mean personally im good at thigs like covering large amounts of text and getting info from it quickly and accurately but im not really a very cryptic type person. I dont think brain teasers are my strongest suite. Im a good writer when i can be bothered, have good historical knowledge, geo politics, military affairs etc etc.....in other words good with hard facts, piecing them together and possibly seeing the bigger or real picture.(id be a very good politcal researcher perhaps)

As for crazy puzzles that invariably start with something like John knows mary but doesnt know mary's sister beth...........blah blah how would john meet mary's sister beth if mary's sister went ......that kind of brain twisting clap trap........

Its hard to call the CT stuff because of its spook like status.......

If John met Mary's sister would he dump Mary and shag her, or shag her anyway and keep them both hanging on or would they agree to share John?

the_matelot

War Hero
Fire away masha!

I hate cryptic stuff. I remember on the first week of our course, we went out for a curry with some RAF trainee Int Op (A)'s (RAF CT's basically) and two of them were doing stuff like that. They got put back in their boxes by ourselves fairly rapidly! You won't be expected to do stuff like that. An inquisitive mind does help as does the following

Ignoring snide comments about 'why aren't you gone weekenders already?'
Ignoring 'what are you doing up so early?' comments at 2 in the afternoon.
Ignoring any other gash comments as they're just jealous.

We're all fcuking divs and make Einstein look as thick as your stereotypical stoker! :D (awaiting income from N_S.....)

BTW, I'd go for Mary's sister instead. She takes it up the Gary Glitter (allegedly).

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
the_matelot said:
We're all fcuking divs and make Einstein look as thick as your stereotypical stoker! :D (awaiting income from N_S.....)

What, Einstein is divs….

albert_einstein.jpg

And you had a fling with Gary?

gary_glitter.jpg

As a stoker, one has to concede that there are some rather uncouth lesser trades out there. :wink:

masha35

Badgeman
yes, apparently she does take it up the gary and then...........well nuff said......... :D

Well this has really clarified things for me, a lot. I have been tearing my hair out over this for 2 weeks now, since the results. So, it's invaluable stuff, given the 18 yr commitment! Scary stuff and I can't afford to get it wrong.

Glad the cryptic stuff is conspicuous by its absence....truly crap all that biz.

Do you find the work interesting?(ct)......it seems like it can be quite varied. Which is a good thing I suppose, though the idea of being on Sub is not appealing in any way.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
masha35 said:
So, it's invaluable stuff, given the 18 yr commitment! Scary stuff and I can't afford to get it wrong.

Just to clarify:

If you do get it wrong you are free to leave in your first 26 weeks after completing the first 4 weeks.

After that you may submit 12 months notice to quit 2.5 years after completing the Standard Initial Training Period for your chosen trade at any point throughout the 18 years/up to the age of 40 - whichever is longer.