Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone.

Allow me to give a brief introduction of who I am and what I'm interested in. I'm 23 years old with a brother in the forces. I'm now seriously considering a career in the Royal Navy.

I'd like to apply for the role of Air Engineering Technician, but I have a few questions.

- How long is basic training?
- How much of an input will I have after training? (e.g. Straight to AET training)
- Would most if not all training transfer to commercial Airports, aka Civvy street?

Something else I saw on the MOD site was that you have to have a minimum of 180 UCAS points to apply for the role of Officer.
Now, I've done plenty of courses and an Apprenticeship scheme as a teen, and have amassed many certificates and such, however I'm not sure if the Navy will accept the equivalent of my NVQs and B-TECs. Using other UCAS calculators online, I've discovered I have exactly 80 UCAS points. I've read that there are ways to boost your score with schemes such as community service and charity work, playing musical instruments at a high level, separate courses focusing on skills and even horse-riding. (Not sure about the last one)!

I'd like to know if it's worth pursuing these methods to boost my UCAS, if anyone here has had experience in this.
Finally, I don't know if this is relevant information, but I've been self learning German for two plus years and improving rapidly, although I have no written qualification to prove it. Ultimately, my goal would be to use my skills, after my Navy days are up, at a Swiss Airport.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope to hear back from you.

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
- How long is basic training?

You have looked at the Royal Navy website, right? It took me 2 clicks from the home page to find out that phase 1 for officers is 30 weeks.

I see you haven't mentioned a degree either; on the website, it says an Air Engineer Officer requires an accredited BEng or a MEng. Maybe there's another way in, but probably not as direct entry.

You should be fine for Air Engineering Technician, though that's a rating job (2 clicks tells me phase 1 for ratings lasts 10 weeks).

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
You have looked at the Royal Navy website, right? It took me 2 clicks from the home page to find out that phase 1 for officers is 30 weeks.

I see you haven't mentioned a degree either; on the website, it says an Air Engineer Officer requires an accredited BEng or a MEng. Maybe there's another way in, but probably not as direct entry.

You should be fine for Air Engineering Technician, though that's a rating job (2 clicks tells me phase 1 for ratings lasts 10 weeks).
Are you already an Officer ? If not you will make a great one as you are already a Grade A morale stealing condescending prick.

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
What if you have a criminal conviction for an affray and applying to RFA? Please help

I think if it's been a certain amount of time since you got it you should be fine. Ninja_Stoker can provide more details, I can't find the relevant documents - or at least, the relevant information in them.

A.M90

Midshipman
Thanks Admiral. It's been 2 years on a night out. Am not a criminal or menace to society. I have hnc qualification and worked in construction industry as a site engineer and would like a career change. However this has been bugging me which I know I have to declare but how much will they take that into consideration though.

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
Thanks Admiral. It's been 2 years on a night out. Am not a criminal or menace to society. I have hnc qualification and worked in construction industry as a site engineer and would like a career change. However this has been bugging me which I know I have to declare but how much will they take that into consideration though.

Definitely wait for Ninja to confirm - I don't have any real knowledge in this.

Good luck.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
WannabeAdmiral whilst appreciating your wish to help it might be better to allow those that do know what they are talking about give advice.

A.M90

Midshipman
Thanks anyway. Am new to this, can the Real Ninja please stand up lol.

But seriously though please message

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C AET or air engineer officer? The Fleet Air Arm 38
B what should i do? AET or Officer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35
0 What workshop type skills do AET's learn? Joining the Royal Navy 54
D asthma for AET Joining the Royal Navy 8
H AET waiting time 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 5
K How can my son become an F35B AET? The Fleet Air Arm 71
J Eye sight test - AET Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
Waspie Potential AET's - your future!! Joining the Royal Navy 3
C AET or WE Joining the Royal Navy 37
C Joining as AET - Career Options The Fleet Air Arm 2
C Selection Interview for AET Joining the Royal Navy 15
Maxpowers AET options The Fleet Air Arm 47
G AET Maths Joining the Royal Navy 15
T Originally Joining as a WTE but transferred to AET, now i am worried i made the wrong decision. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
K I’ve just past my aptitude test and interview for the RN AET Joining the Royal Navy 5
T AET daily work pattern? The Fleet Air Arm 4
B Sideways entry from AET to Aircrewman The Fleet Air Arm 14
M AET experiences The Fleet Air Arm 5
B Aet phase 2 questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Deepfried AET trades on 847 The Fleet Air Arm 14
Maxpowers Waiting times for AET? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
P AET Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
T AET Phase 2 Training and Day to Day life Joining the Royal Navy 44
Maxpowers AET What aspects of math should I practice? The Fleet Air Arm 52
L HMS Sultan AET Training/ Leading Hand Fast Track Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
J AET - Whats it like Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L Royal Navy AET 2017 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Maxpowers AET Winchman? The Fleet Air Arm 27
Maxpowers AET Waiting times Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 52
L AET's Joining the Royal Navy 10
P AET - few questions. Joining the Royal Navy 15
Mr_Gillette Can you trust an AET? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
shinson Update.....AET Joining the Royal Navy 15
shinson Interview AET Thursday Joining the Royal Navy 4
S AET future career prospects Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Hanzzimmer Further education in the RN (AET) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Rubberised duck Demand for Aet plus medical Joining the Royal Navy 24
F AET Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
TairyHesticles AET - what to expect? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Phase 2-Aet Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Yetiboy48 AET to marine? The Fleet Air Arm 7
M AET - Difference in RAF / Navy waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
P AET Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Yetiboy48 AET waiting times The Fleet Air Arm 14
S AET interview The Fleet Air Arm 6
M AET deployment The Fleet Air Arm 9
TairyHesticles AET - Onboard The Fleet Air Arm 5
S AET Age Change The Fleet Air Arm 4
D AET - Average time before being deployed on a ship The Fleet Air Arm 3