Advice please??

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by lcfc, Feb 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

I went for my RT last October to join as a logistics officer after graduation next year, but didn't manage to make the grade. I am going back for a retake this October, however in the meantime I have put myself on the waiting list to join as a writer, in the hope that if (hopefully not) I fail to make the grade again, I am at least on the waitng list as a writer.

I look into careers after uni and all I really want to do is join the RN because I love being at sea, and believe the RN lifestle would be second to none. However, although I know I want to join the RN as an officer, I'm not sure if I want to join as a rating for numerous reasons. So the advice.....if I join as a rating, what are the chances of a commission from the ranks? Should I simply look into other careers if I do not make officer entry, or is it realistic to actually rise right through the ranks?

Hope this makes sense and sorry for the essay, if it doesnt make sense just say and I'll try to rephrase lol
  2. Anything is possible and I know several people who have achieved a commission from the RN having joined as a Rating or similar starting level, including at least one member of this very site. If you truly wish to join the RN then revise hard for the RT and if you pass for Officer then brilliant, if you dont then there's nothing wrong with joining as a rating. To serve your country is as honorable and worthwhile as anything surely
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's not often I find myself agreeing with an Officer, but regrettably I'd have to concur the above is 100% spot on.

4. Hi, thanks for that reply, I have to say it is exactly what I expected to hear to be honest with you.

All i want to do is be a RN officer, any other career option just doesn't interest me in the slightest. Not making the last RT however has made me look into other options and joining as a rating seems like the next best thing. Although there are too many reasons for me not to join as a rating, which makes me think a career as a rating is not right for me, as I do understand a career in the RN requires 100% dedication, which I dont think I would have as a rating.

I think I should take my RT in October and IF I dont make it this time, look into other career options, its just with the current cutbacks etc etc, it doesn't look good

Thanks again
  5. Could I just clarify what you mean by the section which I have underlined please? Confused of London.
  6. Yes sure, knew it didn't make too much sense,

I went for my RT last October hoping to join as a logistics officer, but didnt get the required mark (just), and so I am now on the waiting list to be a writer.

However I am retaking my RT this October, hoping to get enough to go for officer,

hope that made more sense