aet and maths

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by krisbnt, Feb 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HELLO EVERYONEI HAVE SPOKEN TO SOME OF YOU BEFORE AND I WOULD JUST LIKE TO ADD WHAT A GREAT INFORMATION SOURCE THIS SITE IS.

FROM TODAY IM BURNING OFF THE BEER BELLY AND GOING FOR THE NAVY BIG TIME! IM GOING TO APPLY FOR AET ( FOR THOSE OF YOU I HAVENT SPOKEN TO I APPLIED FOR WEAPONS TIFF AGES AGO AND FAILED THE MEDICAL BECAUSE I WAS OVERWEIGHT). I REALLY WANT MORE THAN ANYTHING THE CHANCE TO GO FOR FASTRACK DURING TRADE TRAINING AND ANYTHING I CAN DO BEFORE I GO TO HELP ME I WILL DO IT. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON THE KIND OF MATHS I SHOULD BE GETTING GOOD ON BEFORE I GO DOWN TO HELP ME. I KNOW ILL NEED ALOT MORE THAN MATHS BUT I AM SO DESPERATE TO MAKE THE BEST POSSIBLE START TO MY CAREER ILL DO ANYTHING!

THANKS IN ADVANCE! IM DONATING VERY SOON :razz:
    KRIS

2. I've been out too long to know what the current requirements are. However electrical calculations rely on a good knowledge of Trigonometry and Algebra. The ability to transform formula comes in handy. As you progress to higher levels you will need to learn calculus including J notation. However I doubt whether you will need this before Leading Hand status. If possible try and do a GCSE in maths before you join, if you already have this then it may be worth doing it again to increase your grade or just as a refresher ( must say I'm pleased all this is now behind me, maths wasn't my strongest subject and I really had to work at it).

3. AET IS ONE OF THE MORE DIFFICULT TRADES TO GET INTO- YOU'LL NEED GOOD MATHS AND ENGLISH SKILLS.

*cough*

Slim's got the right idea- GCSE maths is always a good start for a trade like that, whether you've got it or not. The exam is pretty much GCSE standard, so buying a GCSE revision book is a good place to start. After that, keep pushing your standards as much as you can- even if it means enroling on an A Level course. Having a tutor would be a big help, because you'd be able to get taught anything you think you may need. Of course you don't need that sort of thing, but if time allows and you're serious, it'd do no harm in getting really confident with formulae. It all depends how confident you are in the first place, i think! Let us know!

4. Hi thanks for your quick reply. I am 23 now and have a gcse in maths at grade c. I have some advanced maths books from when i started uni (but didnt complete the course it wasnt for me) i could start looking at them again as we did formula and calcus at uni for a bit. IVe really got to get on that advanced fast track route. I know some of you have recently joined and can i just ask how you started your fitness training. Gentle jogs a few times a week or gyms?
    Any info appreciated! this is going to be my year i hope :) :)

kris

5. Hi Kris,

Having a look at your books would definitely be a good idea. Make sure you fully understand what you're doing though, no point struggling along alone if you don't.

I started my fitness by running as far as i could on the treadmill (wasn't very far, but i did have a good excuse!). After that, ran the full distance at a reduced rate. From then on, i made sure that each time i improved, even if it was only by a minute or 30 seconds. I found that really helped. Jogging around the block would probably yield more results, but knowing the distance and speed is best figured out on a treadmill. Don't go nuts with fitness just yet, but keep it nice and steady. And make sure you're eating well.

I'm sure this year will be good for you!

6. Hey,
    Thank you for your response. I think i will take another look at the books as it cant hurt, I might also use the internet for help.

With regards to fitness im a member of a gym but probably have about 2/3 stone to lose before i can confidently go back to the afco in brum. I have measured the distance out in my car so i know where i need to run to and i might also see how long 2.7km takes me on the mill then chip away at it like you said. As the weight comes off im sure i will get better and better. ITs going to take time but thats ok as i want to join at the end of this year really. sooner wouldnt be possible i dont think. Already passed all the tests for weapons tiff 2 years ago and apparently they are still in date. Also passed the interview! what are you applying for snapdragon? ha i hate calling you that! i think i read that you recently got your start date etc so well done! im so jealous! i should be in there by now! but hey!

Kris

7. Yes, once you start off doing some more exercise, the weight will slowly drop away and your heart will get stronger too. Keep making positive moves, don't let yourself have a setback, and your confidence will soar.

I'm not a snapdragon, so you can call me Snaps or suchlike if you want ;) It's a random net name i've had for ages. Partly because i was so tickled by this page, partly because i love a bit of snap.

You'll get there soon enough, it's driving me mad waiting to join!

8. snapper

are you flirting with young kris

goodness sake woman let him get into uniform before trying to get him out of it.

9. Dear, no! I'm sure Kris is lovely but no, not interested! Uniform or not!