AET promotion to AEO?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Helios, Jul 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've finally completed all the stages required for applying to the royal navy and now all I'm waiting for is my start date.

When I first applied several months ago, in my dumb naivety I imagined one could join as an AET and work his way up to AEO however the more I look at this the less and less it looks likely or even possible.

Does it happen? What would I have to do to make it happen? I'll be twenty years old when I join up. If the promotion from AET to AEO is possible at what age will I likely see it happening?

My ambition is to make a lifelong career out of the RN and whilst I'm there to reach for the highest position I can get.
  2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

It is possible to go from AET to AEO although as you say very slow. There are suggestions that LAET's may be picked up on LAET's course if they are exceptional below the age of 26, then AIB then Southampton University for BEng. This on the basis that the artificer selection route is gone, I haven't seen this in writing though, just rumour! The Senior Upper Yardy route is still open at PO level above 26 I believe.
  3. What's an LAET? An AET who's served for a long number of years?

I'm sure I should save all these questions for when I begin training but that's a long way from now and if I don't get them out they just swim around in my head over and over...
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Leading Aircraft Engineering Technician, a Leading Hand. If all goes well and you are recommended for promotion expect to be selected for LAET course about 4-5 years after joining, no guarantees though! and it would be quicker if you were fast tracked from Sultan.