AET Locations

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by ShinyMan, May 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having recently applied for the RN as an AET i'm interested to find out whether postings are limited to Naval Bases within the UK and carriers, frigates etc or if they are posted to RAF bases or Naval Air Bases when out on operations in Iraq/Afghanistan.
  2. I think you have answered your own question!
  3. Once you have done your training at Raleigh and Sultan you will be drafted to one of three areas, RNAS Culdrose for Merlin or Seaking (deploy to small ships or carriers). RNAS Yeovilton for Lynx or Seaking (deploy to small ships-navy lynx, or Afghan-Army lynx and seaking). Or RAF Wittering and RAF Cottesmore for the Harrier( deploy to Afghan or carriers). Once you have finished your phase 2B training(part 4) it is most likely that you will do a front line on that aircraft type, although it is possible at this point, once qualified, that you could go on to a carrier in AED.
    There are no specific foreign drafts for AET's, although you can apply for any general AB drafts. Be mindfull that in the not to distant future AET's of both trades and all ranks will be required to form an OEU (operational evaluation unit) in the states to bring the JSF into service. Obviously these people will predominately come from the fixed wing community for obvious reasons.
    I hope this helps
  4. Sorry to hijack, just curious as I'm in the selection process for AET :roll:

Could you tell me what AED stands for please?
  5. Suggest Air Engineering Department - AED.
  6. My Home on Hms Victorious for 2 yrs :D :D
  7. AED is about as close to the "real" Navy as a WAFU will get. A draft to an AED is a bit like Marmite - some people like it, some people hate it. You do ships' routines and duties and you are there very much to support the embarked Squadrons, in mechanical or electrical workshops, servicing ground equipment, flight deck tractors, towing arms etc - not actually working on the aircraft themselves.

You will stay with the ship for the entire length of your draft (assignment), whereas the Squadrons will go back to their parent unit bases when the ship is not deployed. The advantage you have is that AED will be fully intergrated with the ships' company - the Squadron personnel sometimes take a while to "bed-in" and occasionally there is a bit of banter between AED and "the Squaddies" as they're called.

A disadvantage is that you do all your training on aircraft and then you sent away to join a ships AED for 3 years and might never touch an aircraft in all this time. In the meantime your oppo's who you went through training with are getting valuable experience on the aircraft and working towards their promotion to Leading Hand.

Never fancied AED myself, and in 20 years I've managed to avoid it.
  8. snrsid, could you please enliten me a bit more about OEU? and general life on fixed wing squadron, no one at sultan is prepared to talk about harriers and i have to put my draft preferences in this week!
  9. OEU is the new okay phrase for Operational Evaluation Unit, we had loads of them years ago, when they were called IFTU, Intensive Flying Trials Units, bit easier to understand :wink: three spring to mind 700/Z 700B 700Y, in those days. Think the new Lynx Wildcat squadron is 700W/ OEU. Would think working on a Harrier, is like working on any other FAA aircraft and rotary wing squadron/flight. You moan a lot about working on them, but you are fiercely proud of your A/C your Squadron and mates :wink: :wink:
  10. What are the promotion prospects for AETs in the RN?