AET Electrical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Harris921, Mar 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, I have a few questions about AET fairy/avionics. I understand its a mixture of engine electrics and instrument electronics? I imagine the engine side is alot of wring tests, checking power upto the component, checking the resistance of the componenet, checking for continuity beteween the ECU and the component(cold start sensor, TDC sensor, MAP sensor???)via a wiring diagram? Am I on the right lines here?

Cockpit instruments I would imagine is more the electronics side of the trade? Stripping down various electronic instruments and repairing circuit boards? Replacing capacitors, resistors and other components??????

I would appreciate any input on this from avionics techs and ex avionics techs.

Thanks guys,

regards Harris921.

2. not sure what happens today, but im sure some Airey Fairey will come along and answer your question. But many moons ago :wink: You had 1st line servicing and 2nd line sevicing. 1LS was for a quick fix and turnround to keep the a/c serviceable ,often refered to "out /in blackbox" test and sign off, the 2LS was the workshop were the repair was carried out, of the blackbox!!! ETC

3. It's mainly about changing black boxes these days matey.

Most of the insruments and computers etc go back to manufacturer these days, as the front line greenies just don't have the time or the resources to fix them.

As we operate mainly aged aircraft these days though, you'll see your fair share of wiring snags though, but your supervisors will be dealing with that. As an AET (AE), you'll basically be working as a mechanic until you're promoted to Leading Hand. It's a numbers game, you have a limited number of personnel and most of the work required is mechanical.