AET or WS Career advice needed.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kebmo, Oct 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a phase 1 trainee at the moment, with ambitions to become an Officer, I'm currenty in the WS branch but during my DTO interview the Chief suggested that I change branches to AET because of my RT score and a few other factors. I'm now close to passing out and having spoken to a lot of Navy personel, the FAA has been highly reccomended. My DO said he would be happy to apply for a branch transfer, but that it would be much less likely that I could become an Officer, in particular my age (26) would be a big disadvantage down this route. If I wanted to become a warfare officer would the AET route be a big mistake? Is it possible to become an Engineering officer after serving for several years as an AET? Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Yes
  3. I'll second what Drakey's said.

If you're officer material you'll stand out like a shining star of reason among a horde of dribbling mongs as a dabber, as an AET you'll be surrounded by lots of equally smart people and might struggle to be noticed.

Though, if you're unsuccessful with your officer aspirations you'll wish you'd become an AET instead.