Advice please !

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Su3Su3, May 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My 17 year old daughter has just been for the informal Q&A session and wants to progress further. However, she mentioned that she suffered from migraines - some 3 years ago and this was eventually put down to having the wrong prescription glasses. She is now worried that this will stop her getting into the navy. She is going to see our GP to get a letter explaining the headaches were a result of the wrong prescription and that she only has to wear glasses very occassional - usually for a lot of computer work.
    She has not had a migraine (if indeed they were migraines) for over 2½ years now.
    Please advise what she should do.
    Thanks you in advance.

2. Su3Su3

Welcome to Rum Ration!

We are very fortunate in having on board a serving Royal Navy Doctor who answers medical questions such as this one.

I'm pretty sure that he will be here doing a ward round at some point in the next 24 hours and will add a reply then.

3. I'd call then headaches instead of migraines, as that us what they were (if things are as simple as you state).

That being the case, I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems at all.

Why are you asking and not her, for a matter of interest?

4. Thanks Angry Doc - I'll pass this on to her !
    My daughter didn't ask the question personally as she was on a train at the time and I searched the net for advice on her behalf ! I have now made her aware of this site and she is very excited about it and will join within the next few days !

5. Angry Doc - just one other question - 'B' (my daughter) had an emergency appendectomy in January of this year (keyhole surgery) she is absolutely fine now and is wondering if this will affect her application ?
    Thanks in advance for your assistance
    Mum Su3Su3

6. Are you American? We tend do have appendicectomies here. Neither operation would impact on her joining as long as there were no significant complications.

7. No I'm British and proud - just not very good with medical jargon !
    Thats wonderful news - she thought she would have to wait 12 months from the date of the operation.
    Thanks again - I wish my GP was as quick as getting back to me as you are !

8. Really? I would have referred to it as an appendectomy, and I hate Americanisms. Curiously, when one searches Google for both on UK sites, one comes up with about 150,000 hits for appendectomy, and 20,000 for appendicectomy. The ratio is similar for appendectomies vs appendicectomies. There are several hits for nhs.uk using appendectomy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slow day Joe??

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Just how bored are you JC

11. They all are at the moment.
    Exceedingly.

12. Don't worry, Su3, British doctors have to use US medical terminology, too, when we write for American and other non British medical journals, otherwise our papers would not be accepted. AD's sniffy reprimand, for that is what it was, was supercilious and unnecessary as it was unequivocally obvious that all your references were to RN entry.
    BTW, your GP wouldn't necessarily have the information you were seeking and probably wouldn't see addressing your questions as having a high priority. Time on the golf course would be another matter, of course.

13. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Leave Joe alone. He is OC all things grammatical and English.

14. Not quite true. I am merely the on-watch dictionary bosun.

15. Joe, it is without doubt, appendicectomy in the UK and some other former colonies but every UK/British commonwealth medic immediately understands what is meant when the American form is uttered. Many UK doctors seem to be extremely irritated by the lay use of US medical terminology. Blame ER, St Elsewhere, Chicago Hope, Grey's Anatomy and the like, or even medical comedies like Scrubs, because that's where so many British laypersons get their medical terminology. Having said that, I get irritated with British news announcers and politicians using US pronunciation of medical terms common to the US and the UK when there are distinctly different and long established British pronunciations.

16. I wasn't doubting that, just that this particular Americanism seems to have slipped into common usage, and if it wasn't for the vigilance of the MOOG, most of us would be none the wiser.

17. So, why the, "Really?"? That indicates contention.
    You won't find "appendectomy" in any official British medical publication and you won't hear it used in any British medical environment, so I wouldn't say it is in common usage here. If you, "...hate Americanisms...", I'd have thought you'd defend the continued use of the British form rather than taking issue with someone who is bound to know the score somewhat better than you, even if the purpose of his reference to the matter was to deliver a bit of a high handed slap down.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  18. As a reviewer for 2 journals (one UK-based, one US-based), I would not correct regional phraseology as they relate to the institution the paper originated from. For example, see this link for hits of 'appendectomy' in the EMJ, a British journal. Similarly, 'appendicectomy' will generate hits in American journals. If one was performing a literature search, both terms would of course have to be specified.

My query was as to whether Mum was American or not - nothing to do with RN entry.

Not sure if that is a veiled attack on me, or perhaps I am getting paranoid, but for the nth time on this forum - I am not a GP. I might add that I usually get on with radiographers, but I have obviously met a brick wall with Mr Bandy_E. Oh well, life goes on.

19. Hey guys I didn't realise (realize) my question would provoke such a response !
    Thanks once again AngryDoc for your help.

• Like Like x 1