AET - Difference in RAF / Navy waiting time

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MrF, Oct 28, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MrF

MrF Midshipman

Was delighted and relieved when I finally got my dates a couple of days ago. The past 6 months have dragged by and I still have another 8 months 'till Raleigh.
    Contrast this with my mates experience who, this month, decided to join the RAF as an AET. He rang his AFCO last Monday, sat and passed his RT today, and was given an appointment mid next month for his medical, FT and interview. He's been told he'll be in within 4 months at the outside...

2. Perhaps but he will have to wear that crap uniform:eek:

3. And, he'll be a crab.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you consider the RAF to be a better career option, join them. You are not obligated to join the RN as an AET.

All I'd venture is that over the last twelve years in recruiting I've transferred dozens of former RAF technicians into the RN as AETs and zero the other way around. Go figure.

5. MrF

MrF Midshipman

Actually Ninja I've no doubt that my decision to join the RN was the right one. Just wish I could get on with it.

6. I looked at the RAF myself (before coming to my senses Ninj'). The job title's the same and for all I know the role might be too. But there's something one dimensional about the RAF and there's a bit more scope for development in the FAA.
    Apparently, they've just started recruiting again and it seems they're not hanging around. Any ideas why the push?

7. Ninja_Stoker

The RAF opens & closes branches to recruiting. When the branch is open, they fill the requirement, get them into training then close the branch until there are again sufficient vacancies to run a course. Selection is based on merit rather than how long you have been waiting to join

The RN tends to keep branches open to recruiting, preferring to recruit those who want a particular job but are prepared to wait, if needs be. Our system is more expensive inasmuch as the more popular branches have more applicants than jobs immediately available and we have to keep selection elements valid.

Each system has flaws. The RAF only take the top achievers, if over-subscribed. We give everyone an equal chance if they make the grade, but the wait can be longer if there are more applicants than training places available - snag is, we get people trying to join quickly in under-subscribed branches, then trying to transfer and jump the queue.

8. Ninja_Stoker

One other thing I'd add with regard AET is that they are multi-skilled. An AET will work on an aircraft engine, airframe , avionics/electronics, radar, radio & armament whereas the RAF may well use a range of individual branches who are single-skilled personnel to do the same job that an AET is qualified to undertake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Jack of ALL trades now Ninja.
    Skill level will not approach RAF till at least leading Hand

10. Ninja_Stoker

De-enrichment has been a manpower saving device in all RN engineering branches since the demise of the artificer. It mirrors the civilian model.

You only have to look at manning levels on ships - HMS Ocean has the same sized ships company as a frigate, compare a GMD with the modern day T45 with regards the firepower:manpower ratio, etc.

There is obviously a fine line between adequate manning with adequate skills but the overall manning trend is downward with regards the ratio of aircraft to manpower. There will inevitably be a painful transition in the RAF at some point, if it is not happening already.

11. Ninja
    I have a lot to thank the RN for. As a pinky Wafu the trining I received was excellent, though not to the same level as an Artificer (spit) or Mechanician by the time I had finished killicks course I was entitled to fully skilled green card in civie street.
    The training allowed me to attend day release (thanks to the RN paying and giving time off) which then allowed me to attain the same educational qualifications as a Tiff.
    I understand that the AET will achieve this once he has completed AET qualifying course.
    My one complaint is that the day release and educational allowance were never mentioned until I was an old and bold P.O. Hopefully this has changed and ALL ratings are encouraged to USE their annual allowance

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja, my son is considering applying to be an Av Tech, either in the RN or the REME (he is adamant he doesn't want to join the RAF!). He's currently doing his A levels, including Maths and Physics, and is forecast to do well in both. Before we head off into town to the AFCO do you have any info regarding either that could sway him either way. I know in some trades the promotion prospects are limited due to a narrow CEG ( i.e. REME Shipwrights for one).
    Thanks, Maximus

• Like Like x 1
  13. I was at recent job fair representing my company not too far from RAF Wattisham (AAC Apache) and nearly everybody I spoke too was an Apache tech, speaking to them it appears 5 years is the most they appear to able to tolerate.

14. Ninja_Stoker

A wise young chap:)

All I can say is it depends on the aircraft types he wishes to work with. The Army, for the most part, obviously have the Apache & Wildcat combat aircraft, the RN have the Wildcat, Merlin and, appearing soon...the F-35 combat aircraft. Both also maintain training aircraft, but I'd venture that if overseas travel is one of his primary aims, then possibly the RN has the edge (notwithstanding Army deployments afloat, operating from RN warships).

Other than that? Well, the RN & Army don't have crimplene uniforms (which is cruel to crimples, obviously), we use nicer coloured uniform and erm, other stuff :)

...oh yeah, sense of humour. That was it.

15. One of the other difference's is you would be joining the senior service, and therefore, would not be a crab or a pongo;)

16. The RAF have moved more in to the Flight Line Mechanic role where they get a basic knowledge and carry out Flight Servicing and help out the trade they have joined up as. Its not until they go back on their trade course and come out with the circle around their trade badge are they fully qualified in their chosen trade.

It appears the RN (FAA) and the RAF keep re-inventing the wheel however never at the same time.

17. Thanks for your replies, gents. I'll pass it all on to him. :)