AET or Hyrographic, Meteorological and Oceanographic?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Samwise, Feb 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I'm kinda new here so I hope this is the right place for this thread.

I've had my heart set on joining up as an AET for about a year now, but recently I've been looking into the Hydrographic, Meteorological and Oceanographic branch jobs. I've passed my RT already, and have my interview in a few days time.

I guess what I'd like to know is..

Which will I get more job satisfaction from?
    Does anyone have any experience in either branch or any recommendations?
    What are the promotion prospects like in each branch?
    Will I go to sea less as an AET?

I've always loved Geography right through school so that's why I've taken an interest in it now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)
  2. Only you can answer which one you'll get more satisfaction from. Also, it's extremely unlikely that anyone will pop up who's been both an AET and an SR/W(HM)/whatever they're called this week. Therefore, no one can say which is the best.

If you wanted to work with aeroplanes then clearly AET is for you. You might not spend as much time at sea as you would as an HM (unless you go small ships' flight) but then again the work you did would be a bit more "warry."

If, on the other hand, you fancy sciency stuff, with some good hands on experience (although my sources tell me independent boat parties are much more infrequent now), then give HM a look. I don't know what the wait time is for AET but it's usually pretty long for HM. Bear in mind that iot is virtually impossible to recat branch when you are in, so make sure you think long and hard about what you want to do.

For the record, I was a warfare officer, but spent time in both carriers and survey ships so saw a bit of what went on in both branches. Beware the zealots who pop up saying their branch is best, and think about what it was that first attracted you to the AET world, and if that is stronger than what is (now) drawing you another way.

No easy answers I'm afraid....
  3. although it occurs to me that you might gat an AEM/AEA that became an LA(METOC), because I've known at least 2....
  4. Something that might make a difference is the waiting time to get in

AET = Approx 13 Months

WS (HM) = Approx 36 Months

5. sm is it still a 24 month wait for ws?
  6. Kinross thankyou for taking the time to reply in that detail. I think I will end up sticking with AET, it's what I've wanted to do for a long time now. That, coupled with a 36 month wait for WS (HM) means it's probably makes sense to stick with it. Guess i'll just have to put up with not going away to sea as much!

Thanks for the advice everyone...
  7. Yes WS is still 24 months form RT to entry.

8. cheers bud
  9. A couple of very basic questions you need to ask your self 'samwise' is, do you like fixing things that are broken? Or, have you a particular bent towards the weather both above and below the surface?

As someone else said, it's really your decision and yours alone.
  10. AETs actually fix things?! That's news to me shipmate... :wink:
  11. More time off than skippers 8's, lazy fcukers!

(My twin is one, but we don't talk about him...)