AET options

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Nah! It was done for family. I never really talked about it when I was in. So I thought before I get too old to write it all down.
Doesn't make for polite after dinner chit chat. "And what did you do today dear?'
Oh, I sat on my arse in the back of a helicopter searching for dead bodies. And even I can understand my wife not wanting to know how many grease nipples there are on a Wessex main rotor head!!!! Bad enough her moaning about putting manky overalls in her precious washing machine!!!! lol
Yeah I see what you mean :D .possibly aspects of the job that the ads don’t show and your average joe would find hard to palette perhaps:(

Waspie

War Hero
Yeah I see what you mean , possibly aspects of the job that the ads don’t show and your average joe would find hard to palette perhaps
I did recall one of my exploits regards a traumatic amputation I attended to the Chideock WI when I was employed by the Brit Red Cross, post RN. One of the dear ladies fainted and I had to administer first aid on her. I chuckle now but it brought it home that there are many delicate little petals out there!!! And as you say, not to everyones palette. But its the nature of service life. As many more will tell you and in due course you will discover.
Edited to add the piccy. (Me lifting the skipper who lost his lower arm off the coast of Eire - he was transferred to Londonderry hospital NI. (Nearest trauma unit).3723537235

Last edited:

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Yeah and it’s only getting worse I feel in regards to people being “snowflakes” everyone is so used to there bubble safe little worlds that when something serious happens no one can deal with it .Iwould say great photo , but perhaps that would be in bad taste given the situation , although it must atleast be satisfying to know you helped saved a life even if the poor skipper did loose part of his arm .... how did it happen ?

Waspie

War Hero
Yeah and it’s only getting worse I feel in regards to people being “snowflakes” everyone is so used to there bubble safe little worlds that when something serious happens no one can deal with it .Iwould say great photo , but perhaps that would be in bad taste given the situation , although it must atleast be satisfying to know you helped saved a life even if the poor skipper did loose part of his arm .... how did it happen ?
It was a long time ago now. I believe it was removed when a warp wire snapped. The unravelling wire sliced straight through his arm including the bone. Very little for me do in reality. The crew had staunched the flow and I wasn't going to undo it all and have it start bleeding again. We had minimal time over the deck as we were at maximum range and that even after getting in flight diplomatic clearance to transit Eire on the way out.
The picture was taken by Chris North. A Leading Photographer who was at HMS Gannet with me. He's out now but he won quiet a prestigious award when he took a photo of dolphins leaping out of the water in from of one of her majesties black tubes off Gibraltar. Made the front page of the Telegraph!!! He was a bit of a character too!!!
As for snowflakes!! Hey ho! The world is what it is!!!

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
I bet that was a rather violent series of events in those seconds of the wire snapping . They say a picture says a thousand words ! He must of been a talented photographer and being in the right place for an event to unfold must be half of the battle of getting a good shot as it were

Last edited:

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Wessex
Seaking (2 Marks)
Canberra (4 Marks)
Sea Harrier (2 marks)
Plastic Crab Harrier (2 Marks)

Answer is yes :)
Excellent, look forward to it! Haha plastic crab harrier, I’ll tell my dad that (ex crab sootie).Take it that’s the gr 3 you are referring to? Christ canberra ?! How old are they ? And I thought my dad was on oldie as he started on hunters down at brawdy as a liney in the late 70’s I think .

Excellent look forward to it! Haha plastic crab harrier, I’ll tell my dad that (ex crab sootie).Take it that’s the gr 3 you are referring to? Christ canberra ?! How old are they ? And I thought my dad was on oldie as he started on hunters down at brawdy as a liney in the late 70’s I think .
GR9 & GR9A (03 - 08)

Canberras (90- 94)

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
As late as that, allways thought of those as oldies
Edit think he started on hawks in 1977

Last edited:

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
@Joint_Force_Harrier
You old bugger unless you are counting the Wessex in Dunning hangar at Daedalus.
If so I can count
Wessex Mk5
Seaking Has Mk2
Seaking Aew Mk2
Seaking HC Mk4
Seaking Mk5 (pinger & SAR)
Seaking Mk6 (pinger, utility and commando)
Seaking ASaC Mk7
Merlin 3 & 3a

I must be one of the few of the old WL trade who has never loaded a weapon outside of training courses.
Although I had FOST where the Squadron was tasked to meet the fleet target time to load a Stingray torpedo onto a SAR cab.

@Joint_Force_Harrier
You old bugger unless you are counting the Wessex in Dunning hangar at Daedalus.
If so I can count
Wessex Mk5
Seaking Has Mk2
Seaking Aew Mk2
Seaking HC Mk4
Seaking Mk5 (pinger & SAR)
Seaking Mk6 (pinger, utility and commando)
Seaking ASaC Mk7
Merlin 3 & 3a

I must be one of the few of the old WL trade who has never loaded a weapon outside of training courses.
Although I had FOST where the Squadron was tasked to meet the fleet target time to load a Stingray torpedo onto a SAR cab.
No, I worked on 771 when the switched from Wessex to Seaking

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
JFH.
That is just a little before my time. ( only 2 yrs through)
You probably know the name Jo M*l. A name you had forotten I bet. She was a P.O. greenie and may of been around as you were down at CU.

JFH.
That is just a little before my time. ( only 2 yrs through)
You probably know the name Jo M*l. A name you had forotten I bet. She was a P.O. greenie and may of been around as you were down at CU.
Probably, however I did spend 90% of my wages in the Lady Street Club :) so CU was mostly a mixture of P*ssed and Hangovers .

Did a small amount of time on 849 HQ so there's another Mark of Seaking to go with the Mk 5.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Waspie Joining the Royal Navy 3
C Joining the Royal Navy 37
C The Fleet Air Arm 2