AET promotion

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by davemac32, Feb 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello people as ive said on a few earlier post im 32 and hoping to join up as AET i recently passed my RT with a high enough score to do so,a few people on here have said at my age i should be looking to get promoted as quickly as possible.can anyone tell me what the chances of quick promotion in AET are and what is best case senario time wise to make say PO

Cheers

2. If you make Petty Officer b4 your 40, you'lll be lucky. I retired at 40 !

3. im a late starter,iv heard life begins at 40!!!

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Having recently (November 08) attended a briefing given by the AET phase two training team, it is indeed entirely feasibly to reach Petty Officer within 8 years nowadays - if you apply yourself. Equally if you sit on your arse complaining, you can complete 18 years as an AET if you wish.

Since the demise of Artificers/Mechanics & the introduction of technicians relatively rapid promotion is achievable in the technical trades.

5. thanks,no complaining from me thats out of my system now :lol: :D :lol: :D

6. On my last ship, I had a Killick who was in his early 40's...poor bugger couldnt keep up with the young guns and he left the mob!

7. I left the RN at 40 after 22 years.
    My last sea going draft was a small ships Lynx Flight.
    No way after that would I have signed on, the flight was a great flight with great blokes, however small ships flights are a young mans job. :p

8. Hells teeth guys, 40 is no age. Your only as young as you feel. Others may add what they will there!!!!!

Just because we retired at 40 - naval life complete, doesn't mean others won't/can't hack it. If you were doing a job outside the mob you'd be expected to stand side by side with young-uns' whatever the age.

Don't be so ageist. Get on your Xbox and live a little!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Haha thats the spirit !! :D

I agree with the term you are only as young as you feel! :)

Heck' the joining age limit should be 60!! lol.. or is that pushing it :)?

Yeah im going into AET too, hope promotion is fast. Get your head down, best you can do i guess.

10. I was more thinking along the lines of 'who you feel'!

11. I’m not denying that it can’t be done, but that must be the exception not the rule? I assume that collective AET, LET and POET training adds up to somewhere in the region of 3 years, leaving 5 years whilst not UT to prove yourself at two ranks?

I must confess that as an ex submariner, I know very little of the AE world.

:)

12. Yeah , i was speaking to one of the AFCO recruiters quite a bit a go, and by that i mean 5 months or so. They said you could reach PO within 3 years. I thought they were bluffing. I guess 8 years sounds more realistic.

13. That would be steaming as they say to make PO in 3 years. :roll:

14. In the old days when we had Tiffy Apps I knew several who made PO (well REA(A) 2) before they were 21. However they had joined at 15 or 16.
    I went from REM(A) to POREL(A) in just under seven years which was fairly typical n those days with a dry roster to LREM(A) and an intermediate (not enough qualified for promotion for the requirements in the following nine months) roster for POREL(A).
    These days I think the recruiters are being optimistic with their eight year quote.

15. We have lads that have done it in 6, if you dig out, you'll get promoted. The days of good eggs being perpetually passed over are thankfully long gone. If you're capable, you'll be rewarded.

Edited for typing like a spacker with hooves.

16. cheers for the advice.I know some people think im too old at 32 but after years in jobs i hate i feel im ready now to have a career doing something i'll hopefully love and ready to get my head down and make the best of that career

17. I wouldn't say you're too old, in some respects it will be more a benefit than a hindrance, I wouldn't do it but then I've got a few years under my belt to get sick of a JR's messdeck. At your age, whether you act it or not people will naturally look to you for leadership and you will find yourself placed in positions of responsibility early, that will benefit your promotion goals so embrace it. Above all though, enjoy it. :wink:

18. cheers its good to hear that from someone currently serving because after a few peoples replys on here a few doubts were begining to creep in,