Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

AET daily work pattern?

TheRedMango

Midshipman
Hello, currently serving RM and looking to transfer to RN AET.. I've done lots of research on here and else where about AET and their roles etc but can't find anything on the daily work routine of AET's specifically based at Yeovil ideally as that's where I hope to be based...

Hello, currently serving RM and looking to transfer to RN AET.. I've done lots of research on here and else where about AET and their roles etc but can't find anything on the daily work routine of AET's specifically based at Yeovil ideally as that's where I hope to be based...

Assuming you are a lad on a squadron it generally goes something like this:

Normally work 24 about on squadron, which is 0700-1100 one day and then 1100-2200 the next. Actual times will probably very slightly depending on squadron. Works out though that every other week you thin out at 1100 on the Friday and are off until 1100 on the Monday which is decent.

However, every other week you'll have to expect a 2200 finish on the Friday. At the start of my career, quite often unless you were duty keys most people would be chopped by 2000 on the Friday but as time went on that shifted towards getting away at 2200 at the earliest and often staying later to avoid having to come in on the weekend to get stuff done.

Or you could end up on the night shift, which to be honest was much better. Less white shirt mafia around, so you're normally just left to get on with your work.

As for work, you'll generally turn up and muster. Duty killick will give the dit on what's going on for the day e.g. what cabs are flying and when (these will all need servicing before and after flight, refueling, marshalling and the like), what cabs need flexops (think lubrication, fluid levels, tolerance checks, electrical systems checks), what cabs have bigger jobs on (component changes and big stuff like that).

Some squadrons run a 'Plane Captain' system, where a few lads are assigned to the same aircraft for months at a time so you'll normally spend the day doing whatever is required of your particular aircraft.

You could end up in the issue centre as well signing tools in and out, or work in the maintenance unit which is normally 0800-1600 and involves the really big jobs on an aircraft meaning it is out of circulation for months at a time.

NB: This is all based on some pretty old information, so some things may have changed.

That's very helpful, similar to what I got told happens at Culdrose so going to assume it's the same at Yeovil. Sounds like a busy job compared to others...

Yeah, it's the same general structure down in Culdrose. Much nicer accommodation though (at least is used to be).

As you are RM, I would be surprised if you didn't get a CHF draft, but then again, nothing really surprises me about the unpredictability of the RN.

Some busy times, some quiet times. It changes depending the operational requirements at the time. But there are normally some rate chasers on a shift who will pull work out of the thin air to try and impress the higher ups.

I'm currently a RM mechanic so it sounds very similar apart from the shift work... I hope to either be in married quarters or living in Bristol and based at CHF

Latest Threads