AET - Artificer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rookie-WWFC, Mar 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly I've looked at other post's but can't find anything so i've started a new one.

Any idea in what percent of all AET's i'd need to be to be put forward to be an artificer?

Top 5% 10%?

I only found out about it whilst on my RPC and not sure i'd take up the option if it was offerred to me but am curious anyway, I was always in the top 5% at school and figure not all of them will be applying as AET's :p so i stand a decent chance.
  2. Erm...............................there are no more Artificers.
  3. Two posts mentioning Tiffs, (spit). And no-one spat!!!

Come-on, is tradition lost completely!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  4. What?
  5. Do keep up.
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

ET brought about the sad demise of the Artificer. The forces can't be elitist can they by promoting cleverer chaps quickly, that simply is not PC.
  7. Join the army thwey hace tiffs
  8. Come on Sam. I was there as well. LOL.

The way I understood it was that once you get to Leading Hand (LAET) you're trained to roughly the same level as a tiff used to be.

As far as I can remember they said roughly 2% of people get selected for a fast-track to LAET.

If anyone knows any more or I need correcting then I'm interested in any more info as well.
  9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Ddi yuo maek ti ot tfif?
  10. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

There are no more tiffs and nobody in the RN is being trained to the level of a tiff/ mech either academically or in handskills. Pusser no longer has the ambition, money or time to have a small highly skilled aspect to it's workforce it now chooses to have more people at a moderate level which they define as a technician. As someone pointed out the only artificers left in the entire Armed Forces are in the REME.

I think what you guys are referring to is fast track where you are given the opportunity to get to POAET quicker by a career management process.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Cheers CT, you just got there before me!
  12. That sounds about right (certainly sounds more correct than my attempt). They definitely said there was a fast-track scheme to LAET as well.

Is it possible they've split the fast-track into 2 seperate parts (I.e. first to LAET then you'd have to get selected again to go on the fast-track to POAET)?
  13. POAET that was the one, and it's top two percent? Chief Smith ignored that question Greg, forgive me for confusing it with Artificer there was a lot of information to take in.
  14. You can look at it that way.
    Or you can think that clueless fuckwitts (a minority of tiffs who gave tiffs a bad name) cant be promoted quickly for just being good in a classroom.
    It just means everyone has the same chance of being promoted, The best will still be promoted quickly.
  15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The ME's (ET) will find it very difficult to make chief as quick as a tiff did because of their career structure. I take your point about some gash tiffs, but don't blame them, blame the HOD's who let them get through fleetboards. For me to pass my boards I certainly had to prove that I had more to offer than "being good in a classroom". I'm guessing that you aren't a tiff yourself? :wink:
    As for those who do get fast tracked, they will still only be technicians, not artificers!
  16. My class was I fink the last mechs class at Daedloss, just as we started for real we had to change our uniform to shirt n ties and peaked cap with the little red badge 1983!

But we were still Lem (AW), (AR) AND (AL). But when passed out changed to PO tiffies, as the Mech branch was gone..

So without seeming out of touch and a complete numpty, (I left in 1997), what is the rank structure in the FAA now?
  17. No im not a tiff. I have nothing against tiffs. I know some very bad ones. But i know a lot more good ones.
    Im not doubting that ET ME's will not reach chief as fast as tiffs would. Im also not convinced that this is a bad thing.
    I was under the impression that by the time you were a PO ET (any branch you would be as qualified as a leading tiff would have been. Is this not true, or have i been told lies.
  18. The best will still be promoted quickly.

Erm, that is reliant on the divisional system is it not? And to be honest, there have been some duff POAEA's selected to CPOAET's course since it came into fruition, effectively overtaking the experienced CPOAEA's in the process. Not that the AE hierarchy value the experience of these CPOAEA's, given the email that I read recently..........

19. CG

The rank structure is being changed to AET, LAET, POAET, CPOAET, WO2AET, WO1AET. There are still legacy POAEM's, CPOAEM's and CPOAEA's. The promotion is still available for the aem's, although it is bound to slow down. CPOAEA's cannot get promoted unless they convert to CPOAET. This is done by being sent on a CPOAET's course (only if drafted into a billet (so Lynx boys only!) or your AEO sees a shortcoming of ACC holders on the NAS), or by sitting a fleet ACC (which is recognised as being harder than being spoon fed it on a course.

Unofficially, POAEM's can transfer to POAET stream without any recognised qualifications if they accept 7 years payback service!! I say unofficial as the DIN hasn't been released yet.

Oh, and there is only a 1% chance of CPOAEA's getting EC (extended career) from now on!
  20. So no tiffs and no mechs now just an AET branch..........makes sense really I guess. On my discharge papers bastards put me down as a feckin greenie with a little L bastards dropped the bombheads branch didnt they.