AET Job Description

da_man353

hi schoolboy,

going in march 07, im off to raleigh next week, 11th feb then if all goes well to sultan to do my professional training.

Maybe see you there. good luck with everything mate

jancox

Badgeman
Have you thought of a career with a Civil Aerospace Company? You'll get plenty of hands on work and you won't have to clean toilets or have someone shine a torch in your eyes at daft oclock in the morning and say "Sorry mate wrong bunk"...

LXAEO

Schoolboy,

Having just finished my first complement job as a junior AEO in the Lynx circuit, I'd have to say that most of the pinky/greeny fault diagnosis that goes on ashore consists of rolling the infamous chicken bones and/or seeing what is available through stores!

But seriously, the Forward/Depth concept is that user units should diagnose which Line Replacement Unit (LRU) the fault lies in and simply return the duff one through stores. The black art lies in deciding which box to choose, something which stems from good systems engineering knowledge rather than circuit board / component level knowledge. Your knowledge of computer systems etc would doubtless prove useful in the more "modern" Merlin and SK7 fleet though...

As far as CW goes, there is an age cut-off for UY, which you might be hard pushed to make. SUY is the next option and would see you going to Portsmouth uni for one yr only to top off your degree (see previous posts) but you need to tick various boxes to be eligible, including (i think) 2 yrs seniority as a PO, so even allowing for fast-track status, it could be 7 or 8 yrs before you are eligible and even then there are only about 6 - 8 per year selected as SUY(AE). On the bright side, imagine going back to uni for a yr paid as a PO/CPO!

My gut feeling would be that you might be best trying to wangle something about getting your BSc topped up as a civvy before applying to join as an AEO. Miles less work and you still get to tinker with cars in your spare time, without some grumpy person shouting at you to hurry up (although my better half fulfils this role too).

Hope there's some useful bits in amongst the drivel.

Latest Threads