advice sought for RN grandfathers funeral re: sewing into hammock

My grandfather Frederick (Fred, Freddie) Warner, previously served on the HMS Illustrious, Tuesday 18th December 2018 he crossed the bar. His final wishes are that he is sewn into his navy issue hammock but i am unable to find any information on how this should be done. can anyone advise me on the protocol/process. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The undertakers are not sure as they have never had this request before. i am seeking info to pass on to them. if they are not able to sew him in, then it will be the responsibility of my dad (his son).

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Sorry to hear of your sad loss.

Does the family still have his Navy issue hammock, I wonder? If not, then they ain't issued any more and doubtless he knew that. Which HMS Illustrious did he serve on? WW2, presumably?

I always remember tales of the snitch stitch but honestly thought it only applied to those who died at sea and were subsequently buried at sea. We did it with the guys that died on my ship, down South.

Was it written into his Will or was he just a bog standard awkward bugger who also said he wanted to be buried at sea from a minesweeper on a Saturday in the Bay of Biscay when it was at least gale force nine?

~Thanks Ninja_Stoker. Yes, he was WW2 Illustrious, we have his navy issue hammock, his will does state he is to be sewn into his hammock, but wishes to be placed with his wife rather than a sea burial. We are just unsure how it is meant to be done, a relative said they saw a diagram somewhere online but couldn't find it again. the task is a little daunting. I am sure he would have loved the minesweeper in the bay of Biscay though haha.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why not instruct the Undertaker to wrap him in the hammock in his coffin, that would satisfy his wishes if it is in other ways to be a conventional funeral.

My grandfather Frederick (Fred, Freddie) Warner, previously served on the HMS Illustrious, Tuesday 18th December 2018 he crossed the bar. His final wishes are that he is sewn into his navy issue hammock but i am unable to find any information on how this should be done. can anyone advise me on the protocol/process. Many thanks in advance.
@angelspirit - Sincere condolences on your loss.

<<...In Nelson’s day they sewed the deceased up in a hammock, with the last stitch through the deceased nose including a couple of round shot at the deceased feet to ensure the body sunk...*>>

A snippet from these folk, who still undertake (unintentional Pun) Burials at Sea:

https://www.perryandphillipsfunerals.com/burials-at-sea/

*I believe that a version of this practice continued up to & incl. WW2, if not beyond. The gruesome lot usually fell to the sailmaker. He and those assisting him were fortified with rum for their grim task as remains from action were often just that.

Perhaps your Undertaker could liaise with Perry & Phillips?

Alternatively, and to keep within the spirit of your Grandfather's wishes, maybe your own undertaker could stitch the deceased up in that hammock then place him into a standard coffin for burial or cremation?

If the latter then the ashes could be committed to the deep at a convenient date later:

From https://www.portsmouth.anglican.org/chaplaincy/naval/

<<...The committal of ashes at sea of former service personnel is conducted according to the dignified traditions of the Royal Navy by a Service Chaplain from a Fleet tender just off Spithead. Please contact the Chaplaincy for further details...

Contact Us
The Naval Chaplaincy Team in HMS Nelson and HM Naval Base Portsmouth can be contacted on 023 9272 3000 or by email [email protected]. ...>>

Hope this helps at an especially difficult time for you & your family at Christmas time

Best Regards from Bob L