AET vs CT

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by masha35, Oct 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know, to some degree, this has been covered before by one individual, BUT.....

As some will remember/know, I have been accepted for AET(1st choice) and I have since found out I scored high enough to do CT aswell.

I dont want to make this any more boring/long than it has to be but im really a bit confused as to what direction to take(i know i have to decide in the end..but, its 18 yrs)

I have a politics degree and have always been good on current affairs, geo stuff, military etc etc...its kind of like a hobby. But so far it hasnt really turned into anything useful. Thus, a few years back i broke away from the 'social sciences' and tried my hand hand at engineering. I did an HNC and passed ok, but my maths wasnt great and i wasnt that brilliant, even though i liked it. I love my politics etc but have made a very strong effort to shy away from something that in civvie st, was failing me. I wanted to do a more hands on job.

That said, having been offered both posts potentially, im in a quandary! Ive had great help off here but noone knew, including me, that i had also been accepted for CT.

I know noone can answer me exactly, but a word of advice would help. You lot know the demands of eng in the navy and what it takes to make a go of it(exams, acceptance etc), likewise the CT stuff. I have no real idea, beyond the info here, of what i might expect(esp the CT thing). I want to be out fixing planes etc but my upbringing/interests/natural ability/comfortzone lie with intel.........dah dah!! Don't expect answers etc, but a few words of wisdom would be nice.........................thanks

endnote: i feel that i would just about cope with the maths of Eng, but would struggle abit. Im 35 now and the wait for AET is 6 months and CT is much longer. I see that promotion in Ct is approx half the time of AET(unless fastrack...from posts on here)....so the time lost in waiting is made up later , considerably....one hopes. Its a real humdinger!! Cheers again

Andrej

2. Good start - just learn a few dits and you are a CT shoe-in :D :D :D

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a completely unbiased onlooker:

Intellectually, you should opt for the job that both interests you the most & stretches your abilities - otherwise you will become disaffected & wish to leave.

Aircraft Engineering Technician really is a very good job, extremely transferrable... But, whilst it's great in the Caribbean getting a great bronzy as you work, it's a bit different in the Arctic when the snow & sea is blasting you horizontally on a pitching deck at night whilst you're scrabbling around counting your Gucci, tinted chrome spanners.

Comms Tech is, lets say, cerebrally challenging. Ideally suited to those with a good grasp/flair for languages & a good analytical mind. The type of person that enjoys cryptic cross-words with a bias towards working indoors rather than outdoors.

(Whereas, Marine Engineers on the other hand, are generally damn good looking, humourous & cleverer than like what anybody else is :lol: .)

4. And sleeping 20 hours a day and drinking gallooooooooons of tea :D :D

5. Ninja_Stoker

Oh yeah, that too.

There'll be a random CT or two along, about 14:00. They'll add their tuppence when they get up & make a brew. (Remembering not to wash the cup afterwards).

Last year I went to a lecture by a CT all about careers. It lasted 45 minutes & left us fully assured that they couldn't tell us about the job. But at least we now know they couldn't tell us about it. It would've taken me about 42 minutes less to explain the same :wink:

6. Sheesh - early turn to today - they will be gutted :D

7. Yeah, its a strange one really. Both jobs have a lot to offer for me. I spent years on trawlers as a younger lad and i loved being out there doing the more hands on stuff, though as you say, things can get grim on a freeing night. On the other hand Im one of those sad gits that reads and reads all the time about politics, Afghan, Military affairs generally. I dont have any silly ideas that Ill be sneaking around like 007 but I kind of hope it will be interesting work. Analisis work could be very interesting, but very very grim depending on wht it is....sadly noone can really tell me ofcourse...

8. I could, but, weeeeeeell you can guess the rest :D :D

9. Ninja_Stoker

The thing to remember is they are completely different.

If you like the smell of 'Eau de Paraffin,' working predominantly outdoors in a (down) draught, in a physically demanding envirnment, getting your hands dirty, working on hot noisy electro-mechanical stuff on our primary weapons systems with the responsibility of knowing that if the engine stops mid-flight, it gets very messy if you were the last person to have a "tweak".

Likewise if your bladder can take-it & you liked the film U571, mental origami, secret stuff & pretending you know something then possibly CT is the better option. (But don't tell anyone).

10. I suppose it all comes down to my neurosis of maths really. Given that both jobs are appealing in their own ways, I would probably opt for Eng if it were not for my fears of being unable to progress further down the line because of the advanced Eng maths required. Sadly, those fears do exist and despite the longer wait, I keep leaning towards the devil i know, so to speak. Damn it, im spinning around in circles. Then, again having options is not th worst problem you could have.

Ive still got time to decide fully. Medical come monday, that will be fun!!

11. That could apply to both trades!!!

12. Whilst this thread is here, what are the promotion prospects for AET and do many get to become officers later on?

13. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

AET v CT?

Having done both (in excess of 5 years as an AET-killicks taskbook done in no time at all so wasn't slacking) and in excess of 7 years as a CT, I can safely say that you would probably have a more enjoyable career as a CT especially if you've got a degree in politics (like myself).

However, it is your choice. Just remember that the chances of you getting a branch change are minimal and those who have been successful sideways entries have had to wait years to get on course (I'm speaking from experience).

From entering Raleigh to getting your hooks will take (depending on satisfactory progress and completion of task books) about 2 1/2 years as a direct entry CT. I knew plenty of more than capable AETs/AEMs who were still AB's at the 9/10 year point.

Trust me, the maths on AET's course isn't that difficult-in fact, the course is very easy in comparison to what you will have to go through on CT's course where you will be challenged mentally (although most of us are 'challenged' in some way or another :wink: ).

I could tell you more but you're not cleared to know :D

14. Ninja_Stoker

Look!!!

They're doing it again... :wink:

Bit early in the day isn't it?

15. Great reply and thanks....very lucky to have someone on here that is similar in background etc.......

When you say very challenging etc, do you mean in work load or that ,for example, its very very cryptic etc. I know you are constrained from divulging too much etc but......

I mean personally im good at thigs like covering large amounts of text and getting info from it quickly and accurately but im not really a very cryptic type person. I dont think brain teasers are my strongest suite. Im a good writer when i can be bothered, have good historical knowledge, geo politics, military affairs etc etc.....in other words good with hard facts, piecing them together and possibly seeing the bigger or real picture.(id be a very good politcal researcher perhaps)

As for crazy puzzles that invariably start with something like John knows mary but doesnt know mary's sister beth...........blah blah how would john meet mary's sister beth if mary's sister went ......that kind of brain twisting clap trap........

Its hard to call the CT stuff because of its spook like status.......

16. If John met Mary's sister would he dump Mary and shag her, or shag her anyway and keep them both hanging on or would they agree to share John?

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's Thursday - what are you doing on here? Shouldn't you be weekenders..?! 8O :wink:

18. can I pm you quickly Matelot.......just a quick question/additional thing i wanted to add.........

19. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Fire away masha!

I hate cryptic stuff. I remember on the first week of our course, we went out for a curry with some RAF trainee Int Op (A)'s (RAF CT's basically) and two of them were doing stuff like that. They got put back in their boxes by ourselves fairly rapidly! You won't be expected to do stuff like that. An inquisitive mind does help as does the following

Ignoring snide comments about 'why aren't you gone weekenders already?'
    Ignoring 'what are you doing up so early?' comments at 2 in the afternoon.
    Ignoring any other gash comments as they're just jealous.

We're all fcuking divs and make Einstein look as thick as your stereotypical stoker! :D (awaiting income from N_S.....)

BTW, I'd go for Mary's sister instead. She takes it up the Gary Glitter (allegedly).

20. Ninja_Stoker

What, Einstein is divs….

[​IMG]

And you had a fling with Gary?

[​IMG]

As a stoker, one has to concede that there are some rather uncouth lesser trades out there. :wink: