AET/Accom

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by FlyerBike, Dec 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm new here so apologies if there is a similar thread in existence - I have looked for one.

Long story short I've been dead set on a career in the military for the last year or so. I was all ready to go for Aircraft Technician Mechanical in the RAF, but I went to a careers fair two weeks ago which had the RAF and the RN, and I got talking to an Officer of the FAA. I hadn't even considered the RN up until then, despite my best friend being an ex-RN MEM, he keeps trying to talk me out of joining RN and going with the RAF.

My question is, and the main reason for my friend trying to talk me out of RN; is the accommodation whilst out at sea. What is it really like to live on a RN ship? From the videos it looks very cramped and apparently as an AET you live directly below deck and hear everything. also, as an AET, realistically, how often are you drafted onto a ship? and when you are on a naval air base, what is the accommodation like?

RAF accom post-training looks very cushy. And as someone who is currently craving some independance/private space I wonder if I would being able to live on a ship?

Any thoughts very welcome! Oh and I'm female by the way (in case that changes answers re: accom).

2. Join the RN, join the Armed Forces

Join the crabs, join the holiday Inn!

So it's up to you, grow a pair and get on with it or become as camp as Christmas and go light blue :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If you're a damn JR you all live below decks. I use to live in a gulch above the avcat tank, which was nice.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

4. By asking the question you already know the answer.

5. I used to sleep below the area where they conducted Harrier engine test runs. It was so noisy, it went beyond noisy to just vibration!

6. exJenny

Vibration throughout Wrens mess.

7. My own thoughts exactly, but if you don't ask you don't find out. I've heard that there are opportunities to work with the other forces on detachments anyway, does this happen much anymore?

8. We did all ours down the back end, therefore Sir you must have been in the wardroom?

9. 2P, port side, YO's grot. Life on a carrier as a YO was ****ing awesome!

10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

What he said, bore off and spin some dits about your 4 month deployments.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Very helpful, well done. I really don't see the need for there to be such hostility between the different forces. Surely if someone wants to join the miliary, in any capacity, it's a good thing.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

AETs, in the main, are drafted to a squadron. When the aircraft are shore side, so are the AETs - living in the same standard accommodation as their RAF equivalents. When the aircraft join a ship, so do the AETs. What your ex-MEM oppo overlooked is the fact the RAF F35 groundcrews will also do time at sea on carriers, same as the RAF Harrier groundcrews. If you want to travel, you need to be on a ship rather than an airfield.

13. exJenny

If you want to join the military then hostility is something you might need to get use to.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I've worked in male industries my whole life and currently work in a workshop, so banter, mostly over the line, isn't a problem, it's genuine hostility because you're from a different force that I can't understand. Surely we're all on the same side.. Anyway, I won't loose sleep over it.

Ninja_Stoker: good point, I'd hoped I could spend some time on a ship even if I go with the RAF. Cheers.

15. exJenny

What you seem to see as hostility is bog standard forces banter.

16. 800 had the right idea, with their cabins on 5 deck; stagger from the Wardroom and into one's scratcher and lulled to sleep by the soporific hum of the steering gear. 801, on the other hand, had much larger cabins but on 2 deck. It wasn't the SHARs landing, taking off, or even doing the high power ground runs (although the Doc got pissed off once and was wandering around with a decibelometermeasurerer). No, the real buggers were the chain gang seeing if they could throw the tie downs through the flight deck, followed by a chock or five. I've slept like a baby through a SHAR recovery but those buggers with their chains......Gggggrrrrrrr, shaking fist :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. I slept like a bat swaying between two cringle bars, on the mine deck, under fan trunking infested with three badge cockroaches and not least under asbestos lagged piping.Condensation cascaded down bulkheads,you were never quite dry and your kit was always musty. But;- the sun always shone,we had real Winters, nobody locked their doors and this were all fields when I was a lad. Sent by tapping morse code on my dustbin lid.

18. Sorry that was me :)

Also in the aft hangar above the sickbay when one of our greenies was malingering!

were 800 on 5 deck to be nearer to 5Q quiche store?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Do you not pay attention to defence in the news? We're far from all on the same side.

• Like Like x 4
  20. You can't do a naked 2 deck dash on an airfield. It just isn't the same!

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2