Advice please.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ryanryan2121, May 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everybody, i have my initial meeting tomorrow at the AFCO which i'm actually quite excited about. It's nice to get the ball rolling. I'm applying for a job as a marine engineer. Was really just wondering roughly how long the whole process takes, from initial meeting through to starting at raleigh? As i still have a full time job and am a bit worried about the logistics of it all.
    Thank you.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi, welcome,

The fastest you can currently complete the selection process and physically join as an ET(ME) is 6 months, however you may request not to join before a certain date if you wish.

Good luck.
  3. Thats good to know, i was actually hoping it would be sooner, but Oh well. I'v had enough of my job and want to get out.
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
  4. By the way am i the only person thats going to wear a suit for my meeting? I'm worried it may be too much.
  5. By the way am i the only person thats going to wear a suit for my meeting? I'm worried it may be too much.

Can`t really help you with that one, but give me their names and adresses and i`ll pop round and ask them for you. :w00t:
  6. Perhaps i should have worded that a bit better. I basically meant have anybody on here else, worn a suit to the initial meeting?
  7. Why wouldn`t you want to wear a suit?

Nah mate, go along in torn jeans a minging T shirt, and damaged trainers, you`ll be fine.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. start a trend, its what they seem to wear ashore anyway. :w00t:
  8. Thats good to hear, i thought it would be a good idea, first impressions and all that. Just wasnt to sure as it just says informal. Oh well it can't hurt.
    Thank you.
  9. Ryan

Without wishing to put words into Higs mouth i can safely say that he was pulling your leg. Wearing a suit to any interview is the best way of creating a very good impression of yourself. coupled with highly polished black shoes and something to put your paperwork in and i'm pretty sure you will stand out from the crowd and shine.

Short answer. Wear the suit :thumright:
  10. Thats great, thank you i'll keep that all in mind. Speaking of paperwork will i need to take anything with me? Or don't i need birth certificate/passport etc. Until later on?
    Thank you
  11. No problem Ryan glad to help. Unfortunately i'm not the person to ask reference documentation but i'm sure ninjastoker will be along in a minute to help. If not PM him as he's a good egg with all things AFCO!!
  12. Hi Ryan

I hope that this clarifies things for you.

My partner is an AFCO recruiter for the Royal Navy and would have answered this himself but he is out tonight (apparently there's some sporting event on the TV this evening ...............................)

So I telephoned him and asked for his opinion. He said that, for the initial meeting with your advisor, an actual suit might look a bit too much ...... He recommends "smart casual" so I asked him what he had in mind and he said "you know, chinos, smart shoes, neatly ironed polo shirt ..." He said that later on, when you have your proper Interview, a suit will be just fine, but initially go for smart casual.

By the way, I didn't ask him about taking your passport, documents etc. but in my opinion, it will look very smart and well-prepared if you take something like a zip-up folder with anything you might find useful, passport, exam certificates etc. You might not need them but the advisors like candidates who come into the office having thought things through and prepared themselves and look well-prepared.

I think that you are going to do really well tomorrow. Pls post a message for us all so that we can hear about your AFCO visit. It sounds like this will be the beginning of the time of your life!
  13. Thank you soleil, it was good of you to make such an effort. thats really good to know, tell your partner i'm grateful for the advice.
    Will be sure to keep it all in mind and will definately write a post saying how i got on.
  14. no no no!!

go in there dressed in your memphis belle flying jacket covered in squadron badges.

crack an enormous fart out when sitting down, scratch your balls at every oppurtunity.

tell the AFCO that you want to dodge ships like the plague, get to turn to occasionally due to Partial TAG, demand a front of the scran chit

and by god son

monday morning you'll be a WAFU.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yup, same applies if you're a bloke too. :thumright: