AET Selection Interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by samtheman91, Aug 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I passed my RT last week and I've got my selection interview next week for AET. I'm trying to find as much information on the role of the AET as possible, but so far all I can find is that they do pre and post-flight checks and scheduled maintenance (off the RN website). If anyone could give me some more in depth information it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. You will be taught basic engineering skills to the standard required by the RN at HMS Sultan. This will include working on aircraft (non airworthy) carrying out the type of servicing that you will be doing after training is completed. You will be taught about aircraft documentation and tool control.
    After passing ALL the phases you will be drafted to your first real job.
    However training is not completed. Before you are of any use you will have to qualify for Q.M. & Q.S.
    Q.M is qualified to maintain.
    You will have to learn all about the aircraft type that you will be working on and then pass an examination. Once this is done you are then qualified to maintain that aircraft type. When you change to a different aircraft then you will have to re-qualify.
    Q.S. is Qualified to Sign
    Until you achieve Q.S. status you will be unable to carry out unsupervised inspections, These include D.I. (Daily Inspection) and N.F.C. (night flying conditional) These may have changed since I served.
    The Q.S. qualification lasts for the whole of your RN time.
    Aircraft work is always supervised (except for DI & NFC type inspections) so whenever you work o your aircraft you will have a supervisor, this used to be a senior rate but I believe that in the modern FAA leading Hands can now qualify for Fully Supervisory status.
    This sounds like a lot of work and it is, however it's worth it!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you so much, that is exactly the sort of information I was after!
  4. With all due respect Sam, can I ask why you have applied for a job that you know nothing about? Would it not have been wise to ask these questions before applying?
  5. This is not a job I know nothing about. I'm looking for information that is simply not available unless you ask these sort of questions. Did i sound disappointed by the information I was given? No. Does the RN reveal all of this information to the general public and prospective applicants? No. So with all due respect, I suggest you ask more relevant questions before jumping to conclusions in the future.
  6. I apologise. It may have come across in the wrong way but in no way did I mean to cause any offence.
  7. Hello smartarse
    I joined the RN in 1963 expecting to be a greenie (eventually).
    During the 6 week training at Raleigh the class were informed that 6 of us were required to go Fleet Air Arm. I for one didn't even know what the fleet air arm was but volunteered rather than come out of the hat.
    I went to Ariel as it was then and found that I would be an electrician working on aircraft, during the 14 week training we were streamed and several of us were selected to become Radio Mechanics, well I knew how to tune me trannie to the pop stations.
    So I started knowing sweet FA about the job I was to be doing. Twenty two years later I left as a PO. Did I go into civilian aviation? No I joined BAe as a Naval weapons engineer working on such systems as SINs , Phalanx and Sea Archer.
    As Wafus we can do anything, we are well trained and this training is very transferable between disciplines. I ended up as a Field engineer in the tobacco industry installing, maintaining and upgrading PLC controlled equipment.
    So leave the young thruster alone, I'm sure that he will enjoy his choice of occupation.

Just notice that you are going to become an occifer Booner, well you have certainly passed or even pissed the arrogance test:pottytrain5:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. An officer in the FAA at that. Maybe one day I can give him s**t face to face. However for the moment I am not to proud to admit that I was wrong. Good luck Sam, hope it all goes well for you.
  9. Too*

Good luck with your app OP
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

How many of Slim's 'ossifers are chinless arrogant twats' and 'look at me- haven't I done well since leaving the navy just as Prince Philip was joining ' does this site need?
  11. Seadog
    The majority of the occifers I served with were very good. However in the 60s most of the occifers came from the upper classes and if they were not arrogant when they joined Dartmouth soon instilled it.
    The new RN seems to have far more occifers from what most of us on the lower deck would call normal backgrounds, aqnd seems to be a much better place for it.
    As for haven't I done well since leaving the RN, well yes, but I give the RN all the credit for this fact, both for the excellent training I received and the life skills.
  12. Fair question. But when I joined as a NAM, (old money AET), I didn't have a scubbie about aircraft maintenance. Always wanted to work on aircraft so why not go where your aspirations lead you.

Good luck Sam, AET is a grand trade.
    • Like Like x 1