Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Halifax, Mar 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (I can't search through as I'm using my netbook in Mcd's as no internet at home so trying to rush)

Anyway's... I had my Recruit Test today, I "was" going for the Warfare Communications Technician role. I was told that I didn't pass high enough for that and told I could go for the CIS role. This isn't exactly what I had in mind naturally. Anyway's on the way home I got thinking... I'd taken the test at short notice with no practice as didn't have the net at home, I was supposed to be doing it 12/04 but got on a cancellation instead because of this I had not had time to get my GCSE certs out of storage where they currently reside thus I hadn't handed them in and I'd completely blanked in telling them this with the nerves of knowing that I wasn't as prepared as I'd have liked.

Now I know I'm most likely clutching at straws here and have pretty much resided to the fact that I just didn't do well enough on the RT but I was just wondering what difference would not handing my Certs in have when they were considering what I was or wasn't suitable for?

As obviously some require qualifications whilst others don't...

Should I ring them?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The production of certificates prior to taking the recruiting test doesn't alter the required score for most branches, with the exception of qualified nurses joining as Naval Nurse who require a lower Recruiting Test score than potential Student Naval Nurses.

The pre-test administration routine permits the applicant to defer sitting the test at that juncture, it also asks whether you used the practice test booklet - and if you didn't, whether or not you wish to sit the test, with a signature box to complete if you wish to proceed.

A re-test is usually offered in 12 months - unless the individual is in full time education, when a partial reduction in this period maybe considered & potentially reduced by as much as 6 months.
  3. It wouldn't have made a difference.

Each job requires a specific score in the RT; you were considering a job which requires a really high score, a score which most people who sit the RT would have difficulty achieving.

You obviously scored highly enough for CIS, so there may be one or two other jobs open to you for which you have got the right score. There might also be the opportunity to re-take the test, but you will have to wait a while. Bear in mind that when you do, you might still fall short of the high score you need for CT. If re-taking does turn out to be an option, have a choice of jobs in mind, then, if you haven't reached the CT score, there will be other jobs on offer with which you will be happy.

I would suggest that you go in to see the Careers Advisor for a chat and to discuss the way ahead.

Edit to add: Apologies, Ninja, I hadn't seen your post when I started typing mine.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  4. I'll be honest, I figured as much. I did do the practice book last night and knew I'd struggle with the Mechanical comprehension, never been a strong point of mine although I'm certain I walked the first two completely, may have struggled on a few numerical questions.

Oh well, decision time, whether to go for the CIS role or wait 12 months and have another go. (I'm getting on at 25 so possibly not a wise idea).

Very gutted, I hadn't really looked at any other role either, I'd set my heart on it without realising just how high I would need to score.
  5. Although you are disappointed, of course, don't make a hasty decision on this. Think things through over the weekend and then arrange to re-visit the AFCO for a chat with the CA.

Don't dwell on this this evening; have something nice to eat and watch the TV, have a bubble bath or whatever works for you (that last one works for me ....) and sleep on it.

Over the weekend, look at the other jobs listed on the website, make a short list of the ones which would be right for you and then go in to see the CA for a chat and for his/her wise counsel next week.

It feels horrible, I know, but it will pass and this setback might turn out to be the making of you.
  6. It's very hard not to dwell when the it's the role that I've thought about but I appreciate what you're saying.

I've asked for some advice from someone I know currently doing the role I wanted but we'll see, it's a fantasy wanting to try again next year, time isn't on my side and who knows what life may bring in that year.
  7. I agree with both Ninja and Soleil, I left last year as a leading hand CIS, so Halifax, if you want any info on the CIS branch etc etc, message more, more than happy to help any way I can.

Like Soleil says, dont make any hasty decisions and just enjoy your weekend. (sorry to reiterate what you said Soleil)
  8. Perhaps you required more than 1 night of practice for such an important thing as a "job interview/selection process"?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wasn't planned. I knew I'd be fine with the first 2 sections and most of the 3rd sections. It was me trying to rush things and accepting a cancellation. Hindsight is a lovely thing.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst of little consolation, there's no minimum score in 'Mechanical Comprehension' section for Communications Technician, but you need to achieve an all-up score of around 75% correct overall to achieve a pass. The 'Reasoning' section requires the highest part-score to pass, the 'Numeracy' section requires the least correct.