AET - A few quite specific questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jelwen1, Jan 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if anything here has been asked before but I couldn't see anything as in depth as what I'm after.
    I'm due to start as an AET but I've seen quite a few posts on here from people who seem to think that this job gets you out of sea time, or reduces it at least. If that was what I wanted then I would've applied to the RAF, and it's made me reconsider my choice of trade, can anyone give me a bit of insight as to why people say this/why it is/if that's even the case,
  2. It's true AET's don't do as much sea time as most branches, but it's just inter-branch banter, plus wafu's are shiny arsed inboard zits who sleep a lot ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. With the demise of fixed wing operations in the FAA , your sea time is limited!!! It is all rotary now ,and not all small ships have a dedicated flight . So it is self explanatory although we do have a couple of Carriers in service .HMS Ocean and HMS Illustrious, who is due to be decommissioned, shortly. Ps why do you want to go to sea??? It's not in any WAFUs things to do:nike:
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The reason is we have air stations, and the second line units stay at at home and don't necessarily deploy anywhere, as they are training squadrons. This is where the heavy maintenance is done. Just like taking a ship into Portsmouth for a refit. I agree the sea time has dropped a lot however I spent a lot of time on detachment over in Europe and the States.

You will find that the general service do take the piss out of the woo's for the lack of sea time however if they had tried harder in school......

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Presumably WAFUs will get more opportunites to go to sea once we have an aircraft carrier or two?
  6. don't big the scenario up!!!! We are only getting one Carrier, the other is being mothballed !! :sad7:
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The "average" AET, upon joining, will usually be told not to routinely expect to get a seagoing frontline job in the first four years.

Obviously it differs and you can be drafted to a seagoing ship as part of the resident Air Engineering Department but not all RN squadrons routinely serve afloat & the AET tends to belong to the aircraft rather than a ship. When the aircraft are on the ship (usually when it's underway) the maintainers are also. When the ship is alongside in UK, the aircraft are usually flown to the air-station.
  8. Tenner says we get both carriers.
  9. Where they carry on flying and don't just sit in a hangar. What ninja is saying ref being attached to an aircraft is true for a ships flight (i.e single aircraft squadron :)) however you may be attached to a junglie squadron for example, of a 10 or more aircraft and deploy with all or a few. You could in the bunch that goes or the bunch that stays at home supporting them.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  10. So it's almost pot luck for want of a better phrase? Thanks for the help though really cleared that up for me
  11. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

It really does depend on your aircraft type. Sea time should be ramping up again soon when we get junglie Merlin with folding heads and everyone back from Afghan.
    Look at the extra sea time the lads in the Ocean have had recently. That was totally unexpected for them.
    Even on non-seagoing units you can expect to get some sea time.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, I'd certainly hope the frequency and tempo of sea time pick-up over this next decade as a lot of people joining as AETs are often disappointed by the limited seagoing opportunities. The future carrier(s) and changes to CHF aircraft may well bring about these changes.
  13. And this is wrong?8)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Seems to me if you want to go to sea join any of the general service trades. If you want to work on aircraft - join any of the FAA trades.

I think the logic hasn't really changed over the eons!

If you want to go to foreign shores however or just travel, have rich parents, go to uni and take several gap years!!!!