Advice wanted for joining RN/RFA asap

Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post it.

I'll cut to the chase:
I'm at university and a member of the URNU, which I really enjoy. I want to leave university and join the regulars as soon as possible, and am only in my first year of a 4-year degree. I would prefer to join as an officer, but the only fast-track officer positions involve a degree or are submarine-based, which I don't think I could do. What level of difficulty is it to transfer from rating to officer? How long does it take, and what is the selection process like?

What should I do?

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post it.

I'll cut to the chase:
I'm at university and a member of the URNU, which I really enjoy. I want to leave university and join the regulars as soon as possible, and am only in my first year of a 4-year degree. I would prefer to join as an officer, but the only fast-track officer positions involve a degree or are submarine-based, which I don't think I could do. What level of difficulty is it to transfer from rating to officer? How long does it take, and what is the selection process like?

What should I do?
I hear what you say about joining as soon as practicable but I cannot help noting that the bulk of previous advice in relevant threads suggests that, if you have the qualifications and ability to enter as an officer, then that is the route that you should take.

Jack

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
What should I do?
In short, stay at university.

It's always difficult to give any advice on the basis of a few sentences on the internet. However, reading between the lines you are enjoying URNU so much that you want to do more of that, and less of your degree? Clearly I might be typing tosh.

The URNU, in my experience, get the best of all things. Low commitment, pretend commission, blatting about the coast in P2000; paid sea cadets, in effect. The other parts of the service (RN/RNR/RFA/RM/RMR) are not quite in the same place. I would enjoy the four years of URNU, given the chance, and run an application in tandem with your final year at university.