Advice please

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by ben_, Sep 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I achieved CCC in my alevels recently and have a place at the University of Portsmouth, however i am unsure what to do. Are 3 Cs good enough to join successfully as an officer, I am aware that it is over the 180 ucas point target but surely there is stiff competition for places? Should i go to university and join the URNU or the RNR or resit some exams next year and increase my grades and get some life experience?

Any advice would be very helpful.

2. Others wiser than me can give you chapter and verse on the ucas points / officer entry story. My understanding is that CCC is fine for entry. The key thing is passing AIB and then getting through training at BRNC- which is independent of your A level results.

That said, I'm very clear that going to university is the best thing you could do right now. In this day and age having a degree is not optional- particularly if at some stage in the future you decide the Mob is not for you. In any case, the experience of university is great fun and not something you would ever regret doing before joining up.

I spent 3 years as an URNU student- great fun, hard work (if you do it right) but well worth it. It's a great insight into the RN and definitely a life experience in itself.

Hope that helps

3. ben

What are you reading at Portsmouth?

4. International Business Studies, and thanks P2000 for the reply it has been very helpful.

5. Do you live within a reasonable distance of an Armed Forces Careers Office at the moment, by the way?

6. yeh about 45 minutes away.

7. There might be an ACLO there with whom you could have an informal chat about joining as an Officer - which Careers Office would you go to?

8. Peterborough, i think that would be a good idea.

9. ben

Peterborough's Office is at:

21 Hereward Centre
    Peterborough
    PE1 1TB

Give them a call and arrange to go in - let them know that you are interested in applying as an Officer and would like to chat things through with the ACLO, if you can.

Tel: 01733 568833

E-mail: [email protected]

By the way, by my calculation you have 240 UCAS points, so that's not a problem.

In the meantime, I know that you will get other answers to your question on this thread which will help you.

10. thanks for all the help soleil, i'll give them a call now.

11. Ben, if you dont get into the URNU, look into joining a local TA unit in Southampton. You wont be eigible to be deployed whilst you are a uni student, and being around older people in a military environment, not just other students like you will be in an URNU, will increase your confidence tenfold. You will probably get much fitter too. Being in the TA will go down just as well if not better at AIB than being in the URNU, as theyll know youll be pushed further physically and mentally in the TA than you will be in the RN.