AET/Officer

Hello everyone.

Allow me to give a brief introduction of who I am and what I'm interested in. I'm 23 years old with a brother in the forces. I'm now seriously considering a career in the Royal Navy.

I'd like to apply for the role of Air Engineering Technician, but I have a few questions.

- How long is basic training?
- How much of an input will I have after training? (e.g. Straight to AET training)
- Would most if not all training transfer to commercial Airports, aka Civvy street?

Something else I saw on the MOD site was that you have to have a minimum of 180 UCAS points to apply for the role of Officer.
Now, I've done plenty of courses and an Apprenticeship scheme as a teen, and have amassed many certificates and such, however I'm not sure if the Navy will accept the equivalent of my NVQs and B-TECs. Using other UCAS calculators online, I've discovered I have exactly 80 UCAS points. I've read that there are ways to boost your score with schemes such as community service and charity work, playing musical instruments at a high level, separate courses focusing on skills and even horse-riding. (Not sure about the last one)!

I'd like to know if it's worth pursuing these methods to boost my UCAS, if anyone here has had experience in this.
Finally, I don't know if this is relevant information, but I've been self learning German for two plus years and improving rapidly, although I have no written qualification to prove it. Ultimately, my goal would be to use my skills, after my Navy days are up, at a Swiss Airport.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope to hear back from you.

- How long is basic training?
You have looked at the Royal Navy website, right? It took me 2 clicks from the home page to find out that phase 1 for officers is 30 weeks.

I see you haven't mentioned a degree either; on the website, it says an Air Engineer Officer requires an accredited BEng or a MEng. Maybe there's another way in, but probably not as direct entry.

You should be fine for Air Engineering Technician, though that's a rating job (2 clicks tells me phase 1 for ratings lasts 10 weeks).

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
You have looked at the Royal Navy website, right? It took me 2 clicks from the home page to find out that phase 1 for officers is 30 weeks.

I see you haven't mentioned a degree either; on the website, it says an Air Engineer Officer requires an accredited BEng or a MEng. Maybe there's another way in, but probably not as direct entry.

You should be fine for Air Engineering Technician, though that's a rating job (2 clicks tells me phase 1 for ratings lasts 10 weeks).
Are you already an Officer ? If not you will make a great one as you are already a Grade A morale stealing condescending prick.

What if you have a criminal conviction for an affray and applying to RFA? Please help
I think if it's been a certain amount of time since you got it you should be fine. Ninja_Stoker can provide more details, I can't find the relevant documents - or at least, the relevant information in them.

Thanks Admiral. It's been 2 years on a night out. Am not a criminal or menace to society. I have hnc qualification and worked in construction industry as a site engineer and would like a career change. However this has been bugging me which I know I have to declare but how much will they take that into consideration though.

Thanks Admiral. It's been 2 years on a night out. Am not a criminal or menace to society. I have hnc qualification and worked in construction industry as a site engineer and would like a career change. However this has been bugging me which I know I have to declare but how much will they take that into consideration though.
Definitely wait for Ninja to confirm - I don't have any real knowledge in this.

Good luck.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
WannabeAdmiral whilst appreciating your wish to help it might be better to allow those that do know what they are talking about give advice.