AET Recruiting question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Red_monkey, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son is looking for a career in the military and having served i the Army myself i have discouraged him from doing this as i feel he would have more to show for what i hope will be a long career.

My question is that the website shows the NO formal qualifications are needed fo an AET. Is this correct as for the same trade in the REME they require GCSE's in maths and english. My son unfortunately has only a grade D in english but all his other grades are fine. His low grade in english was due to his dyslexia which was detected late in his school career but he has now overcome this whilst at college.

I think i have finally turned him off the idea of the army which was a job in itself as he has been in the Army Cadet Force for the last 5 years.

Any help and advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

You did a good thing in my opinion, I have just had a similar battle with my son! No GCSE's are required to become an AET, however it requires th highest pass in the recruiting test which is broadly equivelant to GCSE grade C. Now is a good time to join as an AET opportunities for promotion are better than ever and even a reasonably competent lad can get to PO in about 8 years! this is due to a "black hole" in recruiting and big retention problems at the Leading Hand level. A very keen and intelligent lad could achieve PO in 6-7 years on the fast track scheme.

Most of those who fail to attain the required level in the RT do so in the Maths part of the tests.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have a quick read through "Just a quickie" in this section-I think all your questions are answered. Good Luck to your son.

4. I had 22 years in the Fleet Air Arm. In my day there were no AETs just Artificers (Mechanicians) and mechanics. The mechanics did not require the same educational qualifications as an artificer but had the opportunity later to gain the required qualifications and then qualify after a two year course as a mechanician.
    The playing field now seems to have been levelled with all new entrants starting as AETs and not even being required to choose their trade at this stage. This has both good points and bad points, if an AET is unable to reach the required standard it seems that his career ladder will finish as a leading hand.
    Having worked with the Army on a joint services unit at Boscombe Down I believe that the REME probably offers a better training for technicians than the RN. However as I have been out of the loop for 22 years things may well have changed.