AET or air engineer officer?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by caldee22, Oct 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I applied to become an AET sometime last year and passed all of my tests. However, two months before my waiting list time was up I broke my arm and had plates put in. So the recruitment office in Bournemouth said I had to wait a year after my surgery to re-apply. In this year I have relocated to Glasgow and I'm currently doing a HNC in aircraft engineering when the recruiter at Glasgow informed me that I might be eligible for a technical bursary which entitles that I would go to uni before joining as an officer. Sorry for the essay...

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. If you can get a bursary from pusser to help get an engineering degree and join as an hoccifer then go for it.
    Could be that you actually had a very lucky break=-)=-)=-)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thanks for the advice, ahaha yeh well things happen for a reason! :L

4. Caldee

Which qualifications do you have already?

How old are you?

When does your HNC finish?

5. I have 8 GCSE's A* C and I'm 17 next month. However I didn't get the chance to do my A levels so when I told the office that I was doing the HNC which I think finishes in June, he said they might be able to work with that.

6. Caldee

Just as a matter of interest, will your HNC allow you to be considered for entry to an accredited Engineering degree at the institution at which you are currently a student or will you have to apply elsewhere via UCAS?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  7. Yes, the college offer a degree program in which you do a HNC then a HND then you move on to your third year of a degree at the uni of west Scotland. But if you get an A in the HNC some uni's will take you at second year of the degree or the better of the uni's will allow you into the first year of one.

8. Knowing what you know about AET and AEO, which appeals to you more?

9. Well it's a close call. I'm not sure wether I would like to join as an AET and work my way up while seeing the world/getting payed, or go to uni and enjoy that before joining? Overall I think I could do with some more time before joining. Are you currently serving?

10. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

If you have the qualifications to join as AEO you will be wasting them if you join as an AET. AEO would mean mostly office work and not getting your hands dirty.
    I see lots of AETs trying to work up to AEO , none from AEO to aet. Don't rush the decision and take time to look at the officer side of things in the AFCO.
    Good luck

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

11. Neither. It's all crap at the minute.

12. That's great, thanks for the help.

13. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A little tip - if you wish to bemoan your lot, start your own thread - or at least quantify the relevance of your opinion in the context of the thread.

To the OP: You need to categorically verify, via a careers adviser at your AFCO, whether an HNC will be accepted in lieu of the UCAS requirement for entry as an Officer or to apply for a bursary, I suspect it may not, so get it checked kosher from a qualified source (not a college).

Best of luck.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  15. Ah another classic from Zoidberg, the man who knew it all before joining and still seems to know it all, sweet fck All.
    The RN offers so many opportunities, however they are not presented on a plate, you have to do a little research. The rewards are great, courses that will advance your career either in the RN or when you leave help in your new civie life.
    Have you utilised your training allowance Zoidberg?

• Like Like x 3
  16. Thanks for the advice people. Unfortunately the HNC I'm doing only offers 120 UCAS points, instead of the 180 I needed. So in that case, I think it's a smarter idea to join straight as an AET as I am able to work my way up. Thanks agin for the advice.

17. I did an HNC whilst serving (distance learning) so there are opportunities.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Exactly, I'm sure there are many but from what I've heard you have to go looking for them

19. There are enhanced and standard learning credits. If you can find the time and the effort it's more or less upto you.

20. Like JFH, I did an HNC when I was inboard (day release at Plymouth College of Further Education), the mob paid for it, it just had to be related to your job and counted as a duty so you had to attend. I know many who have done OU degrees whilst serving.